Why Does It Take So Long to Find a Cure :)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RaZaH, Mar 5, 2015.

1. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      • Funny Funny x 2
    2. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Blake

Blake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Well since there is so little awareness in society in regards to hearing damage/tinnitus, as compared to teaching kids about drugs, sex, etc; there's probably just as much little research done to cure it.

So many people I have talked to have no idea what tinnitus is and have never experienced it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. John G

John G Member

That's so true. I have two brothers that I mentioned to them I have tinnitus and they said they have never heard of it. Also, they have no remorse for me having this condition.Having support from others (loved ones,friends etc) really helps I think. Having no support does not help. Sorry for babbling

• Like Like x 2
    5. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      Avoid things like these...... They damage the sensitive ear nerve

00r0r_byJOCRLfabk_600x450_zps0psgzhy3.jpg

Pro Audio is the worst.....

6. John G

John G Member

Anybody notice when looking at certain illness/disease etc that is listed on the internet, has tinnitus that is listed as a symptom of that injury,illness etc. Such as head/neck injury,atlas bone problems,b12 deficiency,magnesium defeciency and the list goes on and on.

Makes me go crazy trying to figure out what the cause is. Of course trying to get a certain test done by the doctor is difficult enough. My doc says , no you dont need that test done and so on.But the doc will have no dam problem writing a prescription for any drug .....$$$$$

• Like Like x 1
    7. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      The thing is tinnitus is directly linked to the brain, and the brain is so so complex. That's why we can today to a higher dregree cure most cancers (to a certain degree) but cant cure a "simple" thing as tinnitus.

8. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      @RaZaH, I hope you've found some kind of peace or happiness. I now know what it's like to wake up the way you do. (Car crash).

9. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      It is not a symptom when docs wake up its a cause and effect the cause is you get it effect is what it does to your total body mental and physical then maybe we'll get something done for T. Mine came out of the blue I was healthy before and all test after as well not a symptom in my book docs make it worse by making you keeping looking for a symptom as if I can find the answer, I relate mine to dental but docs all said no.

10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
    11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    12. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      I love a conspiracy theory! Who do you think these companies are?

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      TRT companies. It's not some sort of conspiracy theory it's just common sense. Do insulin producing companies want a cure to diabetes? When you add 2 and 2 you have a remarkable tendency to get 4.

• Genius Genius x 1
    14. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Can you name a single "TRT Company" powerful enough to sabotage medical research?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      No because it's The whole industry, and I didn't say they were sabotaging research. They're competing with research.

• Genius Genius x 1
    16. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They are, in a way. But how is that slowing down (or stopping) research and finding a cure?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Sorry, I didn't get your notification for some reason. Anyways for two main reasons:

1) people who pay for TRT would rather not spend much more money on tinnitus. This is speculation but considering part of "habituation" that they sell is to try to get over it, and people after that would prefer not to get involved and wait for a cure when the time comes.

2) the main one, tinnitus is the biggest complaint vets have medically. The US military mostly pay for TRT for them instead of giving that money to research. Good for the short run but in the long run it's putting a bandage on the bigger problem.

• Genius Genius x 1
    18. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No problem.

1. This may be an unintended side-effect, but I don't think it would slow down research in any significant way. First off, if those who have habituated are no longer interested in a cure, then that's a good thing! It means they can continue their lives like normal. And I would speculate that they would still be interested in a cure, when one arrives. It's still better to have two legs instead of getting by with a prosthetic leg.
      Furthermore, the group of those who have habituated using TRT is small in compared to all tinnitus sufferers and hearing loss sufferers. The latter is important because hearing loss research and tinnitus research often go hand-in-hand.

2. I'm not so sure if the US is spending "mostly for TRT instead of research". Could you provide a reference?
      I'm sure we'll agree that the US military has to strike a balance somewhere between the short term and long term. We'll probably also agree that the US definitely has an interest in developing a cure.
      While being big contributor, the US is by far not the only player in medical research. There are governments, companies and (private) research labs all over the world who will push for a cure regardless of what the US government does.

19. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Only if we could regenerate our hearing cells then can we truly appreciate music and play them heartily. I wonder what it feels like to hear music with your younger, more strong and healthier ears.

• Like Like x 2