1 Month+ with Mr.T

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Polar-Bear, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Polar-Bear

Polar-Bear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Hi everyone. I was reading your posts and now I can see I am not alone in this.
      On Sept 24th of this year I went to bed and noticed that both my ears were roaring. A few hours earlier I had just come home from swimming. My place is mostly loud due to an old fridge so I didn't notice anything, or I wasn't paying attention.
      Two days later I came down with a very bad cold and associated my condition to the flu. Flu has been gone.
      Sleeping time is the worst for me and during the day Mr.T is in my thoughts almost always except for work, where I'm thankful for this constant hum of the loud ventilation system which masks Mr.T for the most part. I also have hyperacusis in my left ear which makes things sound like they are under water and extremely loud.
      The mental agony is the worst and for the first time living just didn't seem that interesting for me, which dropped me into a pretty bad depression. Trying to climb out of it right now.
      I found out I was also not alone in this and that my Dad has had it as well for almost 10 years and I didn't even know. I will be visiting him this weekend so we can have a heart to heart conversation.

2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Hey there PB, good to meet you . I hope your Dad is able to help in dealing with Mr T , Dads can be awesome. Let us know how it goes.
      DD

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Polar-Bear

Polar-Bear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Thanks DD. I had a good meeting with my Dad, but our mental attitudes are different. He has always been easy going, where I find myself more stressed and easy to be bothered by things. His suggestion was just to ignore it like he does, but I'm sure I will get to that point, but it being almost 2 months it is way to fresh in my mind still. It was nice to talk to someone face to face about it though and have them understand what hardship this can invoke. Some days I find that I can live with this no problem, but then the next day or even a few hours later I think how will I ever cope.
      The mental battle wages on :banghead:

4. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Another way to look at that is that he's learnt to be easy going; you're looking at a man with many more years of life experience behind him. You seem to have an upbeat attitude though, and I believe this will be your biggest strength in coping. Mind your head on that wall (that emoticon made me smile)!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Polar-Bear

Polar-Bear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Well I got my ears checked today to see if my T was due to hearing loss. My left ear, which my T is the worst has a normal hearing profile and my right ear with a lower volume T has a 1KHz hearing loss. The weird thing was the lady who was doing the test has T going on 4 months and her father who runs the clinic has T as well. Feels like everyone has it.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Polar-Bear

Polar-Bear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      My Doctor asked me to bring in my hearing results so he could go over it with me. I was only tested up to 6kHz, would that be normal? I was reading that people with tinnitus tend to loose hearing in the upper higher frequencies 8kHz and up?
      The way the profile came out, he thinks that I've got a middle ear infection that could take months for it to go away, but some how it doesn't feel right. My ET always feel full in the morning and it takes about 15-30 minutes for them to drain.
      I asked if I could be referred to an ENT again and apparently ENT's here in Canada don't want to see patients that have T, so doctors have been asked not to refer any more. Now isn't that a big tub of #$%^!!!
      My doctor was sympathetic though as I found out he is a T sufferer as well, so he was giving me advice on how he copes with it.
      They really need to find a cure for this, because I can't help but notice now when I'm out in town that all the young teenagers all have ear-buds in there ears listening to music. Give it another 10 years and we are going to have an explosion of new T patients.