When It Got Better, It Was Like a Miracle.

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Leigh H, May 5, 2016.

1. Leigh H

Leigh H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi all

Read Chris's story so I would get motivated to tell mine. It is true when T lost its power over me then I stopped visiting sites looking to calm my anxiety. You will probably find more stories on line with people struggling with their T then having success. Most of the success stories never get written because we go back to our old lives. I have tinnitus now for 10 months but I first noticed a reduction just after 3 months. I started getting more sleep, less anxiety sickness and long periods when I wasn't aware of it. By the 6 month mark, made a commitment to return to all my old social activities, one step at a time. At 9 months it virtually doesn't touch my life at all. Flare ups are nearly always attributed to stress or lack of proper sleep. The noise is there much of the time but I have to listen for it to know.

I am absolutely amazed at the power of the brain to find its own remedy. The best description I can find is it was like a high pitched dentist drill inside my brain. In my younger days there was no such thing as an atheistic for teeth drilling. I hated that noise. With the onset of T, 2-3 hours sleep a night was all i could expect despite using sleeping tablets. I refused to attend any social activity, even my only grand child first birthday. I initially couldn't face going to work and talking to people, spending my time walking or doing jobs around my house with white noise ear phones. I eventually went back (white noise ear phones straight on when not taking to people (real estate agent), hiding the anguish but it helped a little to keep me distracted. I would count each hour down to the end of the day and the afternoon walk would give me some relief. I would do all the house work, cooking, car cleaning, anything to keep me distracted. My days were strict with protocol, if friends or family visited then the visits would need to be short term and times when I thought I could best cope, The best measure is I lost 15 kilo in 3 months because of the constant churning in my stomach. I considered topping myself and started planning how. My wife was very sick at the tiime and needed high care so that also helped distract me. I told my family and friends to give me 6 months to return to some sort of reality. I didn't believe it because online stories tended to say 12 to 24 moths before any real improvement if any, I was wits end. At 3 months, my stomach sickness started abating, I new I was turning the corner.

I tried a concoction of remedies, no shortage of them on line. These are the ones I recommend. 1. CBT therapy - study mindfulness, muscle relaxation and ask for advice on good CBT books. 2. I used tinnitus retraining therapy (neuromics). Cost around $6,000. 3. Ginkgo biloba. 4. Used anti anxiety medicine (lovan). I think this was important for me. At the end of the day, it is probably the brains ability to habituate.

No more is it painful, very occasionally it is bothersome. In no way does it affect my enjoyment of life. In some ways I am thankful for the experience as CBT therapy taught me to enjoy life. Don't sweat the little things anymore. When pain of any cause does occur I am much better equipped to cope. House not so clean, yard not so tidy, cook spasmodically, life is back to normal!

I wish you all similar success (from Australia)

• Like Like x 20
      • Winner Winner x 6
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thankyou for sharing ...

3. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for sharing! I promise that when I get better, I'll come back and do the same!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Thanks for sharing Leigh. -- That is the best way to describe my T, a very high pitch dentist drill in my right inner ear.

It still bugs the heck out of me after 7 months but not nearly as bad as in the beginning. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leigh H

Leigh H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi all
      Thanks for your replies. For those who are struggling , I strongly urge you to to google. cbtfortinnitus then go to "my story". Dr Hubbards story so closely resembled mine and gave me the most hope that I would survive it. I read it and reread it. When feeling down I read. When I wanted my family to unstandardised what I was going through I gave it to them to read. This was to assure them I will get better. I followed his advice closely and challenged myself as I went along to listen to the noise for as long as possible and not be afraid of it. Mt favorite line of his is Learn to live in harmony with it and not with the devil..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Thank you! I am a 61 year old physician with onset of sensorineural hearing loss on 4/2/2016. I have very loud tinnitus, I took both oral and intratympanic steroid and the last five weeks have been hell. Thinking about suicide, but I will never do it! Can't concentrate in office or at home, became a recluse! How long does it take to feel almost normal ?

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. jason brown
      Irritated

jason brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Just discovered this forum, and this is the first story I read.

Had tinnitus since 1997.

Most days it's 'not a problem' but then it wears me down again and feel like jumping off a bridge, and have to build myself up all over again.

Got refused for medical trials of MDMA, not right uptake genes or something.

Will keep reading.

• Like Like x 1
    8. trocobob

trocobob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe stress ?
      Habitation takes about 3 to 6 months . When you hear it try to just to avoid négatives réaction smls and emotions.

Everything will be fine . I had it from 1/2016 and there are some days which i forget to have it.

Avoid stress and négative thinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Thanks @Leigh H for your story. Hopefully I'll be in your position one day although it has already been longer since onset for me.

Can I ask you what state you are from?

10. Anna051

Anna051 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you @Leigh for sharing your story. A high pitched dentist drill describes the noise in my ear too. I'm having a hard time with anxiety, especially in the morning. Do you still need to take anti anxiety meds?

11. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Where do I apply for this? :)

12. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ahah yeah in what region xD?

13. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Very sorry to hear about your hearing loss. How did your react to the steroids? Was it helpful or did it make it worse?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Steroids did not help me
      It's almost 5 months still having T and hearing loss @racerfish

15. EddieMar
      Wishful