New and Struggling

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lorritay, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Lorritay
      Jaded

Lorritay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Hi, first time I have wrote on a forum but I am finding this high pitch ringing so hard to cope with.I have had a lot of stress to deal with recently with a unwell parent and working and got a very bad cold flu 6weeks ago.Five days later the ringing started 24/7 high pitched and sometimes hissing or pulsing sounds in mainly one ear.I can't sleep well and very stressed with it.Christmas was not good with this constant ringing but I was off work so easier to cope.2 doctors appointments and given nothing only ENT appointment for in 6 weeks.I could not cope with work after Christmas and got a sickenote for 2 weeks but this is due to run out and the ringing is no better. I am in turmoil not knowing what to do I have had the ringing for 5 weeks now and I am still no better at coping or sleeping but should I go back to work into a noisy school environment.Will it make me better or worse and will I cope with the noise.I am getting myself into a state over the decision and the ringing is getting worse any advice appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome and sorry to hear your trouble. It may be that your anxiety is making the T worse. Do you have enough sleep? Sleep deprivation can also cause T to fire up. So try to deal with anxiety and sleep first before you get to see the doctors.

When T is new and the ringing is causing much anxiety and panic, it is advisable to get masking ASAP so you won’t be so anxious and fearful. Stress and anxiety are toxic to T. So try masking if you haven’t done so.

Here is a TT thread with an audio player for many good masking sounds. It also comes with nice tips for new sufferers . There are also links to ATA & BTA with loads of more info. The more you understand tinnitus and how it works, the less fearful and stressful you are and which is good for T.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

TT’s own excellent masking sounds:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/
      If you need more masking sounds, here is free ‘aire freshener’:
      http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html
      You can mix your own rain sounds with this rain generator:
      http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/rainNoiseGenerator.php

Search youtube with ‘masking sounds’ and you will also get lots of different nature sounds, such as rain, waves, waterfalls, running brooks, insect sounds, even shower & faucet etc.

Besides masking, you may want to take some supplements to calm your nerves or to help with sleep. you can try natural alternatives such as Camomile tea, Hops, Valerian tablets, Melatonin etc. Check out this site on using natural herbs for sleep problem:
      http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...alth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/

Try to keep calm and postive, and to give your body enough time. Try to read up the success stories to learn some new insights and to have hope for the future. Take good care & God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorritay
      Jaded

Lorritay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Thank you Billie 48 .I have seen your thread on the site and downloaded it on my kindle to keep reading your words of inspiration that is helping to keep me going at present.I was getting better at dealing with it until the decision whether to go back to work is upon me.I work in a noisy school and am frightened of making the ringing worse and whether I would cope.I do not know yet the cause of the ringing because only seeing ENT in Feb thanks again for your kind words.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      Welcome to the forum. You've found a great place full of supportive and knowledgable people. Try to stick to the success stories section of the forum. It's important to reduce your stress/anxiety about tinnitus, as with that, it will become easier to habituate.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorritay
      Jaded

Lorritay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Thanks, I am getting some ear plugs today to help me cope better.I am going to face work and hope for the best because I feel I need to get back into my normal life.I am scared though of facing it with the ringing and reduced noise tolerance.Thanks for your help though because other than this site I feel all alone dealing with this.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Scream
      Happy

Scream Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Try to return to a normal life and you will find it easier to cope. I feel I may be one of the lucky ones who haven't had much trouble getting used to this dreaded noise. I have a very loud pitch 24/7 365. I spent the morning finishing off a home reno, a little painting, some caulking, all very quiet while the kids were asleep and it wasn't until I sat down and opened my laptop that I even noticed it. Go figure. So it is possible to go about your business and block out this madness. Stay positive and don't spend to much time focusing on this. Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Lorritay,

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time with your tinnitus. I have both ringing and pulsating in only one ear, too, so I know what you're going through. I took a leave of absence from work five years ago, when my mild tinnitus first became severe. But for me, getting back to work (I work in a busy office) was actually therapeutic. It took my mind off the tinnitus for awhile.

You may need to ease back into work, and I agree with Billie's recommendation of some high-quality ear plugs, but I believe that getting back to a regular routine will actually help you. Five months is still not long enough for you to begin to get used to the tinnitus, and being at home and worrying about it won't help. I believe it is better to get back into normal life again, and to distract your mind.

Take care, and please know that we are very glad you've joined us here at Tinnitus Talk!

Best wishes and hugs,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorritay
      Jaded

Lorritay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Thanks for advice and kind words all who have replied.Karen it is only 5 weeks that I have had the tinnitus for not 5 months, do you think it is to soon.Scream it is good to hear that you are coping so well and there is light at the end of this horrible dark tunnel.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorritay
      Jaded

Lorritay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      I had it planned to go back to work today but in the morning I fell to pieces,so scared of going in with the ringing.I feel a failure and that my life is falling apart.I will now have to contact doctors and hope I can get another sick note.I'm feeling so unsure of everything.

11. Padresstar

Padresstar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 months ago. 11/15
      I've had my constant buzzing for 3 months now. Masking helps and keeping busy and doing your normal schedule helps. Also know that you are not alone.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorritay
      Jaded

Lorritay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Padresstar what started your ringing and are you coping with it. I am now at 7 weeks and at times it seems a little quieter but then goes back to periods of loud again just as I am hoping it is getting better. Still not seen the ENT yet.At first it was only one ear but now gets some ringing in the other ear.It still goes worse with loud noise. Still wishing this will stop.

13. Bryanpen

Bryanpen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Lorritay, I am in the same situation as you. My T started about 6 weeks ago and it seems to vary in servity. Some days it's manageable and I think it's getting better, only to have it get worst again. Ever time that happens it feels like a huge wave of depression slams right into me. Just got back from the ENT. Absolutely no fucking help whatsoever! Excuse my language, but I am coming to the realization this is now my life. The depression is nearly too much to handle. I have an MRI this afternoon to rule out something in the brain. Part of me actually wants them to find something. How screwed up is that! I have 3 small kids and I actually want them to find something wrong in my head. i am not in a good place right now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorritay
      Jaded

Lorritay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Hi, Bryanpen thanks for replying. What you are feeling and going through is identical to myself.I am trying my best to deal with this and it is so hard.I don't know how you can learn to not hear it because it is there all the time driving me mad.It does seem a lower level hiss in now both ears in the day, but like yourself gets worse late afternoon and then ringing all evening and night.It's 7 weeks now and I am going to ENT in 2 weeks.I got nothing from my Gp only a sick note and hospital referal.I don't feel confident the hospital will do anything as you have gone through.Are you in Uk like myself.The worse thing for me is the fear for the future with this because I have not yet gone back to work and don't know how I will cope.Do you cope with work? I am glad you replied because it is better to have someone to share this with who is going through the same thing.we have to keep going for our families,look after yourself lorri

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorritay
      Jaded

Lorritay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      My tinnitus started with a really bad cold and a stress full time and is still there 7 weeks later.What I was wondering has anyone had a bad cold again on top of this because I now feel symptoms again following looking after my grandchild.Will it make it worse or stop it ever going away.Has anyone had experience of this happening again it's the last thing I need at the moment.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorritay
      Jaded

Lorritay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      11 weeks now and the ringing is still there but at a lower tone with more hissing sounds. So I think it is improving.I have been back to work which is difficult but I am managing. I am trying to live a normal a life as possible and not use ear plugs too much but I am unsure if this could make my ears worse in a noisy environment. I get confused not knowing whether to protect my ears or not give them notice. I am forever grateful for the people on this site who have helped me. I would not have made it so far without the info people have shared.I have been for a MRI today and found it horrifying, really because I did not know what to expect and want to share the info with others. I had to put in ear plugs and they put foam at the side of my ears then put a plastic mask over your face when you lie down. They clamped this mask down onto the bed and slid the bed into the scan. I was so scared because I did not know about the mask. The staff were brilliant talking to me and timing it for me. I was not prepared for the loudness of it with weird noises so frightening. Maybe it's me just over reacting and others have found it no problem but I just want to inform others so they are not as shocked as I was. I do not want to scare but sometimes if you know about something you are not as frightened. I just now await the result and hope my T does not go worse following the noises of the scan.

17. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi @Lorritay ,

I hope your managing better? I understand where you are coming from, as I too, work in a school and was so anxious about returning to work with T as was terrified about all the noise. I had a bell right outside my office which I had to get removed. I do feel though, being at work rally helps to have some normality. Being at home and overthinking is any good at all. Big hugs to you xx