Ear Wax Removal Did Not Improve My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by swimming, Dec 20, 2019.

1. swimming
      Wishful

swimming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone.

I went for an ear irrigation today after putting my loud tinnitus in my left ear down to impaction. After an unpleasant irrigation process the volume of the ringing isn't affected in the slightest.

I'm incredibly upset. I'm only nineteen and I never listened to loud music, I've only been to a handful of concerts and music is my passion. I can't believe this is permanent.

Will it go away? Does it take time to clear after the irrigation?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It all depends what has caused the tinnitus? Tinnitus usually improves with time so try not to worry too much. Something usually causes tinnitus and the most common is exposure to loud noise. You have said that don't listen to loud music. However, do you listen to music regularly though headphones even at low volumes? If you are a frequent user of headphones then this could be the cause of the tinnitus.

Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      swimming
      Wishful

swimming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I use headphones all the time at low volumes. Christ I didn't know that could cause it. If that was the case will it go away if I stop using them?

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @swimming

I am sorry to have to tell you that headphone use is the most common cause of tinnitus in these modern times. It is quickly followed by listening to loud music at concerts and clubs. I have written a lot about in this forum and advise you to stop using headphones immediately and don't even use them at low volume. Give your ears complete rest. If I were you I would never ever use headphones again. However, it is your choice.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @swimming

Please click on the links below and read my articles on tinnitus that I think will be of help to you. Take your time and read them thoroughly . Please also read the post below that I wrote in this forum.

Take care
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

I have expressed many times in the forum that it is a risk for anyone that has tinnitus which was caused by exposure to loud noise not use any type of headphones even at low volume. There are people in this forum that have tinnitus which was caused by exposure to loud noise and use headphones without any problems. However, there are many people that have Noise induced tinnitus and used headphones at low volume and regretted it, because their tinnitus has increased and wil lnot reduce to its previous baseline level.

The ear canal is approximately 26mm long. When sound is directed into through headphones, it has only one place to go and that is towards the eardrum. This can cause irritating to the cochlear situated behind the eardrum, due the syncopation within music. When listening to music through speakers, there is some dispersion before it is picked up by ear and enters ear-canal. However, if music is too loud one can still cause irritation to the auditory system which can spike the tinnitus and possibly make it worse.

There are people in this forum that have tinnitus which was not caused by exposure to loud noise and are quick to say using headphones causes no harm for people with Noise induced tinnitus.These people do not have NIT and therefore, know nothing about the condition. If you choose to follow their advice because they are telling you what you want to hear, that is your choice. Just remember, should your tinnitus increase then you will be the one in distress all by yourself with no-one to help you. Peruse some of the posts in this forum from members that have NIT and used headphones and regretted it.

6. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      There is no reason to make that assumption yet, although the fear is understandable.

If you just got your T, it could easily fade away in a few weeks or months, this happens quite often. Try to keep yourself distracted for the time being, and don't head into areas where loud sounds are to be expected. Don't lock yourself up either though, your ears need to keep receiving normal input.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      swimming
      Wishful

swimming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I will take a look right now, and I certainly won't be using headphones in future. Thank you so much.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      swimming
      Wishful

swimming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope so, but part of me remembers having this for a while. I guess I'll find out.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome @swimming Just take your time and read the articles and you'll be just fine. Use sound enrichment more about this is explained in the documents.

Take care
      Michael

10. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      My tinnitus began originally I believe due to earwax, I had a clogged ear for a few days and then realized, oh cool, my ear is ringing! I had a botched irrigation that made it go into the other ear, then got a better one which actually removed wax and changed the tone of my tinnitus a bit though it didn’t go away.

Did your irrigation remove wax?

My tinnitus became very bearable after a few months of getting used to it, I recommend not using earphones for at least a few months, try and think positively because it likely will fade.

Can I ask why the irrigation was unpleasant?

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      swimming
      Wishful

swimming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It removed a lot of wax but it was mildly painful in my right ear (which doesn't ring). Left ear has been ringing for weeks and there was less wax in there. I'm almost certain there's something damaged.