Would You Feel Less Upset About Tinnitus As Long As You Knew You Could Take Something to Lower It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 8, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Let's say your tinnitus is loud but you had something you could take to lower it some for a certain amount of time and then it would go up again. Would you get less upset when it was loud or about having it?

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know of at least three things I can take that will lower it for some period of time; that makes it tempting to say "no"; on the other hand, perhaps it would be even more upsetting if I didn't know about those things?

If any of those three things were something I was comfortable consuming on a regular basis, I probably wouldn't lurk here at all anymore...

3. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      vague post about things that help you is vague.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      What are those three things?

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "What are three things you should not consume more than once in a blue moon for $500, Alex?"

Klonopin, Alcohol, Opium.

6. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      If there are no side effects, yes, it would help me to know I can take something when it's too much.

Having no break at all with T is the difficult thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I've been off and on ...Klonopin and gabapentin and if it weren't for that not sure where I'd be. The combination of both lowers my T at least 25%.......We all have to pick our own paths.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I understand that..I used to use klonopin to lower my T. Can I ask how you combine the two? Like what mg of each and if you take them at the same time or you take one before the other at certain times? Also, do you take neurontin every day or just when you want to lower T? I really can calm down by just knowing there is some way to lower my T.

9. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Hi Jason I take Gabapentin 300x3 and K .5mg at night thats what I'm currently on and it seems to help.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Thanks for letting me know! That is very helpful information.

11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Trobalt too, right? Although from my recollection of that thread it gave you some weird side effects.

12. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No, wouldn't help. I could take a Valium and knock this sound down, but it's not worth what I will feel like later.

13. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      If there was something proven to help (even if temporary) it would remove the psychological burden of knowing there's absolutely nothing that helps us.
      That would in general benefit coping with something as bad as tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      come on guys ! This is not a solution - More pills .

Use the power of your own mind .. You know you can switch off t if your very busy doing something .. It's possible

No pills or drugs will help us long term

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Phenergan can reduce my loud T by over 50%. Lasts about 12 hours. Temazepam can work too but effect is a bit less. I take phenergan once a week and temazepam a little more occasionally. I never took any pills, not even painkillers before this crap happened. Now they are essential if I want a night of rest once or twice a week.

16. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Clozapram and Benzodiazepines can reduce the intensity for many people.

17. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Being very busy when what you need is just rest is kind of illogical. Pills are not evil, they save people every day. The power of my mind would be so much more useful for other things if we had a cure.

• Agree Agree x 4
    18. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Being busy never switched off my T...

Sometimes I wonder if we're talking about apples and oranges with regards to T.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Yes 30 minutes a day, would plan my day around it...cherish every second. As Valeri says the psychological burden of knowing you can't help the condition massively affects your state of mind - if I knew it would last a year I would probably be ok with the symptoms...

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would be happy if they came out with a more selective potassium channel opener with few side effects that worked for T.

I'm someone that does not like to take medications. I don't even take pain relievers unless I'm in severe pain like when I had kidney stones. That being said, medications have their uses. I always laugh when people take copious amounts of supplements that may be no better than a sugar pill but are also not regulated while at the same time avoiding all pharmaceuticals that have been through rigorous clinical trials.

21. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I hate pills too. But we can't hate modern medicine all the time. Sometimes we just need it.

Anyway, Bobby B, you saying that is kind of funny, after you spent months and thousands of dollars for LLLT, which has never been scientifically proven to work for hyperacusis or hearing loss. You know some doctors say to H sufferers that they should use the power of their mind to overcome it, right ?

22. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I feel like we're devolving into making fun of other people's coping mechanisms. If you don't want to ever take a drug, fine, but that wasn't what @JasonP was asking here...

23. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Wonder if they had Tinnitus as much in the late 1800's- early 1900's? MAYBE that Snake oil those guys were peddling off the back of their wagons really prevented Tinnitus?? heheheheheheheh.

Look everyone, we can look for answers, try various drugs to cope, relax, even try to cure with vast amounts of supplements, mask, meditate, drink til your drunk, sleeping pills to help fall asleep, avoid caffeine, avoid your aunt with the loud screeching voice, I have seen so many methods used by the people here.

We can wonder what started ours for sure, and wonder why it never started the other guy's. We can argue that "X" product never effected me, therefore it should have not increased your T or spiked it even.

Understanding Tinnitus properly is in its infancy. We got a ways to go yet so hang in there everyone and do what you feel helps you, and worry less on why things that helped Joe didn't work for me. Be practical, be informed, and be smart about your actions.

24. HiThere

HiThere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1975
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Delivery by forceps? Childhood ear infections?
      To answer the original poster's question: If there was a medication, substance that temporarily lowered the sound of my T, I would NOT feel better about my T once the suppression effects wore off. Three things would happen for me:

1) I would be overly conscious and overly sensitive to my T when not medicated, exacerbating a problem that I have more or less learned to live with (no other viable option for me).

2) I would become hopelessly dependent on said medication/substance.

3) If I were unable to obtain or maintain said medication/substance, I would become extremely irritable and caustic to those around me (even more so than I already am, sorry to say).

Since I have more or less learned to live with my T, I would also NOT opt for any type of curative medical procedure that may be available in the future if the procedure had ANY risk of hearing loss. If I were rendered deaf and therefore subjected solely to the ringing in my ears for the remainder of my life, that would be hell on earth. I would never run that risk and I certainly hope I have some level of hearing ability throughout my lifetime.

Chris

25. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I am not going to suffer any more than I have too and take 25 mil notytripline at night and take ,05 xanax twice a day. Seems to lower my T some and dont really annoy for the most part. I have tried 100s of natural vitamins and herbs, neuromonics, accupuncture and chiropratic minipulation you name it with little success. Meds work for me but keep it to the minimum dosage...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Vallium (diazepam) is taken by quiet a few people to lower their T (or just their perception of it, thus seeming lower?) but they shouldn't be taken long term or regularly.

27. Morg

Morg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Previous exposure to loud music, then caught a cold.
      Yes, that is called Valium, LOL. No, but seriously, I know *it's there for me* if my T becomes unbearable and I start losing it. It doesn't make it lower, but it makes me simply not care about it.