What Drives Habituation? Physical or Mental Aspects?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TtotheInnitusBoy, May 30, 2016.

1. TtotheInnitusBoy
      Balanced

TtotheInnitusBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, manufacturing and genetics I guess.
      I really do believe that the volume and pitch of tinnitus is not (only? Necessarily?) the detrimental factor of habituation? I think it is more so to do with acceptance of one's condition? From what I have read here, those who are struggling to habituate are the ones who are generally anxious, angry or depressed about their T? I am yet to see a somewhat more humerous complaint towards T or the inability to habituate, ie making it just background noise. I know it's not possible to compare individuals' physicality of T without a state of the art laboratory and an audiologist, however, from what I can infer from the hundreds of posts I have read, my T appears to be on the more piercing side of the spectrum? Ie, it's a high pitched frequency that isn't masked by my daily routines, such as frying an egg etc. It's only hidden when listening to my iPod with dre beats just after quarter going on to middle volume (completely track dependent). T, or rather more precisely my situation, just doesn't bother me now.I hear it all the time over things, but it's just there, complete background noise now. I generally only focus on it when there is complete silence and my mind is not active. If I was to pick up the iPad, or a book, I lose track of it and only notice it if I actively think of my T. People here seem angry that they have T. I was at first, as my situation was that I acquired it through doing a medically recognised technique to clear a blocked Eustachian tube, but I am now at peace with the situation. The way I see it, most people do not get T from doing the valsalva, so I probably had genetic vulnerability to T anyway in some shape (possibly fuelled by years of iPod use, playing the guitar and working in manufacturing). Again, I tell myself, I cannot be angry with my past actions, I cannot reflect on what I could have done differently because chances are, I was always going to be that 1 in 10 that acquired T. Limiting my past actions may of simply delayed the onset at best. For me, rightly or wrongly, those who seem predisposed to anxiety/depression find it harder to habituate, irrespective of the nature of their T? I think looking at the demographics, the majority of T sufferers do indeed suffer intrusive T, whereby it is difficult to mask out during everyday tasks, however, only 10% of T sufferers describe theirs as having an impact on their quality of life. More so, I believe that the only T sufferers who actively speak about their T are the ones who are struggling to habituate, making the perception of T possibly worse than it is given for the entirety of the suffering population. This website, possibly only attracts T sufferers who again are struggling to cope mentally, again skewing the perception of T to those who are new to it or do not have it. It's fascinating that most of the posts are written by members who joined within the last year or two. Either T gradually gets better physically, or people adapt mentally to where it's not even an issue to post about anymore. I have only been on this site for week or so, though my T hasn't got any better, I am thinking of leaving soon, as I am now at peace with my T. Last Sunday, believe it or not, I was crying in my bed full of regret and anger due to possibly medical malpractice? Now I'm dancing around in my living room to music (like I used to, but less than half volume now of course) and I am feeling, well nothing, just a void feeling of acceptance. Does this explain why some feel misunderstood, possibly even mistreated by a diverse group of qualified professionals, such as GP's, as they deal with the entire population and not just a possibly biased sample? Just a thought? But anwyay, I am off to go back to my normal way of life after this whole T thing . . .

2. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      People who are anxious are probably more prone to get t in the first place. I hate to break it to you but if you've read hundreds of posts on this site that probably includes you too. You should also realize that there are many people on here who acquired their T as part of a medical condition (i.e. traumatic brain injury, Meniere's Disease, etc). Their experience is going to be very different from yours in that it is not just the T that is impacting their lives.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TtotheInnitusBoy
      Balanced

TtotheInnitusBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, manufacturing and genetics I guess.
      Yes, you're right, I was very anxious to "fix" my situation. But I have now just come to peace with it all after an entire week of constant reflection. Now, my T doesn't seem as bothersome as it was when it first came on. I feel for those who have T as a symptom of deep rooted health cause, you're right, I cannot see things from their perspective as they are much more overwhelmed.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I will make a comment about this and i do mean it in the best interest of this forum. Dealing with tinnitus all comes down to mentality. I have super loud electric generators going off in my ears 24/7...I deal with it. I have psoriasis and skin issues that happen at the wrong times (i was at the gym and my face broke out in scabs and rashes..out of nowhere), I kept working out and laughed at it. I will not let anything beat me and get the best of me... Due to benzo/levaquin overdosing from stupid doctors...now my body has severe muscle inflamation/arthritis.

I juggle multitude of issues but still I laugh and love my life and do not let tinnitus or anything make me a victim. My skin is super tough and thats my life. Accepting tinnitus and not hating it is the key, yes it sucks...

on top of that 2 parents passed away in last 3 years as well...so take it from me....I could be posting so much negativity on this forum, but i have learned that accepting is the key and the only way to escape life's madness..

You people can do the same, trust me :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

mb5hn.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      To be honest, it could be many factors.
      i think my t, started after a big anxiety episode, but also i gave my ears a hard time during my early 20s lol.
      but i have always been the "easy to adapt" kind of guy
      right now my tinnitus is a 2-3 out of ten, sounds like tv white noise machine.
      and to be honest i would not say that after 3 months i have habituate.
      but the noise doesnt bother me anymore, what bothers me is the risk of making it worse or not being able to help it.
      but my need to feel alive and enjoy every moment has make me not fearing the sound and being able to do other things, i think you must be willing to move on from anxiety in the first place, to fully habituate.