Noise-Cancelling Headphones for Constant Industrial Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jade, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Jade
      Lucky

Jade Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics, Beats by Dre, Work
      Hello guys,

Just wondering what the best noise cancelling earphones your guys can recommend for constant loud industrial noise,

Thank you in advance

Jade :)

2. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      Hi,

I think Bose QuietComfort 25 are about as good as it gets. To my experience they attenuate low frequencies better than many earmuffs, but at higher frequencies attenuating is not nearly as efficient. Depending on the amount of noise you may want to use earplugs in addition to them. Other possibility would be earmuffs equipped with radio and mp3 player input jack.

Hope this helps.

3. marcp
      Irritated

marcp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Pro ears are worth checking out. Not cheap though

4. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

JTP is right!

A Comparative Review of High End Noise...

But you could also just go for a good passive isolating headphone that sounds good. If it is too quiet you focus on the T too much imo.

5. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      i use bose qc15 but that might not be enough for industrial noise: you might need a sennheiser which are really pricey and i have no experience with, but for industrial noise you need the industrial protectors: foam plugs for ears and over the ear ear-muff style to go on top.

6. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      How loud is the noise? Plain foam plugs may be the only way.

I do tend to use my Sennheiser in ear plug type ones to isolate low level machine noise when at work, as I find them quicker to get in and out when I need to. It gives me enough protection, anything properly loud and the foam plugs go in. I work in agriculture.

7. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    8. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I have the bose quietcomfort 3 as they cover the whole ear (you can also wear earplugs underneath) while the Bose qc 15 sit on the ear.

9. xmierce

xmierce Member

Tinnitus Since:
    10. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      So I got my Bose QC 20 in-ears yesterday. They are amazing! I will soon try them in a car and they will most likely offer almost complete silence. Airplanes the same. These are that good!

I also played around with them a bit. I played white noise from my speakers that block T, then put these on and... complete silence. Didn't take my T away though... :)

11. Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I am considering buying the new Bose QuietComfort 25 but then the oddest thing struck me. Since the microphones pick up external sound and produce a sound to counter this won't this increase the actual decibel level even though you cant hear it? I know this sounds silly but I just cant wrap my head around the concept even though I have tried several of these headphone. And please dont laugh at me, I'm really not that stupid, it's just that I'm evidently am a bit techincally challenged ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietCom...16746759&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+quietcomfort+25

12. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      The damage to hair cells from an external source does not actually come from the decibels. Rather it comes from the sound wave complex produced by the external source. Since the Bose product produces a sound wave 180 degrees out of phase with the sound wave from a given external source, the net effect yields less potential for hair cell damage, not more.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

13. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Can listening to different frequency tones with sound generator (different volumes up to 90DB for short periods like 1-3sec) produce Tinnitus?

14. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      That ought to be a simple question to answer, but it is actually a surprisingly complex issue. Best just to say that there are too many factors involved for me to give you a responsible and authoritative response.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

15. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I would love to hear what you think about this. Complex means interesting.

16. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
    17. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @bwspot, when I answer a question on this board, any question, I like to be on firm footing so that I can respond responsibly and authoritatively. So even though "complex means interesting," if there are too many factors involved - too many variables - for me to give a responsible and authoritative answer, you'll have to respect my decision not to respond. It really does not happen very often.

Kind regards -

Dr. Stephen Nagler

18. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      fair enough, I was just curious as I did that kind of testing and I wondered if this might be a trigger.
      I know you will say that i am still trying to figure my t out, but true is I am curious to know more.

19. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      These are very good headphones. But you won't get the protection available from wearing foam earplugs. Since they are light weight, however, I will wear them with my other ear plugs if I plan on doing something noisy.

20. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Anything can be a trigger in any given case. That's why I cannot give you a responsible and authoritative answer.

Well there's where possibly I can be of some help to you. I know you are curious, but in my (rather considerable) experience in helping tinnitus sufferers over the years, I have found that it is only when they stop trying to figure out their tinnitus that they can start making progress towards achieving meaningful lasting relief. So I guess it comes down to what's more important to you: satisfying your curiosity ... or finding the relief you seek.

Something to think about, anyway.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

21. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Hi,
      Can anyone comment on using the Bose noise canceling headphones when flying or driving? Any negatives, aside from the cost?

Thanks!

23. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      My life at the moment can be described as a bit reclusive. I don't go out much because the tinnitus in my ears spikes after noise exposure. I know people say you shouldn't let your T define your life, but I find it hard to put that into practice as the spikes turn my annoying T into super loud T and the only reset seems to be sleep.

Suffice to say my vision for my life is not one where T rules my life. I will get there eventually, it's just going to take time and patience. I am doing my up most to be positive even in the face of the peaks.

My best days seem to be when I stay at home. I play games on the computer, watch TV and go out for walks. I never have anything on too loud so I can usually get away without any spikes in T. I also play white noise in the background which while not being a complete mask gives me a layer of comfort.

However, I absolutely loath the drive to and from work. I haven't kept a log, but almost every trip home at night seems to trigger the spike. Sometimes the morning trips do as well, although not as much.

I am wondering about getting noise cancelling earphones and playing white noise in them whilst driving or going outside. Is this a good idea? Any particular brand I should consider?

24. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      i feel you man, i have been getting spikes almost daily lately over stupid sounds that arent even loud to the regular person just in my house..i had the bose headphones a year go when my T wasnt as bad as is now i would wear them to the gym.. their good but they can only do so much..i got a permanent spike once when i was wearing them i guess in the middle of my workout they decided to turn up the music really loud i felt it over my headphones and left but it got me tho..but the bose are a good brand kinda expensive but good..

25. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I work in a fairly noisy environment. I have earplugs and ear muffs for when I go into very noisy areas with industrial equipment. But my office runs at about 65 db because of computer servers I work next to and equipment next door. I'd like to find some headphones that I can listen to at a low volume without risking additional damage to my ears.

Listening to earbuds in a somewhat noisy environment just seems like asking for trouble. I did find I could put in earbuds, then put my high quality earmuffs over them and I was able to listen to things at a low volume, but I don't really like doing this.

Any suggestions?

26. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      The best noise cancelling headphones come from Bose, read the reviews and see for yourself

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComfort-Acoustic-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B00M1NEUKK/

27. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    28. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      • Like Like x 1
    29. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks, some good suggestions. Ideally I'm looking for something that can plug into my phone or tablet so I can listen to things at low volume while blocking out ambient noise.