Suggestions Chapter 7: Exercise and Nutrition

Discussion in 'Collaboration Space' started by Tinnitus Talk, May 31, 2016.

1. Suggestions for Chapter 7: Exercise and Nutrition

Put all of your suggestions, comments and ideas in here and we'll update the guide as we go.

The guide can be found here Tinnitus Help: The Guide

The content that goes in the guide will be for everyone. Please consider that this is for people from many different cultures and belief systems - don't be offended if there are certain things that don't make it in :)

• Like Like x 1
    2. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I've given up caffeine--not because I'm afraid it will spike my tinnitus--it doesn't. I gave it up because I found I sleep better. I also exercise at least 30 minutes a day, most days more. I do cardio almost every day and lift three times a week. It just makes me feel better and a sense of well being adds to a positive attitude for me. It was hard to climb out of the tinnitus doldrums and I am trying to prevent falling back when I have a bad day.

• Like Like x 3
    3. tony harp

tony harp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I.V. antibiotics after appendectomy
      I find when I can stay well-hydrated that the tinnitus is sometimes barely audible. At least, thats how it seems to work for me. When I get dehydrated my ears tend to sing to me. I'm used to it, surprisingly. But water, water, water is my mantra.

• Like Like x 3
    4. BobbyR

BobbyR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      A low sodium diet is very important. I can tell when i eat something with sodium in it, the pitch and loudness of my tinnitus will increase. Therefore, it is important not to eat processed foods (which are high in sodium) and to read the labels of what you eat to try to lessen your intake.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I've fit bits in, thanks to everyone so far.

As I get some more text put in there I'll expand and make sure it's all included.

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Exersize releases our happy endorphins and lifts mood and helps you cope better with the sound when feel better in ourselves.
      Going the gym,swimming,yoga etc or just nice short or long walks makes a daily difference in coping with tinnitus..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Joao Rio
      Amazed

Joao Rio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May, 25th 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Inflamation?? Eustachian Tube Disorder? Cervical Injury?
      Physical exercise has helped me in general but I have found these 2 particular types of exercise helped a lot: Yoga and HIIT (High Impact Interval Training)

1. Yoga. It helps with posture, including cervical posture. Relaxation. Breathing. Some breathing exercises cause me to feel actual decompression of the cervical and/or ear when doing them.

2. HIIT (High Impact Interval Training). This is a short but very intensive exercise regime that I do twice a week. It started after a small running injury sent me to the gym and I haven't left yet.
      2.1. I do give it my all and in this way get some sort of emotional discharge which translates to real physical decompression of the neck/ear area. (This also happens with other emotional discharges such as laugh and cry by the way)
      2.2. The harder exercises force me to in-consciously contract my face, jaw, neck area when I push/pull/etc. This also seams to have some effect on decompression of the neck and ear area and also in the T.

8. Shedee

Shedee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss after freediving accident
      What may (but doesn’t have to) worsen the T (need to test on yourself):

• Noise

• Stress

• Insufficient sleeping

• High blood pressure

• High cholesterol

• Sodium glutamate and other food additives, especially but not only in case one is sensitive to them

• Salicylates in food (au naturel protection of plants: blackberries, blueberries, orange, pineapple, raspberries, strawberries, raisins, mandarin, peppers, tomatoes, green olives, almonds, unpeeled peanuts, coconut oil, olive oil, luncheon meat, corn sirup, honey, jam, peppermint) and beverages (red wine, alcohol made of grain – beer, cider, cherry, brandy,…)

• Anitbiotics

• Contraception

• Alcohol

• Drugs

• Psychopharmaceuticals

• Caffeine (coffee, tea, plain chocholade, enery drinks) which may increase blood pressure and consequently stimulate nerve cells responsible for sensing of T

• Nicotine

• Oversalted food – deteriorates proper blood circulation and thus increasing blood pressure

• A lot of low-quality fat in food – worsening the ratio of good and bad cholesterol may deteriorate blood circulation

• High glucose in blood in conjunction with glycolysis problem

9. Shedee

Shedee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss after freediving accident
      Excercising aural muscles – eyebrows up, close eyes and then cyclicaly force-close eyelids until gentle buzz in ears is heard

10. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Bidyut saha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yoga, long walking and light physical exercise help me to be strong against t.

11. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      stationary bike for 30 minutes a day saves the sanity...

12. John B.
      Tired

John B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I have found that exercise before going to bed has greatly helped with sleep issues. I will regularly take an hour walk, or go to the gym a couple hours before bed. I also just feel better in general which helps with anxiety, etc.