When Will Stem Cell Therapy Be Available for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Beste, Jun 5, 2016.

?

When Will Stem Cell Therapy Be Available for Tinnitus?

1. In 5 Years

2. In 5-10 Years

3. In 10-15 Years

4. In 15-20 Years

5. Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      What do you think about it?

Now, scientist can make people who unfortunately had stroke walk and talk again but they still can not make it happen for tinnitus. Sounds weird to me(Bear in mind that I barely have any scientific knowledge in general)

If you can explain your answers with scientific studies on the subject I'd be happy.

Thank you

• Like Like x 4
    2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i agree, cant understand why it has not been tested on tinnitus, BUT i guess we could "demand it" we are a lot suffering with this, the main problem is that we are told to "go and try to live with it" and thats what we do, instead of join forces and ask for a decent therapy

• Like Like x 4
    3. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      When I back from Thailand I will tell you when stem cell be available for tinnitus?:LOL:

• Like Like x 6
      • Creative Creative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      We can't wait monacco :)
      Now, I'm also considering stem cell therapy but I'm not sure which stem cell clinic is the best for tinnitus. I know ATEOS got this treatment two times and he claimed the hospital was better than the clinic in Thailand. But I really do not know the name of this hospital.

5. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      It's just really hard to tell Beste. I know there are researchers out there working on stem cell repair for hearing loss. There are two researchers who have the right idea about using stem cells for auditory nerve damage. I'll link their information below.

A study performed in 2015 by the University of Kyoto showed that placing differentiated stem cells onto the glial scars that form after damage has taken place inside the regions where the auditory neurons are, showed much better results in regeneration than transplanting the stem cells into the glial scars. More information linked below about that.

I'd reccomend checking out the Otostem website I linked below. It's basically a supergroup of researchers who have partnered together to create treatments with stem cells for hair cell and auditory nerve hearing loss. Although there hasn't been any updates on the site, it's still very cool.

It's best to just read into the publifications of researchers associated with this issue.

(1) Marcelo Rivolta - Professor of Sensory Stem Cell Biology - The University of Sheffield: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/bms/research/rivolta ---- http://www.otostem.org/

(2) Charles Liberman - Harvard Medical School - Harold F. Schuknecht Professor of Otolaryngology
      Vice Chair of Basic Research, Department of Otolaryngology -
      Massachusetts Eye and Ear - Director, Eaton-Peabody Laboratories
      Senior Scientist: http://www.masseyeandear.org/research/investigators/l/liberman-m-charles

(3) Testuji Sekiya - Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery - Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine:
      http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en/research/research_results/2015/150616_1.html -----http://www.labome.org/expert/japan/kyoto/sekiya/tetsuji-sekiya-902287.html

Articles you might be interested in reading:
      (1) http://www.hearingreview.com/2016/02/plasticity-brain-compensates-damaged-auditory-nerve-fibers/

(2) http://www.hearingreview.com/2014/0...anism-nerve-fiber-loss-discussed-asa-meeting/

(3) http://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/

(4) http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/tinnitus-and-hidden-hearing-loss

*I would include more publifications and documents but it's actually very rigorously time consuming doing all the searching/copying/pasting/organizing on an iphone. Wishing I had my laptop, but I'm unfortunately working at a golf course right now.

• Like Like x 6
    6. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      @monacco when are you going? I wish I could afford to do that too.

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If I won the lottery I'd give stem cell therapy a shot. I would even fund a handful of other tinnitus sufferers to do the same to have a small scale study.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Alue, if you're speaking about the many stem cell clinics around the U.S. and other countries, then I'm afraid you won't find much help getting those treatments done. Let alone pay such a high price for them.

Most in the U.S. are not FDA approved, the stem cells they use are not the correctly differentiated kind to treat your hearing matter, and these clinics transport the stem cells through i.v.'s. Any sort of treatment for hearing involving improvement would have to be using a transplantation method directly into the inner ear for hair cells or in between the inner ear and brain for the auditory neurons.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Thank you so much for all the links and information Nick. I'm definitely going to check them. It is always good to learn new things about T. I'll try to contact with some researchers you mentioned about my ototoxic induced with no detected hearing loss.

If I get any reply from them I will let you all know here.

• Like Like x 2
    10. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      If I won the lottery I would establish a research institute. Actually that's kind of been a dream of mine. To establish a research institute with biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, etc. labs with a HUGE library full of books. Kind of like the central library in the anime Fullmetal Alchemist...

• Like Like x 4
    11. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      Hopefully in our lifetime, no promises. War might break out, it may never happen. Best not to have any expectations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Heck Im thinking of stem cell. Tired of suffering in a country that could care less. By country I mean the Gov. Theres a place in Tiajuana tht uses the umbilical cord. Of course they claim fa nominal results. And they claim they can cure tinnitus. Iwas checking out StemGenix in San Diego. I have tinnitus but I also have many auto immune illnesses- Neeouropathy which Tinnitus is another form of, Low thyroid problems.
      IBS and so on. Mostly Auttoimmune I wished I knew that the tinnitus is also auto-immune.

13. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Of course the best clinic will have the higher prices. let us know the best if you find it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      If I had a million dollars.........................

• Like Like x 1
    15. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I'm no scientist but I believe that stem cells are the answer for tinnitus, hearing loss, and so many other ailments. I just hope I'm around long enough to benefit.

• Like Like x 2
    16. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      You could have a billion dollars, makes no difference, you aren't going to cure yourself of T.

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      But still if you had a million dollars you can donate it to action on hearing loss and help Marcelo Rivolata :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The first clinical trial of stem cells in the United States to regenerate damaged cochlear hair cells causing hearing loss started in 2014, results are supposed to be released in early 2017. The study is with children using their own cord blood stem cells, but if it is effective it helps pave the way for adults as a next step...

http://www.cordblood.com/press-release/hearing-loss

• Like Like x 1
    19. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i have talked to marcelo rivolta again, and they are testing steam cells on menieres disease early next year.
      it should be exciting, i hope they have postive results for tinnitus, vertigo and the hearing loss that comes with endolymphatic problems.

marcelo told me that the vestibular project is supported by the Wellcome Trust.

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stem cell research is helping tinnitus. There have been a few patients that their tinnitus has unproved with stem cell.

21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm sure something could be done....you could rent a silent MRI machine (necessary for the operation) and hire that Swiss neurosurgeon to zap some of your abnormal brain cells....As of now, they don't have silent MRI machines for High Frequency Ultrasound therapy - because they are curing other diseases with it.
      Or you could buy the rights for the AUT drug and improve on the drug and run some more trials (we had a woman here who swore it improved her tinnitus!). And if it worked you would get your money back too lol.

22. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
    23. Mattybriand

Mattybriand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Afghanistan
      Anything?

24. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      @monacco never got back from Thailand?

25. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      @Mario martz did they started the trial with stem cells?

26. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Who has improved with stem cells?