Does gammaCore Vagus Nerve Stimulation Work for Tinnitus or Is It a Scam?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Lance, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Lance

Lance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Has anybody heard anything about the gammaCore product that is a non-invasive self-application for Vagus Nerve Stimulation?

Status: Available in the UK (?). Not available in the USA (?), but being considered by the FDA.

Sounds like they are selling the device to target migraine sufferers.

Their website shows a nifty ergonomic looking thing you hold in your hand and press against your neck.

http://gammacore.com/

Q1: Is this just electronic snake oil? Or does it give relief to tinnitus sufferers?

Q2: What does the thing cost?

I do not own stock in their company. Just another guy with tinnitus. Would be willing to buy the device from someone in UK and have them ship it to me.

Strangely though, I found another article that says it's a New Jersey based company.

Q3: Where is the gammaCore device actually made and where is it sold?

Thank you.

gammacoredevice.jpeg

2. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I would be very weary about dropping money on something like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lance

Lance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      After doing some more money, I totally agree.

Looks like you can actually buy it online now.
      $300 gets you the unit that has 50 "doses".
      Inside is a battery that can't be recharged, you have to buy a new unit from the factory.

That threw up all kinds of red flags.
      Basically they made an ergonomic looking cash cow.

4. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      There is no way of reaching the Vagus nerve via the skin. The nerve is buried deep into the tissue and all the nerves in the skin will just conduct all the electricity away from the area. The only way to reach the Vagus is with an implant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lance

Lance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Very good point Silvio.
      Especially, since they have you apply some gel on your neck.

In one of the articles I referenced, there was the name of a doctor you could contact and email for further questions.
      I emailed the doctor and this is what they said ...

=========================
      Thank you for your note.
      In order to obtain, and for most beneficial use of the device, you would need a physician to prescribe it for appropriate use in accordance to your condition.

The FDA approval for the gammaCore device is still pending in the USA. The device is approved in other countries, such as Canada and countries in the European Union, and physicians form those countries can offer consultations and prescribe the device.
      I hope this is helpful.

Dr Juana Marin

6. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      Nothing like a like con artist that is trying to take advantage of the sick or elderly.

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      This does sort of look like a scam, but the underlying premise of stimulating the vagus nerve does have merit. I've heard of expensive medical devices can be helpful for treating anything from depression to migraines. Fortunately, there's many different ways to do this at home, without any expense whatsoever. Stimulating the vagus nerve is a pretty vast topic.