Auditory Hallucinations When Tinnitus Gets Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by QQuentin, Sep 26, 2019.

1. QQuentin
      Relaxed

QQuentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infections
      I've had tinnitus all of my life, but recently (around 2016), when my tinnitus "acts up" (don't know the terminology) I sometimes will hear things like music, repetitive noises (beeps, phone notifications, knocks, etc), and especially while I'm trying to sleep, voices. It's gotten worse the past couple years since. I don't have any history of mental illness besides general anxiety disorder. I never brought it up because I always thought people might call me crazy, but after telling a friend recently, I now think I should look more into it.

Because it usually happens when my tinnitus "acts up", I feel it is connected in some way. Does anyone else experience this? Thanks for reading!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Maybe it’s some type of musical ear syndrome. Even though you don’t hear music.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Scooter540

Scooter540 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Hug Hug x 3
    4. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I also have this - most recently I will hear bird calls or other strange dynamic noises which are not a tone. How are you holding up?

5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I think it's hyperactivity spilling over into other areas of the brain that causes this... my theory.

• Like Like x 1
    6. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Yes between awake and asleep I hear beeps, voices, and other strange things.

7. tomahawkzz

tomahawkzz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Clubbing
      I usually hear police sirens, since I play a lot of GTA Online, but yesterday and today it was okay, I didn't hear that much. The white noise is still with me tho.

• Like Like x 1
    8. RocketJSquirrel

RocketJSquirrel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      I was just about to ask about auditory hallucinations and found this old thread.

I have had them occasionally for a year or so. They always sound like real sounds, e.g., a dog barking, my wife calling my name, an electronic device beeping while on mute. The disturbing ones are like someone rattling a doorknob which makes me get out of bed to look.

I don't see any correlation with my chronic tinnitus, which remains unchanged. It's certainly strange.

• Informative Informative x 1