Tinnitus and Buying a Car? What Do I Need to Consider?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi all

I have recently passed my test and was wondering if I can buy whichever car I feel is right for me or do I need to take my tinnitus into consideration?

I can't find anything online about driving a car making tinnitus worse.

Just wondering if tinnitus needs to be taken into consideration?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      don't get a race car or big truck with a loud exhaust. that's all I can think.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Sarah200

Buy a car that you like and try to forget about it affecting your tinnitus because it won't. It is negative thinking and reading posts that put a lot of emphasis on sound that can make your condition worse. Congratulations on passing your test and wish you many years of enjoyable driving.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold

Thanks Michael, I found a few Hondas that I like but the automatic can be noisy when going at high speeds on the motorway but I love the car so just wanted check this won't cause a problem so am glad it's not going to.

Thank you.

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Sarah200

I have driven automatics and manuals and never had a problem with their sound. If the cars you are trying are overly noisy, this could indicate a problem with the automatic gearbox? Just passing your test, I understand you might not want to get a brand new or too newish a car as you need to gain experience on the road. Similarly, you don't want anything too old. Try Toyota they are very good and reliable. I've only bought Toyotas and never had 1 day's trouble with them. I now drive a Lexus, made by Toyota.

Best of luck
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks, I learned in my friend's Lexus NX, which was so comfy and quiet, but a bit too expensive for me, my budget is £28K for a new or nearly new car as before my dad passed he left me some money so I'm using every penny to buy my first car.

I like the Toyota C-HR, I like how funky looking it is, the other cars on my list are the Honda HRV and Volvo XC40. My dream car is a Lexus NX or RX but I'll have to wait till I get higher up the pay zone in my career.

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Very nice @Sarah200 very nice indeed. Once I had a test drive of the Lexus GS 300h (hybrid) I had to buy it. Lexus are sheer luxury. It was expensive but thoroughly worth it. You're brave to want such a high-end car and only recently passed your test. When I passed my test many moons ago, I was advised by friends and relatives to get something not too new just a run-around to gain experience. It was a 10 year old Toyota Corolla. Kept it for 18 months then bought a new Corolla and the rest is history.

Please let me know what you eventually buy.
      All the best

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    8. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Can't go wrong with Toyota or Honda as far as customer satisfaction. The Volvo used to have that reputation, but no longer.

One transmission over the other shouldn't be a noise factor. However, road noise is. The less expensive the car is the less insulation and sound suppression there is. I don't know what the pavement is like in UK, but in the US some pavement is concrete and smoother. Some pavement is composed of some large rock and asphalt. Though the latter will seem quite smooth in larger heavier vehicles like SUVs and trucks, not so in little compacts.

After a long trip in my truck my ears are better off than if I take my wife's sub-compact.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I've just decided what to do after looking on Lexus's website. There is a new SUV coming out in March 2019, their first compact SUV to rival the Toyota C-HR and the Volvo XC40. It's called the UX, so since it will be similar in price I'm waiting for that to come out next year and test drive one (although the Lexus will probably win as I LOVED :love: my friend's Lexus NX) early reviews have said it's quite and extremely comfy like all Lexus which is good and I know I will be having a very reliable car. My grandpa has a Lexus and his is over 10 years old and has hardly had any issues.

Here is the new UX https://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/ux/#hero

I think it's better to wait for the new UX to come out before deciding as I won't need to buy a car anyway until I have finished university which will be next September so the UX will be out by then.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Just don't buy something that's obnoxiously loud like a race car with a loud surround speaker system. Make sure the breaks are in good condition and not making that awful squeaky noise. This is typical for older vehicles, but some newer vehicles also suffer from noisy breaks, even though they have shims to dampen vibrations.

Good luck with your purchase and drive defensively.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Don't be this guy. :D Steven Seagal!

teaserbox_935425191.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Let me know when you get the Lexus @Sarah200 as I'd like to take it for a spin...lol . I am thoroughly pleased with my Lexus. You have made a good choice.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi Michael, unfortunately I'm not getting a Lexus now as I have been in contact with Lexus to ask if they can give me a rough idea of how much it will be on sale for, they said there's no exact price yet but the UX is expected to go on sale for a basic model anywhere in the £29k-£30k mark which is a little over my budget.

Today I went to my local Fords of Winsford dealer and tried a few different cars out and the car that suited me the most and ticked all my boxes was the Kia Niro, it's a hybrid, and I can buy a new one as it's within budget so I went down with my mom to my local Kia and I have ordered a new Kia Niro.

I have ordered the "3" trim Niro that has heated seats\steering wheel.

It's very comfy just can't wait to pick it up, I have ordered it to be in white too, it's automatic and I found it very quiet.

In total it cost me £26k and I had £2k left of my budget so I also got my first three services included with their high mileage plan, first one is due at 20,000 miles, Kia have a 7 years warranty which gives me a good peace of mind.

As it's cheaper in running costs it meant I can afford to drive it now and that's why I brought now rather than waiting till I graduated as its running costs are pretty low (I did several insurance quotes before buying to see how much it was to insure, I also checked road tax, tyre cost etc...) so I know I can afford it until I start my job next year as I had amazing news this morning.

I had a call from the clinic I did my last work placement at before we broke up for summer and they said they're going to be recruiting two physiotherapists next year and have offered me one of the places if I want it on the condition that I achieve a 1st or 2:1 in physiotherapy. I have said yes so am over the moon as I hopefully will already have a job in place for when I graduate next year.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Sarah200

I think you have done the right thing and bought a car within your budget. Lexus are very good cars but expensive to buy and maintain and it's not worth over stretching yourself financially.

Best of luck with your new car.
      Michael

16. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Have to agree about Toyota. We are on our 3rd Toyota Yaris. The current one is 2012 the othere 2005 and 2001. All have been very reliable, Regards Phil

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Phil-O

A mechanic once told me that he doesn't see Toyota cars in his shop for repair. They just keep going he said. The following are his words and the absolute truth. "We see BMW, Mercedes, Audi and other makes but not Toyota. My Corolla lasted 11 years bought it from new and not one day's trouble. I bought my Lexus to replace it as I wanted a change and believe I've made a good choice as it's also made by Toyota.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    18. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Get those cute cars with the press button to start! lol

• Like Like x 1
    19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Mine has it and a lot more bells and whistles....

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi all.

Well the Niro was a disaster, I picked up up a week ago (I brought a showroom one but waited till it had been cleaned and given the once over to check everything was good before collection) however everything was ok, but I noticed it was rather noisy, a lot of tyre noise and wind noise on country roads and I drive on a lot of country roads.

I just ignored it at first but then at day 3 I had gotten a tinnitus spike after listening to this road noise for 3 days so then became concerned about my tinnitus.

Then on day 4 I went to my work placement which means a 1 hour drive to get there, when I got there my tinnitus was louder and I was so stiff and in pain in my back and I struggled to get through that day of work and the head physiotherapist who is responsible for my work placement there told me to go home as he could see I was in pain but I dreaded going back in the car.

By day 5 I decided the best thing was to take it back and the Kia dealers understood that it's only due to medical reasons why it's not suitable so they gave me a full refund and the salesman said even though I should be trying to get you to buy another Kia he said he would advise with your issues to try either Lexus or Volvo as they're super quite and extremely comfy.

I then decided to look at the Volvo XC40 as Lexus are still just out of budget.

I test drove the XC40 and did find it way more comfortable and quiet but decided that I was not going to spend anymore money on a car without trying it out longer so I have rented the XC40 for two weeks to see what it's like before buying.

I'm only on day 4 but it's definitely so far quieter and more comy and I have driven twice to my work placement and had no issues with noise or stiffness and no more spikes. Thank goodness.

At motorway speeds I hardly hear any noise at all it's so relaxing to drive.

The only thing I'm unsure about is if I should buy it as I'm not sure how reliable Volvo are?

As TEX said above they are not know for reliability anymore which worries me.

But other than that worry I would definitely buy it as it's way better than the Niro.