Overview: Promising Treatments for Tinnitus and Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Erlend, Mar 16, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I thought we could get a clear list of the promising research for tinnitus treatments in this forum section. If people could help me fill out the list that would be great!

Name:
      AUT00063

Developer: Autifony

Stage: Clinical Trials Phase I

Delivery method: Pill in mouth

Promising Results:

Availability, best case scenario:

Trial Sign-up:

Name: Am101

Developer: Auris Medical

Stage: Clinical Trials Stage III

Delivery method: Gel delivered with needle through eardrum

Promising Results:

Availability, best case scenario:

Trial Sign-up: http://tinnitus-study.info/

• Like Like x 4
    2. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      AM-101 is meant to treat acute tinnitus while Autifony might also help chronic tinnitus

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      So far Autifony has no results to show, apart from the fact that if they are planning Phase II the side effects were probably not deadly. AM101 did show some promising results, but its still in test Phase III:) AM101 is not probably not going to be available before 2016, maybe 17, with Autifony nobody knows. From what I read I understand that clinical trials can take up to 10 years so for Autifony maybe 6-7 years is quite optimistic, more realistic 7-8 years. :)

4. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    5. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
    6. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      why, because the is nooooooooooooo causal treatment for any inner ear disease. So it's a huge unmet
      need. And how many of the soldiers come back with T & Hearing Loss? So I see reasons for fasttrack,
      but ofcourse, I really don't know.... just would be great!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I agree, but I feel like it would be hard to convince autorities

8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Wikipedia is not a scientifically correct site, but from what I understand it says that it only works for life-threatieing disease:) Neither tinnitus (a symptom) nor hearing loss is life threatening so I dont see why it should qualify.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi Stina,
      maybe you are right, but on the FDA site there isn't live threatening the only point.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/bya...ngaccesstoimportantnewtherapies/ucm128291.htm

"Determining whether a condition is serious is a matter of judgment, but generally is based on whether the drug will have an impact on such factors as survival, day-to-day functioning, or the likelihood that the condition, if left untreated, will progress from a less severe condition to a more serious one. AIDS, Alzheimer’s, heart failure and cancer are obvious examples of serious conditions. However, diseases such as epilepsy, depression and diabetes are also considered to be serious conditions."

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I feel like there will be some effective treatments relatively soon. Hopefully the two above work. And I don't think it's because people are gonna care what we go through but there is ahuge market possibly worth billions of dollars if this need is met. Companies know there is money to be made. So I'm optimistic

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Previously you quoted wikipedia and thats what it stated. However, it is not a good source. I suppose this one is better. I dont know if this qualifies then, but we will see. :)

12. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      yes money makes the world go round!

13. JohnG

JohnG Guest

Just in the wire. Man prints new cochlea with 3D printer.....I wish

14. Just FYI - 3d printing of a functional cochlea will never be possible. It could only be used for research purposes or to help doctors in training to understand the anatomy. It would be more likely to grow one out of a petri dish, but even that is probably decades away. Gene therapy is the only therapy that I can see changing or replacing cochlear architecture in the next decade. Look to GenVec (partnered with Novartis) for gene therapy.

• Useful Useful x 1
    15. GMac14

GMac14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 30, 2013
      What about nano-bot technology! Surely if they are creating robots the size of a nanometer (size of a red blood cell) they can treat tinnitus and hearing loss!

16. Sorry that's not possible right now. I work in the nano tech field, and we're just not there yet.

17. GMac14

GMac14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 30, 2013
      But one day! Surely with this type of technology will be utilized down the road to treat inner ears.

18. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hey resonance, do you know anything on deep brain stimulation? The article where they stimulated the caudate nucleus in epelypsy patients with T states that it cured there T while doing that... I know theres clinical trials about this goin on or starting soon somewhere in california with a guy steven chung he seems to think it could be a cure possibly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Its certainly possible, but a long way away from a hearing application. I personally have an angle on this, but I can tell you its over a decade away. Its definitely closer than the nano-robots that rebuild cochleae though!

• Like Like x 2
    20. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
    21. latestnight
      Crappy

latestnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2010
      Great thread idea, thanks for making it.

22. mattd

mattd Member

Tinnitus Since:

Drug: Ancrod - Fibrinogenase isolated from venom of Malaysian pit viper
      Yikes! o_O

23. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If it would cure tinnitus, I would gladly jump into a pit of Malaysian pit vipers.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      On second thought, pulling a Cleopatra would probably kill me, so I guess it probably cures tinnitus in a sense. :)

25. DanielJP
      Curious

DanielJP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      If it's possible to grow liver tissue from stem cells, why not damaged hair cells? Or at some point a new cochlea.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Why would they treat acute tinnitus? It goes away by itself. Sounds like a scam. Unless there is sometime I miss here.

27. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      acute tinnitus means tinnitus up to 3 months. Having tinnitus for 3 months doesn't necessarily mean that it will go away. Am101 is probably just not fit for chronic according to the theory that tinnitus in later stages happens in the brain, not in the ear. Am101 will calm down the nervous activity in the inner ear, not the activity in other parts of the brain.

28. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I think you might have mixed the terms "acute" and "temporary"

AM-101 can treat tinnitus in the acute stage, and maybe chronic as well, we don't know yet. The reason for separating these stages in tinnitus development is that some scientists think that after a while (post-acute stage) the tinnitus settles in the brain, and can't be treated the same way you can if you've only had it for a little while (up to ~6 months)

But there is evidence pointing towards this, which is why many people on this forum hope that AM-101 might be able to help those of us who's had tinnitus for more than 6 months

29. benryu
      Anime

benryu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      First post here !

I am glad to join the community, (not so glad to have T. haha). Anyway I have very good hopes for the AUT3. I discussed the matter several times with friends from the pharmaceutical industry and many VCs are massively investing to find a cure since the world health organization among other NGOs predicted this chronic problem to become huge by 2020 (you can check the WHO report: health2020). It's sad but tinnitus is reaching a critical mass in terms of market and is now worth spending money. Autifony already have closed an amazing 1st round with concrete results (http://www.autifony.com/publications/Autifony_OBN_award_Oct2013_FINAL.pdf), apparently their Kv3 channel modulator is pretty bad ass, plus this first round would have never happenned with a very high chance of success
      The company is now rumored to be discussing for a 2nd round with OrbiMed (another VC). The only explanation I see here is that they are planning to go mass market very quickly, I am sure they will lobby the shit out of health authorities to get their ROI. :)

Let's cross fingers for the phase 1 results to come asap! Can't wait to taste those delicious pills !!!

• Like x 5
      • Optimistic x 3
      • Hug x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Informative x 1
    30. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hope your right!!! ;)