Any Problems With MRIs? I'm Terrified Noise Will Make Tinnitus Worse...

Discussion in 'Support' started by shoolaroon, Dec 19, 2014.

1. shoolaroon

shoolaroon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lifetime of infections left ear, developed virus, got T.
      I've had problems with my left ear since baby hood - chronic ear infections. About 3.5 years ago I moved from a lifetime in the city (Boston) to deep suburbia - with trees and graveyards, etc. After a few months here I got something one night in the spring (March 2011, think it was a Tuesday night), might have been a virus, might have been allergies, anyway....next day I started having myoclonus (sp?) in that ear, constant thumping repeatedly. This spasm lasted for MONTHS, every day, all day. And then T started. I went to ear doctor after doctor (this must sound familiar to you all) and they couldn't figure it out. I think they thought I was insane. One guy just said I have Meniere's but no dizziness or falling spells, vertigo, etc. Others didn't know, thought it might be allergies. I think it might be a combination of things but considering that I've also developed terrible eczema and gall bladder problems since I've moved out here, I also suspect allergies, particularly food allergies.

Anyway, I've been living with this (did I mention I have chronic anxiety and panic problems....) for 3 years when I got sick again and the ear took off like a jet plane, with a lot of pressure and some pain. I started going on the round of ear doctors again. Still don't know what it is, but the main doc, who has T himself, and is a good egg, wants me to have an MRI.

I am extremely claustrophobic and terrified that the noise of an MRI will make the T worse. It's all I can live with now and I just try to ignore or mask it. He wants to make sure there's no tumor as it is on one side basically. Loud noises really aggravate the T (and like everyone else showers help) and I'm just afraid the MRI will make it worse and unliveable. I'd rather face a burglar with a machete frankly.

Last night though is making me think about the MRI again though as the T took off like a gong in my ear, the ringing was that loud! After dinner when I had eaten pasta, which I haven't had in ages (as I suspect I have some kind of wheat allergy....). I had felt pretty good yesterday up to that point, and afterwards I have fullness, increased ringing, all those joyful things and it scared the crap out of me.

So I'm wondering: What have your MRI experiences been? Is it really that bad? Did you find it harmful? Did you find it useful (as I'm not sure about that). Is there a real alternative like cat scans?

I am so glad to have found this site, you are all my brothers and sisters and thank you for any info you would care to pass on. :)

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shoolaroon

shoolaroon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lifetime of infections left ear, developed virus, got T.
      I forgot to mention that I do have some hearing loss in the affected ear. Losing those top notes.

3. downtongirl

downtongirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      I have only had one mri and I did not find it painful...they offered earplugs and I used them...best of luck