Why Does My Tinnitus Calm Down in Silence?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SoulStation, May 14, 2015.

1. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Just wondering does anybody else here (especially those with 'reactive t') seek the refuge of a silent room to help there T calm down?

I have a walk in closet that I go in to sit and get away from sound when my T is getting noisy just from watching TV - I just don't get it - when I came in here my T was about an 7 or 8/10 whistling away at 3.9 kHz and now after 15 mins in silence it is down to about a 3 or 4/10.
      Fwi
      I am rating on a scale of annoyance-
      Going through a rough time. My thoughts go out to all ...
      SS

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      I totally get how you are feeling as my tinnitus does exactly the same thing. Thankfully today is a low tinnitus day, but on the days that it is louder I find peace in a quiet room also. I wonder what this is all about? Does anybody have any answers?

Miss Lavender.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      From what I can remember from reactive tinnitus not being near sounds which can make it react means it would be better in silence, as it won't react to those sounds thus not making it louder.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      Would love to know myself!!!

5. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Exactly, the same here!

I wrote about this already in another thread, it's the lost frequencies (not working hair cells). So whatever frequencies are offline in one ear but online in the other can increase the T-noise when we hear sound(s) in that frequencies 'cause T dwells in those offline frequencies. Therefore if we have silence for a certain period of time T slowly settles down.

And that is why I can't do shit anymore! T interferes with everything I do. Everything involves some sound(s). It's hell.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      tinnitus is some crazy stuff. when I lay down sometimes and get relaxed or falling asleep, mine get quiet down to a zero, then if I move it will start coming back, then at times when its gone or a 1-2 and I take a nap and wake up it will be blasting..??????!!!:wacky:

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      That's because it's supposed to.

Your reticular formation is a primitive structure in your brain stem. It's a "vital sign monitor." When you wake up, your RF checks to see whether or not you are alive. It looks for heartbeat, respiration, blood pressure, temperature - basic bodily signs. It does not care whether or not these signs are good or bad - just that they are present. And since you are an individual suffering from severe intrusive tinnitus - as far as your RF is concerned, your tinnitus is part of your "expected" body function. So when you wake, your RF checks to see whether or not your tinnitus is present. And if it doesn't immediately find your tinnitus, your RF seeks it with a vengeance - - especially in the post-nap state, when you have already had inadequate REM sleep and when, therefore, your RF is on already "high alert" that something might not be quite right. So, your RF hyperactivity in seeking your tinnitus, which it equates with life, results in your temporarily markedly augmented tinnitus perception.

I hate to break it to you, jeannie, but your brain is doing exactly what it is supposed to do!

:)

• Like Like x 2
    8. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      I can easily refute this theory of yours. The brain doesn't need to check upon whether or not you are alive. It simply always knows that you *are* alive. As soon as something is wrong with your health (body) your brain is going to tell you in no time.

So why is T louder upon waking up?

It has to due with survival. When you are asleep your auditory cortex amplifies your hearing sensitivity in order to detect any kind of threat in nature. Unfortunately, T dwells in the auditory cortex so it boosts up as well. Worse, it can get so loud that it actually wakes you up.

Well, that's biology.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, that explains that.

10. cogen1965

cogen1965 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have tinnitus. I think what you are speaking of is the kinda like the earplug effect ,maybe. Let's say you put earplugs in for about an hour and then take them out,there's a sensation the T is lower. I have done it and it works but this usually last for a short time. I understand you're talking about silence but earplugs cause a silencing. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?

Your brain doesn't always know you're alive (where are you BTW?)sometimes the brain interprets sleeping while you're awake and sends signals to your limbs that you'd " normally " see while sleeping.Your heart can still function even when your brain is not,so saying it knows you're dead is not entirely accurate

Edit: I was kind of close lol,i read it afterwards and the first thought didn't make sense.

The brain is far from perfect in that regard

12. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Not true. When in a coma the brain is not completely dead, just the conscious part of it. Had it been completely dead, you would be dead, it's the brain that regulates the heartbeat. Everything that happens in you body happens because your brain commands to happen.
      Dr Nugler's theory is BS.
      Such BS! If that was the case all the T cases would have remained permanent, which they didn'T.

13. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      Some days I wake up and my tinnitus is completely absent. It can last for 15-20 minutes sometimes and it just isn't there and all seems and feels quite peaceful.

Also, whether or not I have had a really poor nights sleep makes no difference to the intrusiveness, or perceived amplitude of my tinnitus.

14. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't understand how people's T can go completely absent. I wish I could experience that!

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?

I'm not saying it's dead.clinically.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      It's a double edged sword. On the one hand, it is really pleasant when it goes and gives me hope that it will go completely one day - after all, my brain still knows what silence is supposed to sound like.

On the other hand though, habituation has proved to be a nightmare as it comes and goes, changes in amplitude, frequency, sometimes Morse code like etc...

• Creative Creative x 1
    17. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      You aren't. I didn't read the whole phrase carefully enough. You meant by "not functioning" not being awake.
      My apologies.

• Friendly Friendly x 1