Strong Tinnitus After 1 Month + Sleep Deprivation

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by marko1103, Jul 4, 2019.

1. marko1103
      No Mood

marko1103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Start
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My story:

Few weeks ago I lived couple od days under big stress, I slept really bad those few days and my head muslcles hurt on touch because of the stress I put on them.

Then few days after that stressful period I woke up… and one day it was just slight hissing which I could barely hear but it was there. I said to myself, OK, it will go away. The day after hissing still there but a bit higher volume. And it took few days until it really started to ring and it would get higher and higher.

I panicked. Was a few days after onset and I visited ENT, hearing test (up to 8kHz) OK and the guy asked me whether I have been listening to loud music. I said yes of course, I mean I am playing drums and I used to listen to absurdly loud volumes music when I was younger. People would turn around because the music from my headphones was so loud.

But I told him also that I was under really big stress, my head muscles hurt and that I think that's the reason. Anyway he prescribed me 8 day Prednisolone.

Oh boy, first I though great there is something which will help me and then the first day, 100 mg dose.
      Next few days waking up during nights, sweaty, anxiety as well as tinnitus.
      In the end it took me a few days to recover but I was still using this medicine.

Unfortunately at that time I did not know what I was taking. The tinnitus went down in volume but never went away.

I stopped taking Prednisolone but after 11 days since on day 9 my ENT said "oh it lowered down tinnitus, then continue using it". On 11th day after I realized what exactly Prednisolone is and that I had all possible side effect I stopped since I was on lowest dose prescribed from 8 days treatment. As said I was under panic and took which was given for me since I though there is some cure. In the end ENT sent me to Prednisolone infusions since tinnitus stuck on which I never left...

Now 3.5 weeks after Predinisolone volume went quite much higher but the sound also changed couple of times.

My biggest problem is sleep deprivation I was on low dose of Diazepam (2 or 5mg only for sleeping) for almost 4 weeks on and off but had to stop since its addictive medicine (didn't took it during the day) and I think it didn't helped my sleeping or if did it did a bit.

Visited also psychiatrist who prescribed me Pregabalin in case I have anxiety and low dosage Mirtazapine (7.5mg - 15 mg) for sleeping. However after reading this forum I found that both drugs to be ototoxic and bad for tinnitus. Thus I never took any of those pills.

I can live through the day with tinnitus, today is pretty bad day to be honest. Maybe because I started Vitamin D...

The volume is 9.5/10. Audible over everything.

The sound… high pitched dentist drill, its not single frequency for sure… It's stronger on right than on left but sometimes in both sides equal.

Sleep... when I go to sleep I sleep 1 hour, wake up, tinnitus screaming, fall asleep, 1 and a half hour or less and wake up to again screaming tinnitus. Maybe overall I sleep 3-5 or so hours when I am lucky but that's combined. I think, but I am not sure, that when the volume increases it wakes me up.

I usually see pretty well but sleep deprivation and irregular sleep cycles make me dizzy whole day. I can feel I am tired.

I started with natural pills containing Valerian root but I don't give them big chances.
      I feel at least having 4 hours without waking up would be success...
      I am still not sure is that because of Diazepam, it was small dose and short period, or Prednisolone still has an effect.
      At the moment writing this its 3PM here and I feel so tired. Since starting Prednisolone treatment I haven't slept well.

I will also become a dad in 6 months or so, and now when my family needs me the most that I am only thinking about tinnitus and feeling low because of sleep deprivation.
      Also working sleep deprived is hard… I find difficult to write this post also especially looking at the monitors…
      And I am working remotely in IT so yes, you guessed it I need headphones in order to work :/

I regret taking Prednisolone since it screw my body however I don't know to which level would Tinnitus without Prednisolone go since I took it more or less from onset or did it make tinnitus worse.

Anyone has an idea how to make sleep better? Anyone been in this situation?
      I am so tempted taking Mirtazapine...

I don't know how I will overcome this. My whole head is being drilled at the moment.

Much love from ringing Vienna!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @marko1103

Exposure to loud sounds/noise is the most common cause of tinnitus. Typically, it is listening to music through the headphones at too high a volume and for long duration. This is closely followed by playing music in a band, going to clubs and concerts were loud sounds are often present.

The onset of tinnitus often causes a stress so it's not surprising that you feel the way you do. If you are still using headphones I advise you to stop. Don't even listen to them at low volume. I also advise stop playing the drums. It is best to talk to your doctor about your sleep deprivation, and hopefully something can be prescribed to help you sleep better.

Based on many years experience with tinnitus and corresponding with people having this condition, I believe your tinnitus, was caused by exposure to loud sounds and not "stress" It is a combination of listening to music through headphones at too high volume, playing drums. Stress as I have previously mentioned, will make tinnitus more problematic but things will improve as time passes.

Please click on the links below and read my posts that I think you will find helpful.

Talk to your doctor.
      All the best

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      marko1103
      No Mood

marko1103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Start
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Michael,

Thank you for answering.
      Yes, you are right it was probably sound exposure I am well aware of that since I used to have those "goes the next day" tinnitus before altough this one today is quite different in sound.
      I assume sooner or later tinnitus would appear with or without stress.

Regarding sleep deprivation the only option I have is Mirtazapine which I was afraid to take since although have seen couple forum members taking it for sleep.
      Unfortunatelly I dont have many options left since I am already walking dead so I'll have to go with it. My biggest fear is interaction of a drug with tinnitus.
      Will try 7.5 mg dose today probably.
      Pscyhiatrician who prescribed me however said that I can't take it evey night, maybe every 3rd since otherwise will act as anti-depressant.

4. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Mirtazapine is very special medication. It is an excellent sleeping pill, sometimes 3.75mg is sufficient.
      It is not considered ototoxic. It should not be addictive.
      But it has two special side effects.
      a) It makes unusually vivid dreams.
      And, more important:
      b) Very many people experience a significant weight gain in continuous use. The exact cause is unclear.

If you have a slight obesity problem, I advise against it.
      If not, it is worth a try in any case, because bad sleep makes tinnitus more difficult to tolerate.

Greetings from Germany to Austria

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      marko1103
      No Mood

marko1103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Start
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks... Well... I dont plan to use it constantly but now and then. I am 187cm and 71kg. I lost few kg since tinnitus onset anyway and I was always underweight.
      So far sleep has no effect on my tinnitus. Was quite good last few days but my eyes havent seen rest more then 3 hours in a row and that is my biggest problem atm since its interfering my daily activities so I hope having 8 hours sleep at least now and then would give them much needed rest.

6. Roserosie

Roserosie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Marko how did you go on the Mirtz? I was told by my Dr that I cannot take it intermittently.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      marko1103
      No Mood

marko1103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Start
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I never took it in the end. After some time I guess I just got used to tinnitus and my sleep returned to normal

8. Angela2021

Angela2021 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-3-2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorial Sudden hearing loss
      I was reading your original question from last year. You mentioned low and high pitch will wake you up at night every couple hours. I wonder if you were able to sleep thought the low and high pitch notes after a while or they faded away?

• Good Question Good Question x 1