Hello. Count Me In.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JonathanWS, Jul 15, 2018.

1. JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      Hi everyone. I am Jonathan from NYC. After years of ear infections, tubes, and 100's of concerts, I miraculously avoided tinnitus... until 2 weeks ago when a mosquito buzzing near me woke me up and caused a reflex slap to the side of my head. I woke up with ringing and buzzing, and had blood coming out of my ear.

I went to the ENT that week, and was told I have tinnitus. They are holding off on the hearing test for a couple weeks to let the ear heal.

I wake up tinnitus free every morning since that day. But at around 4-6pm every afternoon it comes on. Starts as crickets and segues into an orchestra of high pitch horror. Every single day it has been that same pattern.

All of my favorite things make it worse. Weed, coffee, weightlifting, running, and even walking are triggers. All I can do all day is lay down and enjoy the silence as I wait for the hells bells to ring. Once it starts, I cry myself to sleep until I wake up T free and wait for it to return. Fortunately I am a teacher and am off over the summer, so I have the luxury of suffering at home as I hope to heal.

If anyone is familiar with my particular symptoms and pattern, please offer any advice you can. Whether it be encouragement or hopelessness, I just want to hear from people who might have anything to say. Thank you for reading this and I hope to hear from as many people as possible. Thank you!

2. Nice
      Gloomy

Nice Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      Hi Jonathan, have you tried sound therapy/maskers? There's the audio player on this web site and a bunch on you tube. They help me cope. Check them out. Hope you feel better soon.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I am assuming your T was caused by hearing loss as well due to loud concerts and ear infections, the slap to the head was probably just the final insult. How hard did you wack yourself? lol

So you said it's completely silent until the afternoon
      how loud does it get at it's worse?

The only hope is for the wait for the medical world to come up with therapeutics for hearing damage or ways to target areas in the brain causing tinnitus.