I Was Exposed to a Carbon Monoxide/Smoke Detector

Discussion in 'Support' started by Street Spirit, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Was just exposed to a carbon monoxide/smoke detector. Was an ear piercing beep. Thankfully only one but I was right beside it!! It sounded like 100 db or more but my
      Ex's db app listed it at 79??!! Doesn't seem right...

My right ear is burning..and T is up..anxiety or actual damage? anything I can do? don't forget I also have hyperacusis.

I am on 500 mg of magnesium, 2 doses of Omega 3 and a complex B vitamin..I guess it's just wait and see huh?!

To think, all year I've successfully avoided my smoke detector upstairs while cooking on numerous occasions and get blasted ( yes by a beep) from a faulty detector that I begged my ex to fix over mths...

I am probably overreacting, and I know this crap is bound to happen but it just really sucks when it does..

argh

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Lynn,

If the beep didn't last very long, my guess is that it did not do any permanent damage. I've heard that taking NAC (N-acetylcistene) helps protect your ears from further damage. (It's a supplement). You could try taking it along with your other supplements to see if it helps. Good luck, and I hope your ears (ear?) settle down soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Street Spirit Member Benefactor

Thanks @Karen I will grab some this evening.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I think youl be okay.. My work has ovens that beep almost as loud if not louder then a smoke alarm and im around them for 5-10seconds a day and always been fine. Anxiety will always get the best of you, so just try to relax i doubt you did any damage.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      If you think there's been some serious damage done (ear pain, muffled hearing, significantly increased tinnitus) get on some oral steroids ASAP just to be safe, IMO. +1 for NAC also, it's good stuff.

Hope things get better!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

@yonkapin what is the timeframe for steroids?

7. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think you will be fine. :)

Lets say it was a 100 decibels. OSHA say your exposure to 100 db can be 2 hours, while NIOSH who are a lot more cautious say your exposure can be 15 minutes. See here.

I'm pretty sure your t will settle down soon.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      See post 5 here

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

10. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Ideally within around 72 hours of acoustic trauma (sooner the better basically), but I've read studies that cite benefits from starting oral corticosteroid treatment up to about 3 or so weeks from the date of injury.

They've helped me tremendously in the past which is why I would recommend them, but everyone is different and you might just be experiencing a temporary spike. Have a quick read around and evaluate your options, but if you chose to give the steroids a go, get them as soon as you can.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed that @adam2525 already pointed to another post I made that basically says the same thing, haha. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Thanks. I will see how I feel in the morning..I appreciate everyone's quick responses. x

12. Dan77

Dan77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Hi Everyone,
      I'm also suffering from this horrible thing but I notice that my T goes away when I'm swimming or under the shower. Do you have the same effect with your T as well ? Therefore, do you still think that this could be something wrong with our internal organs ? Would like to hear your own opinions friends.

Thanks!!

13. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      I have the same thing. In the shower i don't hear it and most of the time my T is very low after a shower. I also can't hear it when te water tap is on.

14. Dan77

Dan77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Hi Sandra, I guess then in your case also I guess it should be caused by microwave hearing and not due to any issues with your ear organs that causes this.

You may also check this link
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_auditory_effect

I'm actually studying if most of the people who are here is having the same thing like mine and I like to hear everyone's opinion on this.

15. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      @Street Spirit my ENT says you have a 48 hours window of opportunity for steroids. Magnesium and vitamins are already protecting you, but @Karen is right, try NAC. Anyway, don't worry. It's a short exposure, your T will settle down.
      Hugs

• Like Like x 1
    16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      100dB for a couple of seconds is probably fine...

btw: dB apps are not to be trusted! Never Ever!

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Dan77

Dan77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Karen, Appreciate if you could let me know your personal opinion on the link I have posted above with regard to microwave hearing...

18. Stacey427
      Alienated

Stacey427 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

@Stacey427

Hello and thanks for checking on me..very sweet. Well this morning my ear still feels a bit more sensitive, NOT a significant increase in T but the T " bells " came back after incident. Not sure why that tone of T comes and goes, but it was first tone of T I had. TTS is a little worse but always is with increased sensitivity. So I remain unsure if my immediate panic stricken reaction caused a spike or else the noise did..should I bother with steroids? I don't know...how effective are they? makes me wonder why my doc never gave them to me to begin with laat year :/

oh also, I looked up the detector..apparently it says 85 db for warning beep .which would be what I heard. .but then it also says 85+ for alarm..which I don't think it was..and the phone app registered 79 about one metre from device. .so pretty close to 85 and accurate in reading.

I think I will be o.k. :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Thanks again for support!! X.

• Hug Hug x 3
    21. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Street Spirit: I was exposed to fire Alaram for 6-7 seconds .T did spike but went away after 10 days .
      I think you should be fine .

22. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      Alot of them are rated at 10 feet. Meaning if it says 79db it is 79db at 10 ft. So if you were close to it the db would be much much higher. Also the higher pitch makes it worse. I got mine from a alarm siren which uses a piezo the same as a smoke detector.

23. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hi did you T subside ? My damn T won't go down after my last loud noise exposure .

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Stacey427
      Alienated

Stacey427 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014

Hey Lynn, just checking in and seeing how your travelling along?

I was exposed to a short blast of a stereo for about 3-4 secs tonight and it scares the living life out of me! I was only a foot or two away and my gosh I am nervous.

How are you and have have you gone since the fire alarm? I hope your ok. All my warm wishes:) x

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

It was the app reader that said 79 db...and the detector manuel that said 85 so I think in my case it was actually accurate.

I recovered just fine from that..however I now have a very bad chest cold virus that has really messed with my ears...hopefully they settle again..

seriously nothing more annoying than these ears conditions. .

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

You will be o.k :)

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

My T did go down @Sean ...so the alarm did spike your T and it's still that way?

28. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Street Spirit..I think it was settling down and one idiot screamed about 2 inches away from my ear and I have spike ..it's not too loud but I need white noise at night otherwise I can't sleep !

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I just got hit by a fire alarm at work today, again. Every time the T seemed to get way worse, so I'm sure this won't be an exception. I think I will tell the boss that I quit because even though it's a good job and the pay is good I just can't take it anymore. Life with tinnitus is hell.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking