Who Else Has Multiple Tones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul10, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I've developed a new tone at the opposite end of the scale. Ultra low to go along with ultra high, along with a few others in between. Just when I think I'm on the right track, I get punched by tinnitus yet again. I always try to remain positive about this, but this new one has been a real body blow for me. Can't mask tones at opposite ends of the scale, even if my hearing is very good. HmmmmmmEEEEEEEE.

Feel like I'm a one-off when it comes to tinnitus. Hope fading, but not gone yet. Someone tell me this is going to get better. Good luck all.

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hey Paul,

hang in there buddy. I am juggling 3 tones right now. 1 high sharp pitch tone. 1 vacuum / air conditioner tone and a tone that you hear when taking a hearing test (some times).

The air conditioner tone is the newest one and I have had this one for about 3-4 years. At first I was like, no...not another tone/new sound. I was bummed about it, but it got better and I accepted it and moved on. You are not happy with the new tone, I totally get it. I feel your pain 100%, just do know that In time (And If you don't fight against it) it will be ok. You CAN cope and adapt to this new tone and whatever tinnitus throws at you buddy.

Try to relax and one thing I have learned in my life, is to not ask WHY. Don't ask WHY, did this new tone come. Asking WHYs, does no good. Accept it and move on and face the issues of today and possibly tomorrow.

Be well, and if you or anyone needs support, I am always here for you guys :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi Paul, I've got multiple tones and hissing sounds. Occasionally I get the feeling of electricity in my brain (zaps, weird sounds etc). How long have you had tinnitus? One thing I can say from my experience is that the initial tinnitus I had for 13 years or so was not a problem for me. When my increase happened almost 2 years ago it devastated my life. What I found after the increase was my tinnitus in the first year or so was very unsettled, it constantly changed - new sounds came and went - and my emotions were up and down more than a rollercoaster.

I can't really mask mine very well anyway, and I've never bothered. Masking never worked for me personally (I know it works brilliantly for others), it always just became more noise on top of noise for me. I very slowly just accepted that there were noises in my head and then I really started to improve. It's a really hard journey though. A few weeks would go by and I'd think I was doing better, and then the following week I'd be a wreck and back to square one again. This process repeated itself so many times that I lost count.

It takes time for the noises to settle down. In the mean time stay away from loud noise, eat well, exercise and look after yourself. It's stating the obvious but it's what we've got to do. You will improve with time, unless you put up a fight against it.

I'd like to thank you for the positive vibe you've added since joining. Your posts have always had a helpful slant to them. Now try not to work yourself up too much over the new sound and occupy your mind with something else, a film, game, instrument. Anything that's not centering your thoughts internally.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have multiple times. I've lost track of how many. I almost can't even separate them anymore. The low ones are the worst. It just keeps getting louder and louder too. I think there are at least a few of us here who have it pretty bad. You're not alone. Hang in there.

5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Sometimes I hear a symphony of sounds and wonder, what did I do to deserve this? Then I remember.

6. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      I've had a new tone separate from my regular tinnitus all the time for over a month. It blends with the regular tinnitus when my regular tinnitus is very loud. If I’m having a quieter time I now hear it.

Got my masking aids updated yesterday but they seem really loud and there’s a defect in one, where the plastic is rough and hasn’t been filed properly. Plus I can still hear my tinnitus.

What do I do? I’m off work as everything got out of control. I can’t bear to hear the new sound in the office. It feels like a beep or a tonal eeee next to my ringing.

It’s just unbelievable... FYI I am not functioning and on sickness leave but need and want to return to work.

Seen:
      GP
      ENT
      Audiologist

Can’t help...

Advice? Any good hearing aids to mask? I can’t abide the extra sound it’s cutting through everything.

• Hug Hug x 3
    7. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music practice - Attending loud concerts
      I have multiple tones too. Precisely, 5 different tones, 2 of them I got 2 months ago and are not maskable, cutting through everything (very high pitched and pretty damn loud). Basically, I can hear them all day, in every situation.

I also have hearing aids, but they're not helping those high frequencies. Masking is a bit risky. Any audiologist and ENT I have seen recommend keeping the masking level right below the tinnitus level, but then, you're not masking the sounds, you're just adding more noise to the ear.

I'm in the same boat as you Candy, my best bet would be to be patient, endure and be convinced this s*** will quiet down at some point.

Another less risky solution then masking via hearing aids is listening to white noise through your computer speakers. It can bring relief, but then again, I'm not convinced fighting sounds with sounds is the key to tinnitus spikes/increases.

I'm on Clonazepam, but my body is used to it now, so I need pretty high doses to notice a difference. But if you've never been on Rivotril/Clonazepam, you should definitely talk to a neurologist and try and get it prescribed. The first months, it works wonders with intrusive tinnitus.

I haven't noticed any side effect in more then 2 years of using, apart from the habituation thing.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      I can’t cope with it, it sends chills down my spine...

I wanted to mask this new tone so I can get back to work as I can’t stand it and can’t focus on anything else... but the maskers are rubbish and I couldn’t hear the second tone well in her office, so she could not set it properly.

Now at home it’s all I am focusing on.

Is it just the two of us? Why? What is going on and where will it end? I’ve got kids to look after.

I’m starting to think I have a different type of tinnitus now...

Are you trying Lenire @Elliott.S?

9. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have a daughter too.

I applied for Lenire day 1, but I recently got "el famoso" e-mail saying they would come back to me as soon as some spot would be free.

I believe there hasn't been any spot available so far. My expectations are not high on Lenire, but it would worth giving it a try.

You're trying it?

10. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Yup, will be picking up the device first week of August...

Do you have TMJ?

• Like Like x 2
    11. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, but I suffer from bruxism.

Lucky you to be able to try Lenire next month ! I'm following the Lenire thread on the forum, can't wait to read the first user feedback.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Me too. It's my middle tones that are hardest to mask or modulate. They have a different tone to the rest. Usually they make a major chord, sometimes they arpeggiate. This morning it was a jazz chord...?!?!

13. Blodorn
      Bored

Blodorn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It began with a pure tone in my right ear, then an electric noise in my brain, and then my left ear joined the crew with sometime a very low tone, sometime a very high. Yesterday It was a new reactive tinnitus, a ringing that comes when I make some noises.

It's a concert sometimes.

But hey, I don't care! Okay sometimes it makes me a bit sad. But I read some success stories and they help me a lot to keep going with positivity :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I also take Clonazepam, but a "very" small amount and though it does not quiet my tinnitus, it helps me deal with it much better.

@Candy Sorry you are struggling my friend. But you should ask your doctor about Clonazepam.

You have to make a great effort and try not to focus on it. FIND something to distract you that you enjoy a lot....
      I must say that I have found new hobbies to distract me that I don't think I would have tried, if I didn't had tinnitus. My newest distraction is Disc Golf (frisbee golf). Quiet game and the park is literally 5 minutes from my home. I have also indulged into writing.... kayaking, and sewing among others.

This is great! I wish you the best. :)

I read your PM Candy, I will answer you shortly.

• Like Like x 1
    15. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Paul, I also have a low drone and a high pitch going on at the same time....They take turns on who will annoy me the most each day...grrrrr.

Hope you are doing better...

Once

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      My hobby at the moment is sitting on the sofa not doing anything until I have to and feeling sorry for myself. I’ve realised that crying spikes my tinnitus. That’s one trigger, and lack of sleep.

I know I need to keep busy but I’d got to a point where I could somewhat relax even with the tinnitus.
      Of course on holiday when there were no cicadas I could hear it but I could still relax, my main problem was escaping loud noise.

I probably shouldn’t bother any more!

@OnceUponaTime my sister goes to the beach in NJ every weekend from NY, it looks idyllic.

17. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Minor 7 ?

Do you also have hearing loss ? I'm asking, because my medium/medium-high tones are the ones that can be a bit masked by using hearing aids that give me back the lost frequencies.

Hearing aids go up to 8khz, so basically, if you have hearing loss and tinnitus under this frequency, they will definitely help you :)

High frequencies are more problematic though :(

18. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      3 tones/sounds here, 2 of which I can only hear in very silent rooms

19. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      My new noise is a beep, I mostly notice it in the morning - like now. Please help. I never had tonal tinnitus. I’m losing the plot. Please what do I do?

New noise for 6 weeks in the shadows now morphing into this.

I am besides myself - please help. It doesn’t stop.

How do you deal with it? How?

It’s a constant beep or eeee. On top of my baseline atonal hiss/ring. And when my ringing is lower as the spike is now improving a bit, I hear this crappy new sound? I prefer my hissing. When the hiss gets high I can’t hear the bone so much but the two of them together will be emanating double the sound.

I thought it was temporary but it’s getting more established.

I’m telling you the last 6 weeks have been a joke. I need a healer or someone... should have worn my evil eye necklace more often.

I now am off work - there’s no way I’m hearing this tone in the office - I will have a meltdown.

20. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      No, a major 6th. I think a Minor 7 would be a sadder sound, so it can always be worse :whistle:

No hearing loss in the middle frequencies. Most of my mid-tones are around 2000-2500Hz and cannot be masked or quietened by anything, whereas my 9600Hz in the other ear does respond via residual inhibition to acoustic neuromodulation. I listen to wind chimes which distracts me from the middle frequencies, but their volume is constant and getting louder.

21. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Same here - it's a serious condition alright, but sometimes by making fun of my own tinnitus sounds, I feel I can reduce its power over me to bring me down.

• Winner Winner x 1
    22. Kratos
      Dreaming

Kratos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Stress
      I have a gigazillion. :ROFL:

23. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I have multiple tones but not the classic "eeeeeeee" or "iiiiiiii" tonal tinnitus. I don't know if it is good or bad.

I have high pitched and metallic head buzz which I can hear over everything... Something it's like a quiet hissing. But when it's loud, it's sound more like a pipe gas scape, or air coming out at "great speed" from a flat tire. It's difficult to explain.

On the other hand, I have an intermittent beep like morse code in the right ear. It's high pitched. Additionally in this ear, there is another sound like a low hum. Weird. I can only heard that low hum If I plug my ears.

And for last, I have a very strange sparkling/electric sound in my left ear. Many times it gets confused and merges with the headbuzz.

I'm also experience the same -in the quote- when I expose myself to moderate loud sounds for a "long" time.

Most of my tones are around 6k-8kHz I think, except for the low hum.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      This is what I have too :(

25. Capstan

Capstan Guest

I have this sparkling electrical sound too. Its my main sound. It is strange and a little scary. I really want to silence it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Most of my sounds have vanished now, but I used to have over 12 tones, hisses, crickets, hums and other stuff I can't really describe. Was quite the orchestra...

• Winner Winner x 3
    27. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      I have a lot of tones which change and some come and go. I'm beyond the point of trying to understand now, I'm just hoping they'll go down eventually...

• Hug Hug x 1