Will This Go Away?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ShellyBreiden, Feb 19, 2017.

1. ShellyBreiden
      Cold turkey

ShellyBreiden Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started on Wellbutrin xr 150 mg on 1/26/2017
      Hello! I started Wellbutrin xl 150 mg 3 weeks ago and last week developed a high pitched whining in both ears that is very annoying. I called my doctor, who said that it wasn't the medicine, but the package insert clearly states that this can develop in 6% of patients. I weaned myself of this week and have been wellbutrin free for two days.

Has anybody had the tinnitus go away? Or is this going to be permanent? I'll find a way to cope, but my anxiety is through the roof.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your suffering with new T. Members here understand the struggle with T as we have been where you are. When T is new and the sensation is so alien to the brain, we tend to go through some tough time initially. While no one can tell with a certainty if T will go away or fade, generally most members will find improvement. Some luck souls will see T vanish after some time, others may habituate to the sound so that it can't trigger more anxiety and stress after some time when the brain is hardened to the T sound. So either way, you probably can go back to living your life normally. Try stay positive and be calm as anxiety and stress is bad for T. You can try to mask your T and/or to learn some strategies to help yourself. The best place to learn is the success stories section where recovered members share their insights and strategies. I wrote my success story too and share some helpful strategies. You may want to check that out. Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

3. Kmander

Kmander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion
      Hi Shelly!

Sorry about your tinnitus! I was on bupropion XL 150mg for about 3 months when I developed tinnitus. I had been off and on bupropion for mild depression for 2-3 years at 100mg SR. After the birth of my first child I decided to go on 150mg XL to combat PPD, but feel that the extra 50mg was just too much for me since I developed tinnitus after. The weekend I developed tinnitus, I was sleep deprived and under a lot of stress, so I think that this combined with the bupropion created the perfect condition for tinnitus to develop. For me it was a high pitched buzz similar to the one you notice from electronics. I spent an hour or so with my ear to outlets around my house trying to identify the source, but realized it was in my head after noticing its presence in every room. The buzzing was manageable, but it made me more sensitive to certain fabrics (bizarre I know) which I hated. I stopped taking the bupropion and saw an ENT doc who confirmed that my hearing was fine and that the tinnitus was most likely an inflammatory reaction to the medication. I stopped taking bupropion for about a month before going on 50mg of Zoloft (love Zoloft by the way if you’re looking for alternatives and haven’t tried). After 2 months since the tinnitus first appeared, it is almost gone. I notice it ever so slightly maybe once a week and am hopeful it will be gone completely in another few weeks. I hope that this gives you hope! I too thought I was stuck with tinnitus for life, but it is nearly gone. Good luck and hang in there!

4. HeatherC

HeatherC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / maybe stress / maybe head cold
      Hey, I think T goes away in most cases, but it just doesn't always seem that way when you read these forums, where you get a skewed sample. H