Whose Tinnitus Actually Went Away Though?

Discussion in 'Support' started by VickiD, Jun 23, 2016.

1. VickiD

VickiD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea :(
      great to read success stories but not many state it went away. Titles like "severe tinnitus but coping well".

To someone like myself who's terrified of it because it keeps changing etc and reading it can be severe and then coping doesn't help me personally. It's great people have found a way but who's actually went away? A success for me would be this nightmare sodding off. It's ruining my life :-(

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    2. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      Get a hearing aid they are driving awesome at masking all I hear is crickets at the beach! I wear them at night too, I have the hearing aid turned off so it's 100% a masker. Nobody's tinnitus ever decreased pitch or intensity, ever.

3. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In the future it's possible but stop letting this control you in any way, move on and live your life that way if there is a cure it will be a unexpected gift instead of your goal, either way you'll be a winner.

4. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Most tinnitus went away is mostly the noise induced ones.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hearing aids don't work for all of us. If your hearing loss is in the very high frequency range (like me) you're screwed.

And how can you say nobody's tinnitus decreased in intensity ever?

I disagree with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      You can disagree. I'm speaking with the Success Stories threads.

7. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      tons of people have tinnitus that goes away over weeks or months. they're not on this board.

since you are on this board - you're very anxious about it, or were for a period of time. if you fit that mold, its very unlikely to go away unless you calm down.

I have completely quiet days, mild days, and days that feel like a star wars light saber battle in my head. I don't know the severity of your symptoms, but focus on calming down in case it doesn't fade away - and hope that it does. Lessening my anxiety has greatly shifted the ratio of the days I described above in the direction all of us would hope for.

may the schwartz be with you

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      @VickiD,
      I know a few people who have had tinnitus but do not have it now. It does go away for some people.
      I guess it's possible that my own tinnitus will go away some day but I'm not banking on that. I accept that it might be with me forever and I make adjustments in my life to accommodate it but I never give up hope that it might go away some day or there might be a cure some day.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Andrew hilton

Andrew hilton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I had it pretty much go away, I had a day on the couch where I remember having to listen for it, took three years. After a period of extreme stress and probably some loud music it's back, but I have hope, it's done it once before..

• Like Like x 2
    10. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      I have 3 patients in my practice that give me hope !
      All of them had SSHL and they all recovered !
      They forgot about it!
      They never regained their hearing but tinnitus and vertigo gone
      Dominic

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have seen a lot of people come here with tinnitus caused by ETD / ear infection / stress, and many of them seem to be getting better then completely stop posting after a few months, no success story. Most of the success stories seem to be habituation not tinnitus going away completely.

If it's caused by acoustic trauma, is constant and lasts for several months, the damage is likely permanent. One thing that does seem true, is people who's tinnitus fluctuates a lot early on and disappears at time tend to improve.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      "Forever" is a concept that I think we should all take a closer look at. It's a frightening and could be an emotionally paralyzing CONCEPT and it does more harm than good.

We really ARE only here, now, in the moment of this day.

I understand the seriousness of a "chronic" condition, but how we talk to ourselves about experiences creates an emotional overlay that can be psychologically and physically harmful, too.

Just kinda throwing that in here, for consideration ...

• Like Like x 2
    13. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I say this because nobody has ever regrown their hair cells or auditory nerve. If you have pulsatile tinnitus or vascular compression well that's a different ballgame along with stapes myoclonus those three do go away because they are Somatic, somatic goes away with correct treatment. However noise induced hearing loss (which is soo much nicer than nerve damage, if you have a steady co start pitch in both ears be very happy! This is baby foo foo tinnitus no matter the volume, when you start hearing three birds fight over a morse cod machine with fluctuating hearing loss/high pitch tinnitus you have TINNITUS and this baby is your new baby you'll take her to your grave unless there is a cure, however a hearing aid can keep you from being suicidal and out of the mental hospitals which ive been to four had to sell my business luckily still married bless her heart I'm a 26 hearing music and birdsong fluctuating morse code.

• Genius Genius x 1
    14. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If your tinnitus "goes away" it means you got bored of playing the poor me soap opera, got some sleep, and said fuck it I'm better I don't hear no noise that's just the sound of my brain, my CHI raging through my veins ;) but it's still there, if it was not somatic to begin with.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      I personally know three people who's tinnitus got better. My hypnotherapist - T. was medicine / stress induced (allergic reaction to aspirin), took half a year but ended up with a faint buzz. My mother - T. from hearing loss and medicine induced (Lariam) she has a steady tone that has not changed but she completely habituated - was never stressed out about it. My husband has hearing loss from a large explosion, he was completely deaf for a couple of days, then lots of different noises from jet engines to what have you not, habituated and now only hears it when he thinks of it but can be loud at times but never for more than an hour or so - was never stressed out about it - was just happy he could hear again. God only knows how he did that. And let's not forget: Julian Cowan Hill. I have bought his book and watched his video's on you tube - very inspiring.

• Like Like x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VickiD

VickiD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea :(
      @Ian hair cells can be completely fine with tinnitus. Julian Cowan Hill has helped 100s of people with tinnitus who's either disappeared or diminished. My query was who's has actually gone on here.

there can be tinnitus with no hearing loss too. And let's be logical - if t is caused by stress and anxiety in some cases then with management of that it can get better.

As for nerve damage - how exactly does that happen Dr Ian as you seem to know an awful lot but it isn't accurate.

17. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have constant ultra high pitched tinnitus that never goes away and cannot be masked. I wouldn't call it 'baby foo foo'. And like I said before, when the hearing loss causing your tinnitus is above 12kHz not even hearing aids are of any help, the ultra high pitched tone just cuts through everything and cannot be masked.

I have had lower tone tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus that came and went, neither bothered me as much as this 24/7 dog whistle in my head.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      @Alue Thanks so much for your comment. My T fluctuates a lot and disappears at times. Unfortunately I have the very very high whistle tone too. Before Xanax it would make the hairs on my arms stand on end.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes you have a constant high pitched ringing in your ears that doesn't make you suicidal and doesn't require a hearing aid.

However, if you put your pride aside you could learn to love a hearing aid/masker even though you don't need it, pray you never do. I know it sounds silly but if I could back in time to when I just had noise induced T - constant high pitched whining - I would still get the masker, but I never would have contemplated this because I had pride and it wasn't fluctuating like I'm listining to skrillex all day and night. You can put the masker to sound like crickets or a river, or crickets by the river with a light melody. It's like s fancy iPod but you can hear perfect while your wearing it, it's a awesome device, although it's not a cure, it literally saved my life (unfortunately my crickets have some high pitch whining we had to mix in to try to mask the T fluctuations. That describes it right there, I'm using noises which are likely more disturbing than your Tinnitus in order to mask my nerve damage Tinnitus from labrythitis. I've got some really F****** loud constant ringing which your right you can't mask but that's because it's not a big deal it's baby foo foo boo hoo. A masker still can help because it's like a fan you can bring with you on vacations and always know you'll have crickets and the ocean. However if you don't need this advice than kindly accept that your T could be worse - like bending your brain ripping through dimensions of sound your soul never wanted to experience.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Birds fighting snakes on a plane!.. With a morse code machine beep meep twerp chirp meek merp bee beeeee bee pee peeeee tee teeee only in my right ear, it's just fantastic!

• Creative Creative x 1
    21. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      how long did it go for?

22. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dubstep got me too man. I hate dubstep also. Went to the party b/c free tickets and friends were there.

Ironically your description above sounds like music you once enjoyed listening to.

23. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Except mine is actually from 2 months of labrythitis, worst I've ever been sick. This is on top of the noise induced T skrillex gave me.

24. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Masking doesn't help me, the pitch is too high even for crickets, it is reactive and I have H too.
      It wasn't my intention to turn this into a pissing contest of who's tinnitus is worse. Yours probably is worse than mine. But it's a subjective experience, I have nerve damage too from an acoustic trauma, and it has turned my life into a nightmare for the past 6 months.
      I absolutely know mine can get worse, but you are making the same kind of assumptions that people with "mild tinnitus" they can only hear in silence and get over in a months make about others. You say you don't have the type of T that makes you suicidal. How can you know that?

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Anna051

Anna051 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Dominic1955 Gives me hope too. How long did it take till their tinnitus went away?

26. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Depends how long it's been. It's better to accept it. And if it goes. It goes. If not, you haven't wasted time on the way to your hibituation

• Like Like x 2
    27. MountainCreek

MountainCreek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Radio
      Regardless its form, my viewpoint is that sound induced tinnitus is nothing but pain. That pain is heard instead of felt, but I think other than that, there is no difference. I assume for now that the pain or tinnitus was caused by sound waves hitting the brain (through the hearing mechanism). Realizing this, I have completely cured tinnitus three times in my life by isolation in an environment with less sound than the tinnitus sound I wanted to kill. That amounts to less that 10 dB for 24 hours 7 days a week for as long as it takes. The killing process then proceeds in steps. First two weeks no improvement. Then I noticed a slight gap in the strongest signal. The next day that signal is dead. In cases when I have had more than one signal, then the next signal has got amplified once the first strongest was killed, and for the next signal another two weeks or so did the same job. The first signal in my case was an old fishing boat engine. The second signal was a high pitched constant sound. I just managed to kill the second high pitched signal some days ago.

If the tinnitus is NOT sound induced, then there has to be some other origin. But in our society today with artifical sounds everywhere, most tinnitus I believe is sound induced. Human hearing was constructed by Darwin evolution to stand against sounds in the nature, not sounds from cars and CD players.

• Agree Agree x 3
    28. MountainCreek

MountainCreek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Radio
      It seems to me that sound induced tinnitus does not bother whether it originated from high frequency hair cell death or low frequency induced by muscle contraction. Tinnitus appears to me to be something else, not directly related to those details in the ear. My guess is that tinnitus is something very much like pain. To cure the pain one first of all removes the source that caused the pain. If someone hit your leg and you got pain in your leg, the first thing to do is to stop that person continuing hitting the leg. That would be the first and obvious thing to do before going on to study the microscopic cell structure of the bone and try to understand what is going on there. For sound induced tinnitus, this logic would amount to prevent further sound waves from hitting you. But again, I might be wrong. Anyway that is my logic, and it the method has worked for me. I am still staying on this forum a few more weeks since I am not returning to normal life once tinnitus is gone. I am quite scared of getting it back if I would take a step out through the door now. I take it gradually to see how it goes.

29. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      One 55 year old woman took 3 months
      42 year old male 6 to 12 months
      47 year old female 12 months

None of them regained hearing but don't complain of tinnitus or vertigo

30. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      I dont understand the julian cowan hype. he promotes cranio sacral therapy. I did that many times, no change in my T.
      Its not like hes the "curer" he just knows how to sell himself.
      yes he might have had sucxess with some patients, but that can have tons of reasons.

Well, to come back to your question there are several success stories. for example "living a happy life with severe Tinnitus" thats my dads success story. Its hard to belive that it gets better, but apparently it does if you want it to.

• Like Like x 1