Very Loud Tinnitus Caused by a Loud Bang When a Coworker Dropped a Metallic Tool

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Boni, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Boni

Boni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Potential acoustic trauma.
      This is day 4 of having this annoying high frequency hissing/beeping sound in my ear. I suspect it was caused by a loud bang at work when a coworker dropped a metallic tool.

I'm really devastated by this. I wasn't even able to sleep the first day I got it. And it seems to have gotten louder. I booked an appointment with my GP which is scheduled for next week. I really hope it's something that gets better. I really can't take this anymore.

What are my options? Is there anything that reduces this?
      Does getting your ear wax removed help?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Some people on the forum would recomend steroids, prednisone (spelling) soon after after an acoustic trauma. That might mean going to the emergency room, or rescheduling your appointment for sooner. Alternatively, take magnesium, b vitamins, and some zinc. Avoid noise, let your ears heal. Stay cool, you should heal up... but it may take some time. If work is noisy... get hearing protection...

Best of luck... be strong...

Tell your GP.. it's an emergency... you had an acoustic trauma... I don't think it's a wax issue because you mentioned it was noise induced.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Boni

Boni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I appreciate your advice Daniel. I will go to an urgent care today. Hopefully its not too late. I'm really trying to be strong atleast for my family. Its hard but its something i have to do.
      Things havent been the same.

• Hug Hug x 3
    4. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      So sorry that you are dealing with this, @Boni. It really can be difficult. @Daniel Lion has given you some solid advice. Do be sure to update us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure and excessive ear irrigation
      No matter what you do, do not attempt to remove ear wax with water. I know a lot of people have performed this procedure with no issues but I know myself and other members in this forum has worsen their tinnitus by doing that. IMO, it’s a risky procedure when you have tinnitus but it’s ok when you don’t have it.

Since you are new to this, it will be a shock to you but believe me, it will get better. Our ears are very sensitive and it takes a long time to heal. Protect your ears from now on by minimizing exposure to things like loud music.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Boni

Boni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Went to urgent care earlier today. The doctor confirmed it was tinnitus and prescribed methylprednisolone. Anyone know how these tablets work?
      How long will it take to atleast fade?

Thanks all for the kind words. They mean so much at this time.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Boni

Boni Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the heads up. I will avoid that.
      Please let me know anything else that might help.

8. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Thank-you for the update, @Boni. I am not much help when it comes to the medication that you were prescribed. Hopefully someone with experience with the med will chime in.

I do believe that given time, your volume will fade. No one really knows how long this may take, unfortunately. Like @winstona advised, do protect your ears. Try not to read too many negative posts, there are many positive stories here on the forum, they will make you feel much less anxious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Boni I'm sorry you had that noise and then T came about. I think the prednisone is a good thing to take in the early days. I took a form of it on a 10 day treatment with 5 day taper.

You might check the story of @Emperor-Drax . He banged a metallic garage door with a mallet and T flared up, and then I think about 6-8 months later it disappeared. Keep up the hope! :)

• Like Like x 1
    10. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      That drug is an anti-inflammatory. The duration for it to fade can be days to months, or in some cases over a year. Most important to protect from further injury at this point, so hearing protection for any exposures >80 db, or reasonable expectation that this type of loudness may occur. Intermittent noise exposure can be among the most challenging as it is hard to know if to protect, and then the loudness can be so sudden that the ear is not ready for it, and it does the most damage.

Feel better soon!

11. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Looking back, it seems like something a clown would do!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1