Why Do Pulsatile Tinnitus & Hyperacusis Get Worse as the Day Goes On?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lost life, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Lost life
      Alone

Lost life Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3-17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo w/d noise/trauma ,stress,tmj,hearing loss
      My pulsatile tinnitus and hyperacusis get worse as the day goes on, just wanted to know if anybody had any ideas on this?

2. DirM
      Pensive

DirM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/TMD
      You have about 5 causes listed, but if it is TMJ related (like me), when you sleep your jaw relaxes, so loosens the ligaments and joints. As you go through the day your jaw is in constant use to talk, eat, emote (clenching when anxious or angry, and other facial expressions). Your jaw even moves when you swallow. As the day goes on it gets tired, like any other joint, and T will go up.

Then you go to sleep and it relaxes and rests, and the cycle starts over.

3. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      It's general wear and tear over the course of the day. Caffeine, sodium, stress, etc. all make it worse.

You really have to be super conscientious about diet, exercise, and stress to help keep it in check until the find the cause of it or it resolves itself - and yes it can resolve itself. I'm great from when I wake up until about 3pm, at first it's quiet enough that if it's all it was I wouldn't even bother seeing doctors. 3pm is picks up a bit, but still not bad. 8 pm on is when it's usually worst. Just in time for going to bed, yay me. So I take 200mg chelated magnesium and 1mcg time release melatonin to help sleep and it works.

Sitting and laying down for me makes it worse because I likely have MCS - microvascular compression syndrome. Same with being in quiet places. A little noise as a distraction is actually good for you so just leave the stereo or TV on low even when you sleep.

And the better you do on diet, exercise, stress management the less intrusive your PT will be.

4. Linda Kaye

Linda Kaye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My pulsatile tennitus get worse, especially at bedtime. It has reached the point that I dread going to bed because of it. That makes me tense, which just makes the pulsations more pronounced.

Strangely enough, my tennitus is much worse at home than when I am staying in a hotel. Again, I think stress is the culprit.

My ENT says I have a condition called Hydrops. Strange name! I'm taking a medication for it and following a low sodium diet with little improvement. Does anyone else have Hydrops? I'd like to hear from you.