ENT Consultant Suggests Pawel Jastreboff's Cycle Deregulation Methods and rTMS

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, May 7, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi all,

I got an email today from an ENT consultant, based in the UK who was in the Daily Mail having treated his own tinnitus. I'll refrain from naming him, but his tinnitus, IMHO, didn't sound too serious.

Anyway, he got back to me stating he feared we were decades off any cure [which depresses me no end] and suggested I tried 'Jastreboff's cycle deregulation' methods and after that rTMS, saying they were very expensive but had good research results.

Although I've had tinnitus since 1997, it's only recently I've been thrown back into this?

Anyone have any experience of these treatments?

2. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      You wouldn't happen to mean Vik Veer, the TRT Messiah?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I would indeed.

In a nutshell... what are we saying? Genuine or wobbly?

4. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I suspect that he's right about that. Almost none of the limited amount of research ongoing seems anywhere likely to lead to a cure anytime soon. At most things such as the Shore/Neuromod devices might help habituation and reduce tinnitus noise level somewhat.
      There actually seems to be little robust evidence out there to support the TRT Jastreboff protocol - again I think some smaller scale trials suggested that it helped somewhat with habituation. My view from a UK perspective is that if you can get some adapted version of TRT on the NHS - i.e. they give you a noise generator and sporadic counselling (you certainly won't get the frequent counselling sessions required by Jastreboff on the NHS) then it's probably worth trying. But I certainly wouldn't waste a lot of money going private for it. Did your NHS ENT refer you on to audiology?

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Allan1967

Try not to be too disheartened by what you have been told. Your situation will most likely improve but it can become more difficult if you allow negative thinking to take hold. I am not saying never to feel negative but try not to let adverse comments by others about tinnitus get to you. It is for this reason I have previously advised you not to read-up on potential tinnitus cures or indeed look for any. With this sort of mindset you are not helping yourself believe me.

You will get the best help and long term aftercare for your tinnitus in the UK through the NHS. No private practice or treatment for tinnitus in the UK will be able to match it. That, I assure you. I have been an out-patient for 23 years and have had very good aftercare treatment. I know you are currently having treatment or will be starting it soon via the NHS. Please stop looking for alternative treatments and accept what is currently available for you. This cannot be rushed. It took me 4 years to habituate the 2nd time. Calm down try to relax and look at the positive things in your life and focus on them. This will help keep negative thinking at bay and stop looking for tinnitus cures.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yes they did.

7. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      ...and with all due respect to this doctor who I know nothing about, given my experiences that I've seen here on this board and through interviews, etc, I honestly believe that you probably know more about current research and when there will be a cure than this guy. Just my opinion though, but I do agree that focusing on a cure as the be all end all isn't the best path. I think the goal should be habituation focused while nurturing and promoting paths to cure/research/funding/awareness.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I couldn't agree more. Looking for tinnitus cures is one of the worst things a person can do. Habituation is the key and the answer to living a life with tinnitus. I am not saying it's perfect but it's doable. If people started looking at the positive things in their life and give themselves a chance to come to terms with tinnitus, they would start to feel a whole lot better about themselves, instead of being bogged down with negative thinking which is of help to no-one.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
    9. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      That's the reason there isn't treatments. it's a cycle of palliative medicine and the same arguments about doing mental gymnastics to learn to live with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      He clearly doesn't keep up with research, otherwise, he would have mentioned recent tinnitus research developments and at least said that medical treatments in the future seem possible.
      This doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend trying CBT but Jastreboff really isn't the 'end all be all' of tinnitus treatments anymore. Though it seems like we're trading TRT for CBT now and I don't think that's making things any better when it comes to how tinnitus is viewed by the public but that's another issue.

And while the goal for a sufferer should be to learn how to cope as best as they can (which can look differently for everyone and everyone can have different limitations), when it comes to tinnitus awareness and research the goal should absolutely be medical treatments and ideally a cure.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 3
    11. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Absolutely. If you're going to go for psychological interventions, it's useful to know that TRT is NOT substantiated by high level scientific evidence, whereas CBT is. See recently published European clinical practice guidelines.

• Like Like x 3
    12. KotaDomowa
      Dreaming

KotaDomowa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Februar 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Despite "it" [my private term on tinnitus] I study two majors and I work (I am not severe case, but I have OCD and I am very bad at any noise where there should be a blessed silence). I meet all my goals that I set before my illness.
      What gives me strength?
      Faith in healing. In bimodal simulation.
      On the days I lose her, I have a problem to do anything, I am very restless and I am beginning to cry.
      @Allan1967
      proszę nie trać wiary, bo obecnie ta wiara wreszcie zaczyna być zasadna.
      Czy przesadzę, jeśli powiem, że mamy pierwsze w historii przypadki wyleczenia? (ClareB, Kelpie)

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Don't do rTMS or any stuff like that. It can have unexpected results and make your tinnitus much worse. Not worth the risk.

• Informative Informative x 2
    14. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Sorry I glazed over after reading "ENT Consultant Suggests..."

• Like Like x 1
    15. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Hes a know it all quack job.