Overview: Promising Future Treatments for Tinnitus and Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Erlend, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I thought we could get a clear list of the promising research for tinnitus treatments in this thread.

• Like Like x 4
    2. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Auris Medical AM-101 is meant to treat acute tinnitus while Autifony AUT00063 might also help chronic tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      So far Autifony has no results to show, apart from the fact that if they are planning Phase II the side effects were probably not deadly.

AM-101 did show some promising results, but it's still in test Phase III :) AM'101 is not probably not going to be available before 2016, maybe 17, with Autifony nobody knows.

From what I read I understand that clinical trials can take up to 10 years so for Autifony maybe 6-7 years is quite optimistic, more realistic 7-8 years. :)

4. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
    6. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Wikipedia is not a scientifically correct site, but from what I understand it says that it only works for life-threatening diseases :) Neither tinnitus (a symptom) nor hearing loss is life threatening so I don't see why it should qualify.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi Stina,
      maybe you are right, but on the FDA site there isn't live threatening the only point.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/bya...ngaccesstoimportantnewtherapies/ucm128291.htm

"Determining whether a condition is serious is a matter of judgment, but generally is based on whether the drug will have an impact on such factors as survival, day-to-day functioning, or the likelihood that the condition, if left untreated, will progress from a less severe condition to a more serious one. AIDS, Alzheimer’s, heart failure and cancer are obvious examples of serious conditions. However, diseases such as epilepsy, depression and diabetes are also considered to be serious conditions."

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    8. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I feel like there will be some effective treatments relatively soon. Hopefully the two above work. And I don't think it's because people are gonna care what we go through but there is ahuge market possibly worth billions of dollars if this need is met. Companies know there is money to be made. So I'm optimistic

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Previously you quoted Wikipedia and that's what it stated. However, it is not a good source. I suppose this one is better. I don't know if this qualifies then, but we will see. :)

10. Just FYI - 3d printing of a functional cochlea will never be possible. It could only be used for research purposes or to help doctors in training to understand the anatomy. It would be more likely to grow one out of a petri dish, but even that is probably decades away. Gene therapy is the only therapy that I can see changing or replacing cochlear architecture in the next decade. Look to GenVec (partnered with Novartis) for gene therapy.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    11. GMac14

GMac14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 30, 2013
      What about nano-bot technology! Surely if they are creating robots the size of a nanometer (size of a red blood cell) they can treat tinnitus and hearing loss!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. Sorry that's not possible right now. I work in the nano tech field, and we're just not there yet.

13. GMac14

GMac14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 30, 2013
      But one day! Surely with this type of technology will be utilized down the road to treat inner ears.

• Like Like x 1
    14. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
    15. mattd

mattd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Drug: Ancrod - Fibrinogenase isolated from venom of Malaysian pit viper
      Yikes! o_O

16. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If it would cure tinnitus, I would gladly jump into a pit of Malaysian pit vipers.

On second thought, pulling a Cleopatra would probably kill me, so I guess it probably cures tinnitus in a sense. :)

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    17. benryu
      Anime

benryu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      First post here!

I am glad to join the community, (not so glad to have tinnitus haha). Anyway I have very good hopes for the AUT3. I discussed the matter several times with friends from the pharmaceutical industry and many VCs are massively investing to find a cure since the world health organization among other NGOs predicted this chronic problem to become huge by 2020 (you can check the WHO report: health2020). It's sad but tinnitus is reaching a critical mass in terms of market and is now worth spending money. Autifony already have closed an amazing 1st round with concrete results (http://www.autifony.com/publications/Autifony_OBN_award_Oct2013_FINAL.pdf), apparently their Kv3 channel modulator is pretty bad ass, plus this first round would have never happened with a very high chance of success

The company is now rumored to be discussing for a 2nd round with OrbiMed (another VC). The only explanation I see here is that they are planning to go mass market very quickly, I am sure they will lobby the shit out of health authorities to get their ROI. :)

Let's cross fingers for the phase 1 results to come asap! Can't wait to taste those delicious pills!

Human researchers are getting closer and closer to the commercial cure. Just keep in mind that research goes really fast when there is money, in the early 2000's, the papilloma virus vaccine was still a crazy dream after stagnating for decades, money was massively injected around 2002 and in 2006 it the commercial vaccine was released.

Research for tinnitus was ignored for so many years and money is being really injected since 2011 with a drastic increase in 2013. It is very reasonable to expect a commercial cure or at least a decent medicine to control tinnitus by 2015/2017.

• Like x 13
      • Optimistic x 3
      • Hug x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Informative x 1
    18. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It's funny that a majority of the doctors does not seem to follow the research at all. My ENT has no clue about any of this (and he also confessed to me that he knows nothing about hearing disorders like T and H and that he's just specialized in nose problems). And my audiologist thought that the VNS/Microtransponder-stuff from 2011 was still groundbreaking news. She got really pissed at me when I told her about AM101 and Autifony. Like I knew her job better than her or something.

• Like Like x 8
    19. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You do. Any idiot can be an audiologist. It's easy to be something when there is no treatment for it. All they can do is prescribe hearing aids.

The fact that they lump in hearing, a complex sensory organ, with otolaryngology (plumming) should tell you something. Do they lump in optometry with dentistry? No.

• Like Like x 2
    20. benryu
      Anime

benryu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Ahahah, yeah I guess most regular doctors don't care, they just go through their routine, and don't actively try to keep themselves updated, if a drug is released, they know pharma labs will do massive marketing campaigns with a ton of "incentives" for the doctors electing to prescribe the drug to their patients. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Dr. Gans

Dr. Gans Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Different treatments work well for different people. If anyone is interested in Mindfulness for managing tinnitus, let me know. I've done quite a bit of research in this area at UCSF. I'm happy to share what I know.
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Of course I am interested. I am currently doing an MBSR course. Nothing specific to Tinnitus.
      But if I can connect it to my Tinnitus and better handle it, this would be a great help.
      Maybe you can write something about it in Doctors corner.
      Thanks in advance.

23. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I have reviewed financial information from all major players in the otology business segment. Financial data sources sometimes contain "hidden" information about clinical trials. I have compiled all relevant information into a two sheet document - both financial data, but more importantly - information about the current status of all clinical trials related to hearing loss and tinnitus (there are probably more than you think - at least, I was surprised).

I have doubled checked all information where possible. The information is therefore "pretty accurate". But it is not information done by a journalist (who would typically verify all information with the company themselves).

There are websites for all companies (some more informative than others).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Creative Creative x 1
    24. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,
      there are 2 more companies I recently found. Acousia looks also very interesting.

Audiocure Tinnitus/Hearing Loss/Regeneration http://www.audiocure.de
      Acousia Hearing Loss http://www.acousia.com/

25. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Thank you. I will take a look and see what info I can find on those two...

26. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Acousia looks interesting, because Hubert Löwenheim was also the founder of Otogene, a company which was refounded as Sound Pharmaceuticals. He is a well known researcher and holds some patents for hair cell regeneration approaches. But I think it's more or less also an office :)

One more company found:
      http://www.anidapharma.com/index.html

• Like Like x 2
    27. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      • Like Like x 3
    28. benryu
      Anime

benryu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Damn is it me or the ATA is totally OFF in terms of investment strategy, why the hell going for some wave therapy alternatives. Those technics have failed for nearly 30 years to cure tinnitus and they still give money.

Moreover I went through the article linked to the other project, those guys try to reinvent the wheel, it must be joke. They ignore most of the recent breakthrough in their literature review, and are working on some attempt to mask tinnitus through attention modulation drugs -___- >WTF

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Probably why tinnitus will never be cured, cause they're putting the money up their ass.

• Funny Funny x 3
    30. benryu
      Anime

benryu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      No worries Grace, the ATA is more a lobby than the main actor toward the cure, private companies & trusts are the one that are bringing the cure.

The ATA budget is a drop in the ocean of research funding, and it will have little impact on the cure.
      Look at all the promising research projects and the shit load of money being invested. The cure is near :)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1