Steroids: Prednisone / Dexamethasone / Others (Oral and Injections)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, Apr 23, 2012.

1. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Thanks Sailor- I was actually wondering what Gabagamma is and asking @Angel G

2. Fenwick

Fenwick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Hi folks-
      New guy here, and I'm finding the supportive and informative discussions very helpful.

I think I will link to the grisly details of my particular situation in the hopes that it helps in this thread, too:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/144645/

Short form: My sudden-onset T is strongly correlated with a new medication that I suspect was ototoxic for me. I was slow to understand the situation, and ended up with a course of oral Prednisone almost two months after my T first started. (80mg, two-week taper.)

The good news: After finishing the Prednisone, my tinnitus almost completely disappeared!
      The bad news: Only in my right ear!

My left ear, (which was somewhat worse to begin with), is still really bad 10 months on. I will always wonder what would have happened if I acted sooner.

So if you are reading this because you have suddenly developed tinnitus, (especially if no traumatic sounds were involved), I urge you to get to an ENT and ask emphatically about Prednisone. The noise you are hearing may be a ticking clock...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      are the tympanic injections dangerous? I heard that you can go completely deaf and become dizzy/vestibular damaged for life? I went on prednisone tablets, the IV steroids may be effective also and I've regained some hearing and speech comprehension but still have problems with hearing

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. James69

James69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Hello. I am still freaking out over medications I have been prescribed.

Saw a second ENT today. Much more professional than the first one I visited. My T initially began on 9/23. It went away after a few days but returned to stay 10 days later. This new ENT wants me to take Prednisone. The scrip is:
      9 days @60mg (6 pills)
      1 day @ 50mg (5 pills)
      1 day @ 40mg (4 pills)
      1 day @ 30mg (3 pills)
      1 day @ 20mg (2 pills)
      1 day @ 10mg (1 pill)
      Does this length/intensity seem excessive? I have taken prednisone before (2 years ago, pre-T, for a bad skin rash due to taking a Sulfonamide) and did not experience any memorable side effects, but it was a smaller and shorter dose. I am afraid of lowering my immunity to fighting off any colds, and also the possibility of excessive sweating and/or increased heart racing. Dr. thinks it *may* improve my T. I am aware that it can sometimes lessen the nuisance level of T (often just on a temporary basis), but the potential side effects scare me. I also had three teeth pulled seven months ago. Is that cause for concern?

5. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      To me this seems an appropriate dosage and length of treatment. I wouldn't worry really...

6. James69

James69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      @Atlantis Thanks. Took the first dose this morning. Only noticeable effect I've noticed so far: I've had a couple of temporary sweating spells. Can't tell if I've had an actual small T spike or if I'm just imagining it.

7. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      That's all normal. Will you let all of us know if the steroids help your tinnitus?

8. James69

James69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      • Useful Useful x 1
    9. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Corticosteroids can cure T & H if taken immediately after T & H appears.
      Corticosteroids are the king of all T treatments.
      The problem is that if you delay take them after some time may be ineffective.
      Corticosteroids can cure fresh T & H.

10. James69

James69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Update after Day 2: Cannot really tell if the Prednisone has any effect on my T. If so, it is only dropping it slightly. However, my H seems to have dropped considerably. Sweating spells have minimized since Saturday. Sleeping has become slightly more difficult. Hard to get comfortable in bed & seem to wake up a lot. Am now taking Melatonin for sleep instead of Benadryl. Will report updates soon.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. James69

James69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Update: Day 5 on the Prednisone. H still seems a little better, while the T seems (mostly) unchanged. Sleeping continues to be a slight problem, but got about 5 uninterrupted hours last night. Sweating has stopped completely. I had a headache a couple of nights ago-not sure if that is common or not. Slight constipation has begun-not sure if that is a possible side effect either.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Angel G
      Dreaming

Angel G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
    13. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
    14. James69

James69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      A brief belated Prednisone update-- occasional headaches continue, but not taking anything (i.e. Tylenol) for them. I do not appear to have any loss of appetite to speak of. No longer having constipation. I had an MRI two days ago and experienced a slightly louder hissing in the ears for over a 24-hour period (subsided slightly today). H still seems better. Today was my final day at full dose (60mg). Start quick 5-day taper tomorrow (Monday).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. James69

James69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Another Prednisone update: The louder hissing seemed to rebound from its spike about 24-36 hours after the MRI. Brief headaches continue. Occasional light fatigue spells don not last long. Wish I could have a nice hot cup of coffee to wake up most mornings :) Still taking NO sleeping meds since abandoning the melatonin a week ago. Not sure if I should resume it once the Prednisone ends after Friday. The H seems to still be more tolerable at most times. The T loudness varies slightly during the day. Over and out for now...

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. James69

James69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Took my final dose of Prednisone yesterday. Does anyone know if your body happens to go through any kind of withdrawal after taking it for two weeks? I had a brief sweating spell yesterday, and I continue to have brief headaches (usually centered in the back of lower head, near the neck). Aside from those, nothing appears to be out of the ordinary. T & H status appears to remain unchanged over last several days.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      @James69 I just started taking my first dose of prednisone yesterday, 40mg for 5 days.. I think ill press the doc for another 3 days worth of it to taper off to 30mg on day 6, 20 on day 7 and 10 on day 8.
      How are you doing now with your T and H after prednisone?

18. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Second dose of Prednisone today. I didnt wake up with loud tinnitus last night, but have a full feeling in my left ear, like cotton being in there, and a hissssss now in both earth. Is it the prednisone or the HBO? who knows. I cancewlled my HBO therapy today and i'll continue trying the prednisone.

19. James69

James69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      @Ecip - My H still appears to be slightly better. The T is still present, but I *may* just be getting used to it more. I don't know if 45 days is anywhere long enough into this condition to even remotely claim to be on the path to habituation. I cannot prove that the Prednisone helped me, but there appears to be a chance it did some good. I have been off work for all this time, and am scheduled to go back very soon. I am hoping and praying that I can adjust to a louder work environment. It is a public place and can become rather loud, but it is not a factory, so the noise is not deafening.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've also decided to take the week off. I couldn't handle the noise right now. I figured the break will do the ears some good.
      I was at my dad's today, he has a condo on the top floor facing a busy street. Wow it was nice, drowned out the tinnitus. I told him to live at my house for a week cause it too quiet and I'll live there for a while lol.

21. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Another update, day 3 on prednisone. Had an ok sleep, the tinnitus remained at around 1 to 2 out of 10 all night. It's quite manageable like this. I hope the improvements continue. ENT appointment scheduled for Friday (finally).
      Maybe the prednisone is doing some good after all?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure I'd this is too late to say but avoid presidone/steroids my ENT gave it to me during the onset of my T and it did nothing but worsen my T and cause me to go to the ER, the withdrawal is awful. And it all started with the full feeling in the ear. Be careful.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I must also say that everyones body handles meds differently, all I'm saying is if you feel the full ear feeling be aware.

24. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't have that full feeling anymore. It subsided yesterday morning. The loudness of my T has decreased thus far also, and what I interpret as being hyperacusis has also subsided in my left ear. So far so good.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Little bit of a set back... Left ear is ringing. Not sure if I can sleep like that tonight. Two steps forward, one step back, eh?

26. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right ear ringing, left ear settled down. Unable to sleep, probably due to side effect of prednisone? Thinking of stopping until I see the ENT this friday just so I can get some damn sleep.

27. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Insomnia is side effect of corticosteroids but don't stop.
      Perhaps is the only drug that can cure T.
      Don't stop.

28. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worst case I missed one dose.. I'll be seeing the ENT today and I'll see what he has to say. If he suggests I'll continue i will, I just don't know how I'll sleep.

29. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Take sleeping pills for 2-3 days.
      Don't stop because there is danger for rebount worst T.
      Don't stop

30. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am on Prednisone as well and have struggled with sleep. The good news is, if you take your dose early in the morning with food, the effects of the steroids should wear out after 12 hours. I find it's more like 9-10 hours with me. That means when I take my steroids at 7 a.m., by about 5 p.m. the possible stimulant effects are gone.

• Helpful Helpful x 1