BTA Project - Top 10 Tinnitus Questions

Discussion in 'Research News' started by calin, Jun 18, 2012.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      None of the treatments I am taking is on this list except a couple of herbs and suplements.

This one is sorta what I am doing - enzymes..... Wobenzym Treatment

3. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Calin, yes I have seen that list before on yuku but I think it's very misleading as some have reported being cured by some of the things on that list but on others it has had no effect.

As I was saying on your Rosemarinus thread In the future I will try to come up with a more informative list that is much more explanitory about it's effects and chances of success.

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I edited the first post to make more clear what the project is about and that the deadline has already passed, and also deleted the list of treatments to choose from because it was misleading, not pertaining to the BTA's project.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I just copied from the forum. I read through the site, but found it to be rather worthless. I allow others to take whatever impression they had of it for themselves. some people may look at the list and recognize something they tried or hadn't thought about.

Fine by me Markku to change it. At least I see that you are reading my stuff! hahaha

6. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I have read so many articles on research for T from the US and UK. Most of this is for T with hearing loss. What about those who have no hearing loss or if the T is unilateral. I have had T for 8 months wearing a stabilizing splint for TMJ, which by the way, the T is on that side. That's my question is the research being done on all T or just those with hearing loss.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Let me be the first to welcome you! First post I see.

Erik just posted research from SIU and I don't think it singles out hearing loss associated tinnitus.

I am finding several people here that have had tinnitus for about as long as you have (me too). I find that interesting.

8. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Can someone direct me to the SIU research post. And, any ideas when someone will actually make it know that T is not a symptom but a medical condition which should be treated like any other medical condition or disease.

9. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Do you have facts that support your claim? I am all for it if so.

11. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      this is just my opinion. there is a reason one gets tinnitus it just doesn't happen and to me that should fall under medical category. for me, i believe it's a tmj situation that went really bad on my right side. i'm hoping that it is neuromuscular and that someday it will be gone. but, i'm hoping that research and development from around the world finds remedies, not just sound therapies, that would alleviate this very bothersome condition.

12. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      What kind of tinnitus do you have?

13. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      i had severe cracking in my right jaw for about 6 months, no pain, but my jaw deviated to the right when opening. had two root canals on the left side with my right jaw opened for quite a while. a week later i was bending over doing some work in my driveway straining my right side and that night i woke up with tinnitus in my right ear. a neuromuscular dentist believes that it was caused by the tmj and it was clenching and muscle spasms. i have been wearing a stablizing/repositioning orthotic since 11/2011 and will be for year from then. a tmj mri showed severe jaw opening limitation on the right side and moderate on the left. i also have a chiropractor/accupuncturist that works on trigger points in my jaw and neck and shoulder. sometimes the sound is less sometimes it isn't. that's my story. the tmj is better i can open my mouth without cracking. the tinnitus is still there though.

14. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      hmm, I also have tinnitus in my right ear. I was told I have no TMJ a few times but my jaw, neck movements even shoulder movements increase my tinnitus. Just turning my neck and looking right stirs up my tinnitus. Even when I eat, just chewing makes my tinnitus louder for a hour or 2 after I eat. I haven't seen a dentist yet but seeing chiropractor now. Its like I have a bee hive in my head and every movement of my head, neck and shoulders stirs it up....

15. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      If you had jaw popping/cracking when opening or pain in your jaw or shoulders then you have TMJ. I had bad popping and when I opened my mouth it sort of deviated to the right and then it would pop real loud. The first three months when I would turn my head or talk a great deal and, especially after eating, the T would be very loud and uncomfortable. Now, it sounds like a steady tone sometimes low and sometimes louder. You should see a neuromuscular dentist who work specifically with TMJ disorders. Let him tell you after testing you. They can tell. You might also have a problem with your SCM muscle in your neck.

16. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss

I don't really have any popping or cracking of my jaw, just soreness where jaw connects to skull under ears and I get what you used to get, turning my neck/head and eating (chewing) makes T loud for a while. I definitely feel it tight in my SCM, had tried massage therapy for a while and now doing chiro but no help with that. My neck muscle SCM is still pretty tight.

17. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      First, you should have an MRI and/or Temporal Bone CT Scan. I wouldn't let anyone touch you before you have diagnostic testing to rule out certain things. It sounds like it's from your jaw to me, i.e., sore under ears. Did you have an accident, did you do something physically, or did this happen out of the blue? My T happened, I think, when I bent over on my driveway and I was scrubbing real hard with my right hand. I think I blew it out completely, muscles, nerves. I hope it isn't permanent. Or they find some cure or remedy with all the research that is going on. I just hope that whatever it is, it will treat people like you and me who have no hearing loss along with T.

18. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      No nothing happened. I was under some pretty extreme stress and anxiety at the time for over a few months. I also have no hearing loss. The ENT ordered an MRI to check my ears for tumors but that was just the middle part of my head and didn't say anything about my neck

19. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I too was going under some pretty extreme stress at the time. But with my jaw in the shape that it was in and the root canals, mouth being extended open for a long time and then the driveway thingee, I think mine just blew as I indicated before. But, that doesn't mean that you and I didn't have a muscle stress spasmodic condition that just went haywire--so to speak. A Temporal Bone CT Scan would show if you have anything going on in your ear. It wouldn't be a bad idea, but what you said about how yours came about sounds like you might have been clenching without knowing it. That's my opinion.

20. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Erik my tinnitus definitely flares up after chewing I've been seeing a TMJ therapist and at times it feels like im making progress as far as the T goes and then I regress back ...been doing therapy for a month now hope I'm on the right path....Hope your doing well