Silence for Days. May Be Cured.

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by JonathanWS, Jul 22, 2018.

1. JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      Hello. I introduced myself a few weeks ago here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hello-count-me-in.30172/

I had been coping by playing these therapeutic sounds 24/7:

耳鳴治療音樂 - 最有效的治療耳鳴音效! (15 分鐘見效) Tinnitus Sound...

I went on Medrol a few days ago. I have been taking a potpourri of supplements, doing intermittent fasting, and avoiding weed, caffeine and carbs.

I have now gone 48 hours of silence. Will continue to update, whether or not it returns. Let me know if there is anything I can offer in terms of advice or support.

Love and happiness to all the sufferers here.

• Like Like x 11
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    2. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      Even if it does return, silence is a huge good sign.

My T went away intermittently before it left for good.

• Like Like x 10
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How long did it take for it to begin going away intermittently? How long did it take for it to be gone for good?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      • Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      I took a hit of weed yesterday and it came back for a few hours. Guess I am officially done with that stuff, after 25 years of chronic toking. Came down to a fizz this morning, and has been silent again all day. Total silence.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      Been 3 days of silence since the weed triggered it on Tuesday.

So today I decided to test it out with sugar, and had a large frap from starbucks, which has 65g of sugar. The T came back right away, and loud this time. Now I'm pretty sure there is a connection between the T & sugar. I'll never go overboard on sugar like that again. May have to quit all carbs. Idc, it's worth it.

Drank a bunch of ACV afterwards to help with the sugar spike. It's now settling down to a gentle fizz, after about 12 hours.

The final thing I want to test is caffeine, which I'll do once this goes away.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      Woke up to silence taday after a rough day triggered by the sugar. Just had a 1/2 pot of coffee without any sugar, and there is still silence! I can cautiously cross out caffeine alone as a trigger.

Will remain completely off sugar and weed and post my resuts next week.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

Why are you taking steroids? What dose you taking and for how long have you been taking them?

I know 3 other people who have either respite from tinnitus or complete resolution whilst on steroids.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      Thank you for asking. The steroid was in case there was any inflammation in the middle/inner that was causing a disturbance. My ent said the smack to my ear could have given my cochlea a concussion.

The dose was starting with 4mg x 6 on day 1, tapered down to 4mg x 1.

Since my last post, I have had some very minir hissing or fizzing 1/10 but nothing worse. I have continued my herbal regimen and avoidance of most carbs, all sugar, alcohol and weed.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      Update: Two months ago, my T began as a loud and horrifying sensation that lasted over a month. I still get some mild buzzing every now and then but still consider myself cured. Since adding NAC to my potpourri of supplements, I rarely even get the buzzing. I have re-introduced coffee, but that sometimes causes some noise, so I try to avoid that. I have re-introduced weed a few times, and unfortunately each time it triggers some ringing. So I am maintaining my strict regimen of a sugar-free and alcohol-free diet, and still consider myself basically cured. Good luck to everyone here!

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Dilshaad

Dilshaad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection in ear
      Can someone advise what is intermittent fasting?

12. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Jonathen- thc is a trigger for me too.... so that's over with! wine..is not..thankfully.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      JuneStar - Great to know you get to enjoy wine. Giving up weed is a worthy sacrifice. It enhances our nervous sensations, so it makes sense that it would be a trigger. Good luck to you!

Dilshaad - Intermittent fasting means not eating for a long period during the day, or sometimes even longer. It did help when I first started seeking a cure. I would fast from before bed, until the next late afternoon. There are several theories as to how this reduces the T. However, since taking NAC and being 90% free of T, I continue to eat regularly, although I stay away from refined sugar and caffeine as much as possible.

• Like Like x 1
    14. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yeah, and I always preferred weed over wine but oh well, if it helps that's what matters. I just started NAC today. how long before you started to see effects? It helps with the ringing? how much do you take?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      JuneStar it took about 3 weeks to notice its effect. I began with 1 pill (600mg) a day the first two weeks. Then two doses per day since then. As of last week it is the only supplement I am taking, and have had complete silence. Please let me know how it goes.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Ive been taking one pill in the morning @600 mgs. Yesterday I took two. It doesnt spike me, thankfully and my T has been more of a light electrical static noise. Ive been trying earplugs again and it seems to cause H when I take them out. so I dont really want to wear them anymore. My ear fullness is better and the weird sensation of something in my ears is gone.. Hopefully it's fading.

• Like Like x 2
    17. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I think the NAC is helping my mood too. which is awesome. My naturpath has me on something called Min-Tran which is a mineral supplement meant to calm the nervous system.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I take this regularly, and in the beginning, I thought the more the better. NOT! If I took a dozen or more, I noticed it disrupted my sleep and gave me weird dreams. If I take 6 or less (I curently take 4/day), I do just fine.

My Osteopath used to be an ER physician, and said the first thing they do when someone comes in with some kind of toxic exposure or drug overdose is to give them NAC. It quickly boosts glutathione levels, which is the body's most important detoxification enzyme. -- I'm happy to hear NAC is working for you; I think it's time for me to give it another try and see how I respond.

• Like Like x 1
    19. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      Hi what are your supplements other than NAC that you take

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      IamCalifornia for the first two months I was taking Gaba, Ginko, Taurine and NAC. After eliminating all but NAC, my results improved the most. Now I take 600mg 2x a day.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did NAC happen to spike your tinnitus?

22. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      it doesnt spike mine.

23. manny222

manny222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise at indoor gun range
      what is NAC. I would like to try that to see if it has an effect on my Tinnitus.

24. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      NAC makes my T disappear completely (like totally gone...silence), but the effect wears off and i get T again.

I only take it before i go to the dentist just in case it prevents a spike. I am scared to take pills regularly.

If you haven't tried it maybe it will help you.

25. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @manny222, NAC stands for N-Acetyl Cysteine. It's one of three amino acids that make up the body's main detoxification enzyme glutathione (called a tripeptide). The other two are glutamic acid and glycine. The body normally has ample amounts of the latter two amino acids, but frequently is low on the cysteine.

NAC supplementation normally has the effect of quickly increasing glutathione levels, helping detoxify the body. I assume this is the mechanism behind the reports of improved tinnitus from using it. I suspect especially that it helps detoxify the brain, which is so closely connected to tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      Bad news, but validating at least. After weeks of silence, I decided to have a cheat day on Thursday. For breakfast I had Burger King breakfast sandwich and two donuts. About an hour later, the damn T arrived. About 5/10. Lasted the day and through the night. Went back to zero carbs immediately, and now it’s finally gone, with an occasional non-bothersome hiss.
      I don’t need any more proof that my only choice is to stay away from carbs and especially sugar. So to recap, my known triggers are:
      Weed (this above all else)
      Carbs (sugar)
      Alcohol
      Caffeine
      Stress.

So you don’t have to go back to my intro, my T started in June and came after years of infections, tubes, and high pitch hearing loss.

Hope this at least provides some guidance for the copers out there.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @JonathanWS,

Thanks for your update. -- Can't say I necessarily agree with you that your recent experience was "bad news". If you didn't have tinnitus, and were somehow forced to eliminate Burger King and donuts for other reasons, your body would likely be forever grateful! ;)

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      You’re right. It was just so upsetting to hear that damn ringing after thinking it wasn’t going to come back. The thought of never eating a donut again sucks. I think I have to accept that it will never be completely cured and all I can do is try to control it. And yup, the rest of the body will definitely appreciate staying away from Bk. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    29. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Maybe you are having issues with gluten? I was dx'd with Celiac Disease (allergy to gluten) in 2008 and can remember wanting to grab donuts out of co-workers hands as they wagged it around in front of me. Gluten is really addictive! Cheese and nuts helped get me through withdrawal. I find your issues interesting--the gut is where all the brain chemicals are made.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Ron Robles
      Confused

Ron Robles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 4 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Don't believe it at all.

• Agree Agree x 1