New to Tinnitus, What to Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      New to tinnitus, what to do?

The onset of loud intrusive tinnitus can be very traumatic for most people. I use the words loud and intrusive, because tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities. When it is mild, moderate or occasionally heard in quiet surroundings it is usually not too bothersome and a person can go about their daily affairs quite happily and unperturbed by this anomaly. This type of tinnitus usually comes on gradually and in some cases it’s associated with hearing loss, as we get older and the usual treatment is the wearing of hearing aid/s.

Tinnitus can be caused by other things: an underlining medical problem, build up of ear wax (cerumen). Jaw problems. Some medications and even irregular blood flow through the body causing Pulsatile tinnitus. There are a plethora of other conditions that can be responsible. However, the most common cause is exposure to loud noise or music that has been played at high levels causing some damage to the cochlear in the inner ear.

This type of tinnitus can be loud, intrusive and very debilitating. Often leaving a person at a loss and not knowing which way to turn to escape the nightmare that has suddenly come upon them. Your Dr has probably told you, it’s tinnitus and nothing can be done, you’ll just have to learn to live with it. I remember those words as if it were yesterday resonating through my mind and thinking, live with this for the rest of my life, impossible. So I fully understand how difficult it can be for someone new to this condition to take this in and believe it to be factual.

If you are having difficulty sleeping you might have been advised to try a night time sedation or an ant-depressant to help cope with the stress and anxiety that often accompanies tinnitus. These medications can be helpful especially in the early stages and they don’t have to be taken long term, so it’s something to consider. They can act as a safety net so you don’t become too down.

A referral to ENT will usually be recommended. In the mean time try to keep occupied with something you like doing, as it helps to distract the brain from focusing on the tinnitus. Avoiding quiet rooms during the day by playing low level non intrusive music such as classical in the background can be helpful.

At night a sound machine placed by the bedside playing nature sounds or listening to favourite mp3 tracks or Cds are good. Keeping the volume just below the tinnitus is ideal and set to play throughout the night until morning. It takes time to get used to sound therapy so please stay with it. Whilst in a deep sleep it supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time the tinnitus is pushed further into the background helping to make its perception less noticeable during waking hours.

In the early stages of tinnitus, if one chooses not to use sound enrichment sleeping can sometimes be difficult and there’s also the chance of the tinnitus becoming more intrusive as sleeping in a quiet room can allow the brain to increase it’s own background activity. In doing so it will also increase the tinnitus making it more intrusive during waking hours.

There is a tendency for newbies to try and cure their tinnitus which is quite understandable. There are many remedies, treatments and concoctions out there. Some affordable others quite expensive. I am not adverse to trying to help myself but want to say, there are charlatans and con artists eager to relieve someone in distress of their money so please be careful. Even tried and tested treatments I wouldn’t recommend a person try until they have been seen at ENT. Often a person after been seen at ENT is advised to wait a while.

The reason being. Many people habituate to tinnitus within six months sometimes a little longer and it has been known to go away. The ear is a very delicate organ and many Drs prefer to wait before investigating further and then suggesting a treatment. If other problems are experienced such as: pain in the ears, deafness, dizziness or balance problems this is of more concern and a person will usually been seen quicker.

It is best to have a word with your GP if you’re feeling stressed or depressed in any way, as previously mentioned there are treatments available. Leaving things alone until ENT advise you of the next step is the best thing to do in my opinion. Don’t try to fix anything or throw large sums of money at treatments that you have no way of knowing whether you’ll get any relief.

It is not advisable to listen to audio through headphones even at low volume and keep away from loud sounds. By all means go out but anywhere that plays loud music then wear noise reducing earplugs.
      Take things slowly and one day at a time. Read some of the positivity threads and ask other members for advice. Many people eventually habituate to their tinnitus and go on to lead a happy and fulfilling life even though it may take a little time.

Michael

• Like x 25
      • Helpful x 10
      • Agree x 3
      • Friendly x 3
      • Hug x 2
      • Winner x 2
      • Informative x 1
      • Useful x 1
    2. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      It is sometimes advised to also use certain supplements, eg. magnesium, zinc, B12, NAC, vit E. I believe some studies have suggested that deficiencies of some of these may possibly be implicated in tinnitus onset, or that they may have a mild protective effect. I bombarded my system with these for a while without noticeable effect. I guess whether you want to try comes down to how much you believe in supplements.

Sometimes it does seem to be helpful to get a short high-dose course of Prednisone/Prednisolone. There is a short time window when this might be effective (reports vary on exactly how long), but talk to your doctor ASAP to pursue this route.

Excellent idea for a thread @Michael Leigh. (y)

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I've also heard low iron can cause Tinnitus.. :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have heard that too Natalie. Tinnitus is a complex condition and we are all different. What might affect one person might not affect another.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have heard it too.
      due to the lack of Red blood cells carrying oxygen around the body.....
      Animia can cause tinnitus.......lots of love glynis

6. Shades of grey
      Curious

Shades of grey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unsure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Due to my allergies I am an involuntary Vegan. I have to control my diet carefully as I cannot take vitamin supplements.
      Could my t be telling me when my iron is low?

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If you feel tired and rundown and your motions are pale you could need iron.
      A simple blood test can tell you so I would see your doctor...lots of love glynis

8. Darbiter

Darbiter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Know that it WILL get better with time. I think of noise like I used to think of silence, which SOUNDS scary, but it's not. Life is very much the same as it was before

• Like Like x 8
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. kk16

kk16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      good information. Not a newbie, but didn't know about the sound therapy. That is helpful!

10. Rob Hammer

Rob Hammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      painful syringing
      Thanks for this @Michael Leigh
      I’m 3 months into T after completely blocking my ears with mineral oil, then a painful syringe I developed timnitus. I was sent to audiology and it was discovered I have hearing loss typical of prolonged exposure/ damage from loud equipment. I work in health care but my wood working hobby likely contributed to the damage.
      I struggle to get used to this constant ringing in my head. I hold out hope that I can learn to cope and hopelynthatbthe t will dissipate over time.
      Your article highlighted the night time background sounds. I haven’t followed this as I am able to sleep through the night. But, I understand your suggestion of playing sound to help push the t into the background. Will a fan suffice for this purpose?

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Rob Hammer

A fan will most likely mask the tinnitus completely and this is not advisable since its volume cannot be adjusted. I advise using a dedicated "sound machine" for using sound enrichment at night. Oasis sound machines are the best in my opinion and are designed for people with tinnitus. They can also be attached to a pillow speaker. Model: S-650 is popular. Please click on the links below and read my articles that you might find helpful.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-ent-doctor-and-hearing-therapist.24047/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/a-change-of-lifestyle.20643/

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Rob Hammer

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      painful syringing
      Thank you for your thoughtful and informative posts Michael. I enjoy reading them and value the hope and insights youbbrinf to the discussion.
      I was wondering if you have experience or knowledge related to my situation. I have never had tinnitus except for the occasional kind after loud music or working with a power tool. Nothing that brings a real memory to mind. I was also never aware of any hearing loss.
      I have had wax build up and tried to tackle the issue in my own. I attempted to q tip it out. In a misguided attempt at softening it, I used a syringe to inject mineral oil into my ears. This led to a full, blocked feeling and discomfort. I knew something to be so wrong. I was able to get to my doctors office after a few hours. The discomfort was great, not quite painful, and the ringing had started.
      The nurse used a squirt bottle and painfully cleared both ears with warm water.
      She said the ringing should go after a few days.
      This was three months ago. I’ve had the ringing daily. Although there have been some days where I haven’t noticed the Tbat all. These were a few weeks ago. It’s been on a bit of a spike since the last bit of relief. If I’m busy I don’t notice the t, but it’s there when it’s quiet.
      An audiologist found I have hearing loss consistent with a machine worker or concert goer. Both ENT’s state the hearing loss is the cause of the T. When I say it was a result of my attempts to syringe they are of the opinion this was coincidence. Both ENT’s did not detect any damage to the ear or symptoms indicating damage. The first ENT feels I should be better in a year or two. The last felt the T would be permanent.
      I’m aware I may be looking for hope, but your thoughts, experience, and knowledge regardeing the recovery process will be appreciated.
      It is been emotionally difficult to adjust to having T. I move been doing the best I can and joining this group has even a god send.
      My kind regards

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Rob Hammer

Thank you for your kind comments.

Since you have read my posts in the links that I sent you there isn't really much I can add. There are more articles on my "started threads" that you might also find useful. You are in the very early stages of tinnitus so please follow the advice I have given in my post on this thread: New to tinnitus what to do? The advice your Audiologist has given you about hearing loss causing your tinnitus, could be right. Also, the advice given by your ENT doctor. Give it time and use sound enrichment especially at night. Try to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings during the day by using low level background music.

If you have hearing loss it is advisable to wear a hearing aid as I've explained in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. If you don't wear a hearing aid your brain will try to compensate for the missing frequencies that it can't hear from the outside world. It will turn up it's internal gain (volume control). Whilst doing this it will also increase the tinnitus, making it louder and more intrusive.

Hope this helps and please read my other posts on my Started threads, that you might find helpful.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    14. Rob Hammer

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      painful syringing
      "If you have hearing loss it is advisable to wear a hearing aid as I've explained in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. If you don't wear a hearing aid your brain will try to compensate for the missing frequencies that it can't hear from the outside world. It will turn up it's internal gain (volume control). Whilst doing this it will also increase the tinnitus, making it louder and more intrusive."

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. i will go back and read your articles. I've re read the article new to tinnitus. I'm looking forward to getting my sound machine this friday. I will follow your guidelines. It makes sense that this is a beneficial therapy.

My ENT and the audiologist didn't recommend a hearing aid. They felt my hearing loss wasn't so far that it would affect my day to day life. The ENT mentioned a company called sound options, for sound therapies, but didn't feel feel the hearing aid was required. The audiologist was only recommending a hearing aid to help with masking the T.
      I'm not sure what to make of these differing ideas.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
    15. pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013

16. pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Hi there, I'm getting fitted with maskers by nhs Cambridge tomorrow. I just wanted to ask a few questions.

1) I think the maskers should be "on ear" but I heard the NHS ones play white noise. I heard that pink noise is better for hyperacusis sufferers. Any thoughts?

2) I heard you can get on ear maskers that also use bluetooth and allow you to play other sounds via bluetooth, any thoughts on this and if there are any good brands?

3) Re: musicians earplus/ sound reducing earplugs, I was thinking of getting some for noisy environments eg train stations (train whistles/ fast trains etc). Only issue I have small ear canals (I think they call it tortuous!) and have otitis which can mean that earplugs can cause bother. Would really value any recommendations here here...

4) was thinking of attending tinnitus expo in Sep, not sure how useful it will be (quite for for me to travel) , any thoughts?

5) I tried to reduce sugars etc as have heard this really helps some people. Finding it hard to maintain. Anyone had any success from changing diet?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @pixiebelle

I do not understand the above question: "on ear" ? Please explain thanks. Maskers proper name is: White noise generators. I can choose white noise and pink noise on my white noise generators. To be honest there is not much difference between the two.

Again I don't understand what you mean by "on ear" If you are getting NHS white noise generators stick to using them and don't start playing around with other types. However, if you choose to buy "in-ear white noise generators, which are smaller and more discrete these are ok since they emit white noise. Puretone . net supply these.

Re: musicians earplus/ sound reducing earplugs, I was thinking of getting some for noisy environments eg train stations (train whistles/ fast trains etc). Only issue I have small ear canals (I think they call it tortuous!) and have otitis which can mean that earplugs can cause bother. Would really value any recommendations here here…

White noise generators need to be worn continuously for up to 8 to 10hrs a day, forget about using any type of earplugs. The purpose of using white noise generators is to treat tinnitus and hyperacusis. You need to be wearing white noise generators all day.

was thinking of attending tinnitus expo in Sep, not sure how useful it will be (quite for for me to travel) , any thoughts?

Many people will disagree with my comments on tinnitus seminars and conferences. Since you have asked for my opinion, I believe they are a complete waste of time. Many of the healthcare professionals that host these events have very little knowledge about tinnitus. They know about the anatomy of the ear and can treat it medically and surgically and any underlying medical problems associated with it. If you want to meet fellow tinnitus suffers and have a good moan and groan about your daily life with tinnitus that's fine, go to tinnitus conferences. If you want real help and advice with tinnitus, then listen to people that live with the condition and have real experience with it, in tinnitus forums like this one. Again, this is just my opinion based on many years of experience.

5) I tried to reduce sugars etc as have heard this really helps some people. Finding it hard to maintain. Anyone had any success from changing diet?

My advice is stick to your normal eating and drinking in moderation. Tinnitus is difficult enough to live with without complicating matters further by changing your diet, as it rarely helps.

Take care and all the best
      Michael

18. pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013

19. pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Thanks for this reply. I may be using incorrect terminology but I think that these sound generators sit on the ear rather than go in the ear like some headphones

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @pixiebelle

There are basically two types of white noise generators formally known as maskers. BTE (Behind The Ear) and In-Ear. Both emit white noise and will treat tinnitus and hyperacusis in the same way.

BTE white noise generators look very similar to hearing aids and they are the type that I use when at home. They sit behind the ear. From the main body of the WNG a small plastic tube is attached that wraps around the ear and enters the entrance to the ear canal. At the end of the tube there is a very small hole from which white noise is emitted.

The other type of white noise generator is called In-Ear. These are much smaller and are "bullet" shaped. They sit in the entrance to the ear canal and a small hole/aperture from which white noise is emitted. The white noise volume is adjusted via a very small volume control attached at the rear of the device. I bought these privately to use when not at home, as they are smaller and more discrete than BTE white noise generators.

White noise generators take time to get used. Therefore, some people prefer to build-up the wearing time slowly to allow the auditory system and brain to get used to them. At first try wearing them for 1 or 2 hrs then take them off for the same amount of time. Slowly increase the wearing time over a few weeks until a maximum wearing time of 8 to 10hrs is achieved.

It is advisable to use a "sound machine" by your bedside at night to provide sound enrichment, as it's not advisable to sleep in a quiet room. Once you are wearing white noise generators continuously, try NOT to keep adjusting the volume throughout the day. They should be put on in the morning and left alone. Continuously adjusting the white noise will prevent your brain habituating to the white noise generator and pushing the tinnitus into the back-ground so it becomes less noticeable.

White noise generators used correctly and ideally a person should be having counselling with a Hearing Therapist, can be very effective in treating tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Michael

21. pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013

Thanks very much for this. I have BTE Oticon ones through the NHS and already I am having some issues. The first day I wore them 3 hours and they irritated both ears and increased tinnitus. I thought this was due to my reactive tinnitus, as it got worse through in-ear headphone use so maybe it sees the in-ear aspect as a threat.

Buut maybe I should have built up usage as you suggest.

The audiologist said she put three programmes of sound on these and I can't seem to change to any of them. Also, the volume doesn't seem to work. I will put new batteries in and see if this makes a difference...

Would you say bone conducting headphones or headphones which don't sit in the ear might be an option if I don't stop reacting to these?

Px

22. pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      Oh, I forgot to mention, that I'm fine with regular sound generators that you just put in the room... do you think they would be a better bet for me?

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @pixiebelle

I also have NHS BTE Oticon white noise generators. These are high quality devices. I advise you not to use any type of headphone including bone conduction, which I believe will make your tinnitus and hyperacusis worse, trust me on this even at low volume. Please keep away from headphones for the foreseeable future.

The term "Reactive Tinnitus" was made up in tinnitus forums and is now commonly used to describe when one's tinnitus increases or is irritated when hearing certain sounds. The irritation that you are experiencing is hyperacusis. Many people that suffer a noise trauma or exposure to loud noise causing the onset of tinnitus experience this. It will improve with time using the white noise generators. These are the best devices to treat hyperacusis and will desensitize - reduce the sensitivity of your auditory system. They will also treat the tinnitus.

You need to be patient and take one day at a time. Put the WNGs on in the morning and wear them for just 1 or 2hrs. Make sure the volume is kept below your tinnitus. Take them off after 1 or 2hrs and slowly build up the wearing time. At night use a sound machine by your bedside for sound enrichment.

The regular sound generators that you refer to which I believe you mean "sound machine" or sound apps are good, but they are not in the same league as White Noise Generators which are the best devices to treat your condition. Despite what anyone tells you in this forum about Reactive Tinnitus, trust me there is no such thing. Your tinnitus is reacting to sound but it is the hyperacusis that is causing it. With time your auditory system will desensitize and hopefully return to normal.

I advise you again, never to use any type of headphones even at low volume.
      All the best

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    24. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I think the time for reduction of T occurs 3-6 months after onset, after that it becomes harder and harder for T to fade or reduce in volume. If a person's Tinnitus is the same volume 1 or 2 years in a row chances are it wont reduce. I also think Hyperacusis needs a long time to go away like years and years (1-5 years), for some people it might be permanent.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @dpdx
      Whilst there are some truths in your statement. Please try to remember people like @pixiebelle, are seeking help and support at this forum not negativity. Tinnitus is an already difficult condition to manage and when hyperacusis is present, can make the condition more problematic. I want to believe the purpose of your post was not to stoke the fire with pessimism and give pixibelle a feeling of false hope but it is hard for me to believe otherwise. It is for this reason, I often advise people not to discus any tinnitus treatments they are having in forums, as their hopes and asperations can easily be shot down in flames by negative thinking people.

Regarding hyperacusis. It is true this condition can take a long to go away. However, the truth is a little more complex. I know this from personal experience having had this condition very severe which was completely cured in two years wearing white noise generators in the manner I've stated as part of TRT. Furthermore, I have experience corresponding and counselling people with hyperacusis. It is unfortunate but depending on where a person lives, they may not be able to get access to certain treatments for tinnitus such as the wearing of white noise generators as is my case and pixibelle because these devices are expensive to buy privately but under our health system, where available are given free. Ideally I would like to see pixibelle have counselling with a Hearing Therapist in addition to wearing wngs but good results are still possible.

The white noise generators will also treat the tinnitus and I refer to this in many of my posts on my started threads and also in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View.

Another more important factor that can hinder or prevent a person habituating to tinnitus and moving on with their life, is their mental attitude towards it and hyperacusis. If one is a negative thinking person, this can have a profound if not detrimental impact on their recovery, that I have written about in the posts in the links below.

I wish you well.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

• Like Like x 1
    26. pixiebelle

pixiebelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/ 2013
      The thing I'm learning about this condition, is that it's a bit of a head game. The aim is to turn a hyper alert vigilant auditory system into a calm relaxed passive listening system via various distraction techniques and positive thinking. It doesn't help that i have other health conditions which are also inflammatory and related to over sensitivity and which can impact on tinnitus and life quality (allergy and digestive issues). So i have to work really hard to deal with ( many ) setbacks.. It's whack -a-mole, work on one problem the other jumps up. I have to keep positive or I'm in trouble

27. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know a nurse who has tinnitus due to some kind of chronic iron deficiency. She says the tinnitus appears in the left ear only if it's related to iron levels, and that's it's more of a whooshing type tinnitus.

• Useful Useful x 2
    28. Linderbee

Linderbee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Over the counter or Rx

29. Linderbee

Linderbee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Over the counter or Rx
      Go on YouTube and search, e.g. rain sound for sleep 10 hours no ads, or fan sounds or whatever. Make sure there’s no ads haha! But look into tinnitus retraining therapy- only viable, researched method to help us habituate to this internal sound

• Like Like x 1
    30. Eternity Driven
      Wishful

Eternity Driven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just Started One Day
      Great Info @Michael Leigh , Thanks for posting that, this is a big help to me. I'm brand new to T, and feel a little lost on this site, with so much info. Your post made it simple. :)

• Like Like x 1