Tinnitus After Going to a Loud Club / COVID-19 Infection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nat-02, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Nat-02

Nat-02 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced/COVID-19
      Hello. I'm a 26-year-old female from Australia.

Please read this - I am trying to remain clam as I write this but I can't lie, I'm not doing well. I had to call the suicide hotline yesterday. I have been in a constant fight or flight state of anxiety and panic since this happened and I haven't been able to sleep without waking up in a panic and I haven't been eating much either.

As the title states, I have recently acquired tinnitus and possibly hyperacusis which has led me here.

I'll give a rundown of my situation.

In the past 6 months occasionally I would notice a ringing in my ears when I laid down in bed to sleep but it would fade out and it didn't bother me so I didn't think anything of it. I didn't even consider it being tinnitus.

About 2 weeks ago on the on the July 3rd of 2022 I went out for a night clubbing with some friends. We were all quite drunk and were dancing at the front of the dance floor very close to the speakers. It was LOUD, but I had been to clubs before -although not frequently. It wasn't anything out or the ordinary.

Fast forward to the morning after - my hearing was muffled and distorted. It felt like my ears were blocked and there was terrible high pitched ringing that wouldn't stop. So after some frantic Google searching I came to the conclusion that I was experiencing a Temporary Threshold Shift (TTS).

2 days later I tested positive for COVID-19 and possibly a strep throat infection which the doctor prescribed some antibiotics for as a precaution. Needless to say every day since then has been like a nightmare I can't wake up from.

Thankfully, the TTS was temporary - my hearing has returned to normal - by that I mean nothing sounds muffled and I don't seem to have any permanent hearing loss. As for the tinnitus - the high pitch ringing, as far as I can tell, is constant but I can't hear it unless I'm in complete silence.

But there is a new noise now - there is constant morse code like - faint metallic ring that seems to get worse when I hear certain noises. I did some searching and this is the best video there is to explain it - running water from tapes seems to trigger it like this for me too.

morse code tinnitus example

Noises seem louder too - like the buzz of the refrigerator - but I honestly can't tell if this is hyperacusis or just the result of my being in a dissociated hyper-aware state and listening for anything that sounds like the tinnitus.

I'm trying so hard to distract myself and ignore the noise but I just can't. I feel like I'm going insane. I read that you shouldn't use headphones or earbuds if your tinnitus was noise induced which is extremely distressing to me as I need to use headphones for my hobbies - I am a streamer and content creator on Twitch + listening to music while I exercise and go for jogs is what helps me clam down and cope with my existing depression and anxiety. I can't imagine my life not being able to do these things.

I feel like my life is over - I was already in a bad headspace before this - but things were starting to look up and now this has happened because I made a stupid decision one night. This is really pushing me over the edge. I don't know what to do. I feel so helpless and lost. I recently moved to a new area and don't have any close friends or a support network.

I have an appointment with my GP 4 days from now, though the healthcare system in my area is so bad it's a running joke. I don't think anything or anyone is going to help me. So here I am.

If anyone can offer some advice or encouragement I would appreciate it - I'm desperate and scared.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Lorca

Lorca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock
      Hi Nat, I’m so sorry you are going through this as well. I can almost guarantee things will get better in a few months. It will feel like a lifetime but you with adjust to this new normal or make a complete recovery.

When I first had my noise trauma, I didn’t eat or sleep for almost a month, worried my life was over and I would never feel normal again.

8 months on and my ears are still ringing alongside a few other symptoms but I’m almost back to my old life. I went to a concert with earplugs, see friends at bars, loud restaurants and use headphones sparingly at very low volumes.

I know how terrifying this all is and not many people can relate but we are here to hear you out. Just take it slow, and stop reading all the worst case situations within this forum. Take precautions and try and live normally. xx

• Like Like x 2
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Nat,

I am sorry to know about the difficulties you are having with tinnitus at the moment. Although it doesn't seem like it, noise induced tinnitus, which is what you have, does improve with time. For this to happen I advise that you follow some of my suggestions.

I realize that you want to listen to audio through headphones but strongly advise that you don't use them even at low volume as you risk making the tinnitus worse. The same applies to earbuds, AirPods, headsets, noise cancelling and bone conduction headphones.

Tinnitus can make a person feel stressful in the early stages, so your GP may advise that you take medication to help cope with this. Please do not be alarmed by taking the medication as it will help control your moods so you don't feel too down.

It can be difficult to distract yourself from the tinnitus but this will get easier with time. For now have some low level sound enrichment playing in the background during the day such as classical music or nature sounds. Keep the sound enrichment slightly below your tinnitus and don't try to cover up the tinnitus so it can't be heard. At night have place a sound machine by your bedside set to play throughout the night until morning. More about this is explained in my posts in the links below.

When you have the time, please go to started threads and read: How to Habituate to Tinnitus, The Habituation Process, Hyperacusis, As I See It, Tinnitus and the Negative Mindset, Acquiring a Positive Mindset, Will My Tinnitus Get Worse?

It does get easier, so try to not worry too much,

All the best,
      Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

• Like Like x 2
    4. Samwise_The_Loud
      Cloud9

Samwise_The_Loud Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Noise Exposure
      Hi @Nat-02, I just wanted to reach out because I know how difficult this time is for you. Know this, you are not alone. We are here to support and help you get through this.

I'm 25, so I know how it feels when this occurs early on in life. But things get better, trust me. I know it doesn't feel like that now. Give it time. Only a week ago I was worrying about my tinnitus but now it has gone down.

As hard as it is, for now, I would invest in some speakers for your PC instead of headphones and play sounds at a low volume. As for running, try it without headphones and see how you feel. Exercise is important, so keep doing it!

Going forward, and this is important, please rest your ears for the next couple of months and avoid any more clubs, concerts or very loud noises. I know it is hard, you may have turn down friends in the short term but trust me it is always worth it long term. Please also ensure you have good ear protection (ear plugs) which you can carry around with you at all times, just in case.

I know what you mean in terms of noises being louder, I experience this after a spike or after my first onset. I'm currently experiencing it now, I believe this is our nervous system(s) being very afraid and worried. If we look hard enough at everyday noises we will find a high-pitched noise. For instance, my laptop fan. From my experience, this always passes in time. Don't be afraid of everyday noises.

I will also refer to Michael Leigh's thread which is very helpful and is a must-read:

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

and

Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

The very good news is that you were resourceful and caught this early, talking about it and seeking support is a very important first step. Keep sharing! This way we can help. However, as @Lorca has said, please avoid reading too much into other people's tinnitus cases, even on this forum. Yours is unique to you. Try to distract yourself for now whilst following the advice I've referenced. The internet and forums (including this one) can be a rabbit hole at times.

Wishing you well,
      Sam

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. RAA

RAA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear this Nat. I would also reiterate what has been said above in regards to the initial stage and to try refrain from headphones etc. I am pretty sure now after 2 years my original cause was headphone overuse and had a terrible first 6-12 months dealing with what was like 7/8 of 10 loudness, causing lack of sleep/stress/suicidal thoughts. I personally decided against taking any benzo meds etc or exploring any kind of treatment or trying to breakdown the cause, and just through the passage of time, resting ears but definitely not over protecting and I am in a much better place now where I am like 90% of the time only hearing my tinnitus in very quiet places like at a tiny 1/10 level now.

Stay strong. Tinnitus Talk is a great place for tips on how to deal with tinnitus, but remember how crazy this condition is that some advice works well/while others doesn't, we are all very different - but take what you can from here that works for you. All the best!

• Like Like x 1
    6. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      Go to the ER and get some steroids.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nat-02

Nat-02 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced/COVID-19
      Can you elaborate some more? What will the steroids do? What type of steroids would I ask for?

8. Esra47
      Sad

Esra47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      Hi,

I have had tinnitus and hearing loss in the high frequencies for 7 weeks now. Tinnitus doesn't bother me at all. It's an electrical buzzing and not so loud so it doesn't affect my sleep. The main problem is the sound distortion and reactive tinnitus (or diplacusis). There is a beep riding on top of sounds like fan, voice etc.

I would suggest you to go to an ENT as soon as possible to check if you have hearing loss or not. Then I would start with steroids (Prednisolone) but please taper SLOWLY! I made a mistake and didn't taper and my symptoms are worse than before. I would also suggest you to check your blood and vitamin (like D, B, Magnesium etc).

Everyone told me that ears need a lot of time to recover. The only thing we can do is to hope and pray that we are one of the lucky ones whose tinnitus subside completely. Time is a great healer.

IMPORTANT: you are in the early phase, so do things what makes you happy and read success stories. Try to not focus on your tinnitus 24/7 (I know it's not easy!). Avoid stress!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Hi Michael.

I have read many of your responses. When you say no headphones, earbuds etc, where do hearing aids fit into this? Essentially they are in-ear speakers still?

Regards,
      Nick

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Nick,

I first want to say: my advice not to use any type of headphones even at low volume is meant for people that have noise induced tinnitus as there's a risk of making it worse. This is my advice but it's not absolute. Some people with noise induced tinnitus are able to use headphone without any adverse effects, however, many people do with this type of tinnitus.

When I was a support contact for a tinnitus organisation, I had many telephone conversations with people that have noise induced tinnitus asking for help. They had successfully habituated but after a while, usually a year or more later, noticed their tinnitus began to increase. A pattern began to emerge, for in the majority of cases the reason for the increase in tinnitus was caused by returning to using headphones even at low volume. Type headphones in the search box at the top of this page and read the posts.

White noise generators and hearing aids are not the same as headphones or earbuds. White noise generators and hearing aids don’t usually irritate the auditory system due to the volume being kept low and its frequency range remains constant, which is unlike music that is constantly changing in pitch rhythm and timber. In addition to this the sound through white noise generators and hearing aids is delivered through a small plastic tube that goes over the back of the ear and enters the entrance to the ear canal. At the end of the tube there is a tiny aperture/hole where sound emits. Therefore these devices are not speakers.

Headphones and earbuds use a large speaker/diaphragm in comparison. They make music by generating sound waves into the ear which can cause irritation.

All the best,
      Michael

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nat-02

Nat-02 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced/COVID-19
      This is exactly what I am experiencing! The tinnitus I think I could deal with but the sound distortions are what is really scaring me. I went to the ER yesterday and they gave me Diazepam for the anxiety and to help me sleep, which has calmed me down quite a lot. I'm seeing my doctor today and hopefully they can refer me to an ENT ASAP.

Thanks for the reply. Let's hope we can recover.

12. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      If it hasn't been too long yet, steroids mayyyy help but, to be honest, it's the nuclear option and you're gambling on getting worse using them.

That distortion you hear, beeping is a nerve firing when it shouldn't. Damaged basically. Steroids when you lose hearing is a very acceptable risk. IMO, if you go that route, ask for the correct amount of Dexamethasone compared to Prednisone (so as to not induce any hydrops) and taper VERY VERY slowly. You can easily get worse otherwise.

Nerves do heal very slowly and certain sodium blockers in a very low dose will probably make it go away. It will also go away on its own more than likely.

Time and quiet are your best friends. You'll likely make a recovery in several months or even a year out. Melatonin might also be helpful for sleep and the ringing.

If COVID-19 is partly to blame then taking some Quercetin or Betahistine may help if it was a blood clotting issue in your ears. They are harmless to give a go with.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response. I originally had unilateral tinnitus in May 2015. Then came balance problems a few months later. I was disappointed with labyrinthitis.

I have read many of your posts, advocating tried and tested methods and a patient approach and I thank you for the input on this site.

My tinnitus became bilateral and more severe in January, 5 days after recovering from a sore throat. Undeterred I carried on and at the end of January suffered a noise trauma at a gym class. I remember clearly shouting 'God that's loud' as the speakers came on in a virtual spin class. This made the tinnitus reactive beyond belief and from February to June I could not even listen to YouTube at low volume without my ear drums thumping and feeling uncomfortable. My loudness tolerance improved after 4 months, however the tinnitus still screams and hisses louder when the kettle or fan comes on.

My hearing is in the normal range in my left ear but severe hearing loss in my right (4000-8000 Hz 80-90 dB) at higher frequencies.

I have hearing aids but have them set low at 30-40% amplification. I have had little assistance from the NHS in its struggles. In fact the volume of my tinnitus decreases when I take them out at night.

I saw a private ENT who prescribed TRT/CBT however my GP looked blank as they knew it was not available in my area on the NHS.

I also use your method with Clonazepam. Again I had to obtain this online without a prescription as the GP was only willing to prescribe Diazepam.

I take 1.5-2 mg Diazepam at 5 pm each day and then stop every 7-10 days for 3 days, whilst I take 0.5 mg of Clonazepam. My thinking is it allows for both different drugs to have a short wash out period.

Finally Michael, what are your thoughts on current treatments in trial? It's something I rarely see you comment on. In particular your take on OTO-313 Phase 1/2 results?

14. Esra47
      Sad

Esra47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      I made the mistake and didn't taper properly (only tapered 3 days) and now my symptoms are like hell. I hope that these steroids didn't cause permanent damage.

15. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You go against your doctor's orders? You don't get a drug prescribed as you wish and you get it illegally somehow? Clonazepam is a controlled substance.

16. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I looked at the evidence and read the threads on here carefully before making my decision. I also saw it prescribed by a private ENT in London.

I use it very sparingly, similar to how Michael Leigh uses.

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Nick,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am sorry to know of the difficulties that you are going through with tinnitus. It is clear to see you must have been desperate for help otherwise you wouldn't have self medicated with Clonazepam even though your GP wouldn't prescribe it. I am not criticizing you because I understand the depth and length tinnitus can take a person to.

However, there is a right and a wrong way to do things. I don't know whereabouts you live in the UK but you are entitled to treatment for your tinnitus under the NHS and shouldn't have to seek help privately. You will get the best help and long term aftercare for tinnitus under the NHS that no private treatment in the UK can match.

I have been a tinnitus out-patient for 26 years and continue to have good treatment. I appreciate that treatment for tinnitus will not be the same at all NHS hospitals, but in most cases some form of help is usually provided. If TRT or CBT isn't available at your local hospital, if one is prepared to travel, a GP will often assist in referring their patient to another NHS trust for treatment.

Asking your GP for Clonazepam or any other medication or treatment is the wrong approach in my opinion. It is likely to rub the doctor up the wrong way, as it gives the impression you are a know-it-all and telling the doctor their job. I am sure you don't mean to come across this way but that's the way it looks. Therefore, you need to get your GP onside.

Make an appointment to see your GP. Explain how the tinnitus is making you feel and that you're desperate for some help. If you are having difficulty sleeping explain this and anything else that is relevant. Try to keep calm. During the conversation wait for the right moment and say the following words exactly as I am going to write them: "Doctor, I would like to make a request to be seen at ENT". Say them as calmly and politely as possible and try not to embellish. Don't mention TRT, CBT or tinnitus drug trials.

If the your GP tries to fob you off and won't refer you to ENT, then wait a few days and make another appointment and make another request to be referred to ENT. I doubt it it will come to that, as one request is usually enough. If your local hospital is unable to provide tinnitus treatment, you could ask your ENT doctor or Audiology department whether tinnitus treatment is available at another NHS hospital - if you are willing to travel you can mention this.

The thing you mustn't do is mention to your ENT doctor or audiologist that you want TRT or CBT, as this can come across as making demands. I find the softy, softly approach is better and you get a lot further. If you know the right way to talk to medical professionals, they are usually always willing to go that extra mile to help.

I accept whatever treatment is available for my tinnitus under the NHS, and tend not to read up or comment on tinnitus trials.

All the best,
      Michael

18. Ultra
      Depressed

Ultra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Technically, hearing aids do have speakers, otherwise they wouldn't be able to emit sound. Their acoustic/sound generating principle is the same as earbuds and regular headphones, except the speaker diameter is often the smallest of any type of headphones (and hearing aids ARE a type of headphones).

19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You can be as technical as you want. Hearing aids and white noise generators are not the same as headphones, earbuds, AirPods, noise cancelling and bone conduction headphones.

I have used white noise generators for over 20 years and continue to use them daily without any adverse effects. Headphones and earbuds are an entirely different technology. Since the cause of your tinnitus is unknown as mentioned on your profile, you are unlikely to know the risks someone takes using headphones or earbuds if they have noise induced tinnitus.

Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. Ultra
      Depressed

Ultra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Michael, while I'm sure you have good intentions, your comments on headphones that I keep seeing everywhere the word is mentioned border on religious fanaticism at times, without any technical or scientific basis whatsoever. I'm not a religious person, so I believe in science and proofs and rationality. You can slash it, dice it and mix it any way you want, hearing aids ARE headphones. They share ALL components of earbuds and closed/open headphones. The physical mechanisms are the SAME. In fact, with the exception of bone conduction headphones, regular headphones and earbuds AND hearing aids are nothing but tiny loudspeakers (the same that you will find on your stereo, your telephone, the massive ones in your film theater, the ear-exploding deafness-inducing in clubs, and even in future tinnitus therapeutic devices like the Susan Shore device) that you directly wear close or inside your ears, therefore avoiding spillage and having no acoustic interactions with the physical space the listener is sitting in.

An electric signal is amplified, which makes a physical membrane vibrate, which in turn makes the air vibrate at various frequencies, and these air vibrations are in turn translated by various components in your ear into electric signals. That's essentially it. There's no hidden magical variation of this principle in hearing aids. They receive electronic signals (from built-in microphones or a Bluetooth device), amplify them, then make a tiny membrane in their tiny speakers vibrate the air next to it and direct these sound waves towards your ear canal.

The only exception to this are bone conduction headphones which bypass the whole air vibrating aspect.

Now, if you want to argue that the loudness level in hearing aids is very small compared to earbuds/headphones/telephones/televisions/etc and thus less likely to inflict damage (although it's still entirely possible, just less likely), I'm all with you on this (and yes I've trialed hearing aids myself). But please do not revise centuries of science, technology and physics.

It's good to err on the side of cautiousness and avoid having any sound emitting devices too close to the ear, for too long (which is less misleading than singling out headphones, as a small loudspeaker in near proximity is just as capable of damage).

But even audiologists and tinnitus researchers and ENTs suffering from tinnitus themselves do not affirm with such absolute constant authority as you that "any headphones even at the lowest volume" will increase noise-induced (or otherwise) tinnitus. What they all agree on is that they should be used as little as possible, at the lowest volume* possible. If one wants to entirely avoid them, they can. But there is no such thing as zero-risk. You can avoid any form of headphones including hearing aids, only to severely worsen your tinnitus from your TV, a car honking in the street, or a kettle boiling.

* and "lowest volume" is where the problem is: Most people do not know what lowest volume mean, and are easily fooled by noisy surrounding backgrounds making them think that their headphones is at minimum level when it's actually blasting. The only sure way to know this is thru objective measurements between the sound source and the headphones. And the "lowest level" advice only holds if you're either using open headphones in very quiet surroundings, or very powerful noise-cancelling headphones in average noise environments.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ultra, I would have thought you got the message loud and clear in my reply to your post but clearly this is not the case. I visit this forum to help people having difficulty coping with tinnitus, primarily when it is noise induced with or without hyperacusis. My experience is based on 26 years living with the condition, counselling and corresponding with people affected by it.

I neither have the time nor the interest to argue with forum members in order to prove a point. This doesn't mean I am adverse to corresponding with someone that wishes to discuss something pertaining to tinnitus, for I am always willing to learn more. However, I do not pick-up these vibes from you as you clearly have an agenda, which isn't to engage in peaceful dialogue.

Please do not alert me again. However, if you have something to say that I deem of interest then I will reply.

I wish you well,
      Michael

22. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They should improve over time. It took about 6 months for mine to start becoming a bit better, than a year for more improvements. I don't expect them to all go away.

If it's Prednisone and you can tell the sounds change based on your head position (upside down), you might have some luck using a mild diuretic (don't use Lasix). Especially if you can tell you have low frequency hearing loss, it could have triggered more inflammation or hydrops.

Turmeric might help too.

23. Esra47
      Sad

Esra47 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      My tinnitus is the same. No changes but I developed morse code tinnitus which really reacts to every sound. When I was on Prednisolone it was not so bad. I‘ll definitely try Turmeric. What do you think about Carbamazepine? I don’t want to take it because of its side effects. I have hearing loss in the high frequencies.

24. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would strongly suggest if you're going to try random drugs, to keep the dose to half of what's suggested and to make sure its half life is pretty short.

So if it makes things worse, there's less chance of permanency.

Based on this, Oxcarbazepine is better.

I tried 100 mg Carbamazepine, and it didn't help, probably made the tones louder temporarily.

Morse code tinnitus went away with time mostly, or benzos.

• Like Like x 1
    25. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Perhaps give Taurine, NAC, Creatine, Magnesium and Pycnogenol a go. Protect your ears whenever outside in an environment you can't control. You never know when a driver is going to honk the horn or when someone is going to slam a door in your face...

Over time, your tinnitus may improve (by itself), but this will not happen with repeat noise exposure. Use earplugs and use them consistently.

A worthwhile read:

https://archive.nytimes.com/well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/12/01/when-everyday-noise-is-unbearable

• Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nat-02

Nat-02 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced/COVID-19
      Hi everyone, Thank you all so much for replying. It really helped me a lot! I appreciate it so much.

I thought I'd give an update on my situation. I'm happy to say I have improved!

After almost 2 weeks of no sleep and having to isolate because of COVID-19 I couldn't wait for my doctor appointment so I went to the ER where they checked my ears and didn't see anything wrong (expectedly).

But I was basically hysterical at that point so they gave me enough benzos to take for 5 days, which helped A LOT. My symptoms immediately improved even after taking just 1 tablet. Though I was still finding it difficult to sleep. They also referred me to an audiologist & suggested an MRI scan.

My doctor gave me Zopiclone and Melatonin to help sleep which worked initially.

After getting a week of solid sleep my symptoms improved even more. The typewriter/beeping tinnitus is gone completely. The sound distortions have also improved greatly. I believe the sound distortions are connected to hyperacusis. I definitely am still sensitive to loud noises and high pitch frequencies but it is manageable. I really think the noise sensitivity is connected to my anxiety levels.

After a week of working from home and staying in a quiet environment + using ambient noises, the tinnitus seemed as if it was almost gone. Unfortunately now that I've gone back into a noisy office environment, the high pitch ringing is back, though fortunately it is only noticeable in very quiet environments. I'm coping with it a lot better and trying to figure or what my triggers are.

I also suspect I may have a TMJ disorder as my teeth grinding and jaw clenching at night has got worse over the last few months and this situation has made me more aware of it. I think I had a lot of underlying issues which contributed to this. So I'm going to try addressing those things as well.

Luckily, I was able to get a hearing test with the audiologist very quickly. I don't have any hearing loss and their diagnosis was tonic tensor tympani syndrome. The audiologist also said it probably isn't worth seeing an ENT as there isn't much they could do (???)

Should I still see an ENT? I'm not sure how to proceed from here. At the moment I'm just trying to keep my anxiety under control and get enough sleep.

Thanks again for reading and replying. Any advice or information is much appreciated ♥️

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. TheCapybara
      Anime

TheCapybara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely headphone noise
      That's amazing Nat, you're recovering really quickly from this already! Can you listen to music and the TV normally without any frequency distortions and were there any before? And do you still notice the reactivity on most things?

I hope I can improve more over time as well. There isn't as much in metallic beeps like at the start but the reactive tones and distortions are still there. It's become more of a grindy whooshing noise.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nat-02

Nat-02 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced/COVID-19
      There was definitely frequency distortions with music and tv before + the reactive beeping/ringing metallic noises that came with a constant noise like running water or a fan.

There was definitely a few days where the reactivity and distortions were greatly improved and imo almost completely gone, or at least barely noticeable. At the moment I can listen to music and tv without much distortion but higher pitch tones still seem to sound too loud/metallic.

I've still got the classic constant high pitch ring though, which seems to get worse with loud noise exposure as it has gotten worse in the past week of being back in an office.

The noise distortions and sensitivity to sounds have also come back in the past few days which seems to directly correlate with having issues sleeping and general stress from work.

Maybe it's a coincidence? But seemingly all my symptoms improved when I was in a quiet environment with gentle white noise + sleeping properly and not being stressed.

Even though I've had a bit of a relapse in the past few days I'm staying positive and believing that things can improve again once I get my sleep and anxiety under control and addressing possible underlying issues.

I really hope that your condition can improve with time too, everyone is different. Stay positive!

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Hey, that all sounds amazing! Just saw your thread.

As someone who had a very similar experience to you at the same age, I want to save you some time on a few theories and also help you not worry too much about the future, which already seems like you're progressing with.

Your ears received an acoustic trauma from that night, as predicted it usually heals relatively quickly for someone young especially when its a once-off. It is normal that when we first hear the sound we freak out and read things like 'there is no cure', but it resolves for most people in that situation so don't get too deep in the internet whilst recovering.

Reading those things whilst experiencing the sound induces heavy anxiety, but as you saw, as soon as you took benzos, your reaction to the sound and likely obsessive nature to the sound and sound in general diminished, and you felt better. Which is great news as it proves that most of the problem is how YOU react to it, even if it has gone down since, this could be a good lesson in anxiety. You can learn from this experience if you ever have it again and apply this knowledge knowing that things will likely improve and just wait it out without going into a full blown panic.

We all like to think it may be related to TMJ or ETD but most likely it was a temporary assault on your ears that night so I'd advise not jumping too far down that rabbit hole about what the cause could be, it was straight up the speakers. The good news is that it's improved and will continue to. You won't have had any permanent hearing loss from that experience.

ENT won't be able to tell you anything more, most likely they'll upset you by saying 'sorry can't help'. MRIs and ENTs are mainly for non noise induced scenarios where they have to look for other causes.

After my incident, I had a career in music for 15 years and still do. So don't fear about the future. The number one thing is to rest ears as much as possible in the immediate future but continue to enjoy life. I don't want to jinx things, but I've been out with earplugs probably 2-3 times a week for the last 15 years. Sure mostly bars and not clubs, but that's a lot of times!

So, get some musician's ear plugs from your audiologist, the molded kind with 20 dB reduction or more - or just wear the heavy foam ones correctly. You will be able to go out and enjoy your time with friends again. It's super easy to get used to earplugs. In fact you start to be able to hear everything clearer. Also, I barely used headphones for a long time and everything was fine. There's a lot to enjoy in the world. Not saying you have to avoid but if you want to, it will be fine.

I do agree to maybe not let yourself get too deep in headphone world though. I was able to use headphones again for quite some time, but if you go for too long and let the volume creep up, it's easy to have a relapse. If you're a streamer or especially gamer pumping them all day, it could be part of the reason your ears were already sensitive, so don't push your luck and get too settled once everything is healed.

Good luck! Everything is going to be ok!

• Hug Hug x 1