Why Must Restaurants & Bars Raise the Music Volume?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bobbie7, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      There is something which I fail to understand. When we go to bars and restaurants, in particular, we usually go with someone and generally want to converse. How is that ever possible when the background music doesn't seem in the "background" at all but rather... blaring extremely loudly negating the possibility for peaceful conversation.

Recently we went to a popular bar which offers brunch on the weekend and although the food was terrific, the music was horrendously loud and even though I quickly placed my musician's ear plugs in, it still was an unpleasant experience and for a long while afterward I experienced discomfort.

What prevents these owners from realizing that uncomfortable noise levels is more a disturbance and distraction for enjoyment than an enhancement?

When, on a number of occasions, I have requested that the volume be lowered.. they say they will attend to it but usually do not. I just don't get the rationalization for having music blasting at extreme decibel levels rather than having music which can be listened to at a comfortable level enabling conversation to be exchanged. It seems one by one I have to cross off those establishments which feature extremely loud noise and I find these days.. most do, unfortunately.

I trust there will be many others here who are in agreement with me and I wish the owners/managers of these bars and restaurants would understand what a powerful weapon very loud noise can actually be.

Wishing all a pleasant and peaceful day.

• Agree Agree x 9
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree with you that music in such an environment should be in the background and not make conversation difficult. People with tinnitus or hyperacusis or both will find this particularly troublesome and cause discomfort. However, since you are wearing noise reducing earplugs and still experiencing discomfort, your auditory system could be hypersensitive to sound. Try using sound enrichment particularly at night using a sound machine, to help desensitize your auditory system. Please click on the link below and read my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      These places, raise their music to enhance the mood of those, that are at that place. Music can change a mood and bring joy. Now LOUD and uncomfortable music is not all that great. It can hurt and damage people's hearing and possibly give them tinnitus. I avoid loud places, but also tolerate loud sounds compared to many that suffer from tinnitus.

I have said it before, i care more for my hearing loss than my tinnitus. My tinnitus is already ver y loud in both ears. One of the elements that makes tinnitus super uncomfortable is hypaucusis (however you spell it). I went through an extensive therapy for this , in my early years, when I first got tinnitus.

Protect your ears and avoid loud places....

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh.... Thank you for your excellent suggestion and I will be reading your post. Have a good day!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hope you have a good day also.
      Michael

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @fishbone..... what type of extensive therapy did you undergo if you don't mind my asking?

7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      a professional audiologist should be able to help with hypacusis...possibly inquire about it...

8. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      They do it because the louder the music, the more emotion people feel and enjoy the environment. You can especially "feel" low frequency sound when loud and combined with alcohol people enjoy themselves and get caught up in the glamor and sexiness of bar or club.

9. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I wonder if it is just because when people are drunk they often dont hear as well. A lot of places lacking in ambiance (dive bars) are loud too.

10. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I often dislike going to restaurants, even quieter ones. All the conversations and clinking of plates and dishes is often too much for me. I had a bad episode one time when I added being extremely hungry to the mix - like a panic attack but of a sensory nature. So mostlyif I go it is because of another person or special occasion. It seems everything is getting loud though from stores to churches. Peace!

11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Society in general is much louder now, compared to even the 70s/80s. I hope someone wakes these people up and teaches them about tinnitus.... When I was younger there were tons of public service ads about many things. They need to educate the public...especially the young kids that loud noises are bad and can really bother their ears...

Restaurants/Bars are all about creating an image/appeal...Music adds to that appeal and some places are very loud. Some places, are very mellow and romantic... If i go to a loud place, for damn sure i'll be wearing my ear plugs and protecting my ears....

My ears are like an old car that is missing 3 tires...cannot lose the 4th one..lol

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh.... I read your post and found it very interesting and informative. Thanks for sending the link.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @ fishbone.... My ears are like an old car that is missing 3 tires...cannot lose the 4th one..lol[/QUOTE]

At least you have a good sense of humor, which is valuable. I like that.

14. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Its highly possible. I've often found the entire concept pretty ridiculous, as a lot of people go out to have fun with their friends, and often can't even converse because of the volume in some bars and clubs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    15. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      What kind of speakers did the bar use? Were they big PA speakers or smaller speakers? The bars that use the smaller speakers spread out the room are more enjoyable you can hear them clearly without being over bearing.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They must have had a loud speaker somewhere as I didn't know where it was coming from. I have been in restaurants where they had many speakers above spread across the room and it was also very loud to the point where you couldn't hear what those seated across from you were saying. It is obvious that most just don't understand the danger... that is.. until they are damaged, have hearing loss and suffer tinnitus. Public service announcements would serve to enlighten people.

17. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Guess one only knows what tinnitus is once you've got it.

18. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They raise volume in bars because otherwise everyone hear each other talking too much which people find annoying and they'd rather hear music instead.

19. MountainCreek

MountainCreek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Radio
      that's pretty hard for me to understand. I find it almost always VERY interesting to listen to conversations of other people, but it is almost never possible to hear what other people says. However, once I could hear two people talking over a beer as they were sitting outdoors on a quiet street outside a pub in the middle of the day. Their conversation was super-interesting to me. Much more enjoyable to listen to than any music in the world could be.

20. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      It's bad that musicians with zero talent think that turning it up will make them sound better.

21. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I don't go to loud restaurants, clubs, movies, concerts, they are waiting rooms for future tinnitus members. The more the merrier?