11 Years of Constant Sound...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JennyS, Dec 19, 2015.

1. JennyS
      Breezy

JennyS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noises/earphones
      Hi there,
      It is so helpful to read about your struggles so I am not feeling so alone. It is also nice to read that some are getting on so well to remember there are times I can set the sounds aside and enjoy the moments despite them. I have lived with the ringing, high pitches and stop you in your tracks screeching sounds for over ten years. It gets worse and levels out, and gets worse and levels out but it is never gone. It affects my sleep, my work and my enjoyment of peaceful and productive moments. I think overall I have learned to cope pretty well, I just wish my family would accommodate my condition more. Two boys and husband who are by nature as loud as can be, blaring TV, loud music, booming voices... it literally can hurt my ears at times and I know it makes it worse but they just don't get it or consider it. ... So I just wanted a place to feel understood, help others and get informed. Good luck to us all in managing this condition!

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

One of the worst things about this horrible disorder is the fact that family and friends are unable to relate. The experience has definitely made me more sympathetic to the maladies that others are going through.

Here's hoping things improve for you soon. :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. ElaineL

ElaineL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Hi, jennyS,
      Thank you for your message of hope. Although you have had tinnitus for 11 years you are still looking at the positive and enjoying your life. I am new at this and am feeling very overwhelmed and anxious. The beautiful message I get from your post is to enjoy my blessing - I have many blessings.

THanks for your post.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @JennyS . Hi Jenny it's tough living with tinnitus no doubt about that it's also frustrating when family and friends don't seem to acknowledge what you are going through.I find the only people who understand what you are going through are the ones who have tinnitus themselves. Please stay strong we are all in this together and this forum is the best thing I've found it helps me by chatting to others who are in the same boat as me. Wish you well.

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JennyS
      Breezy

JennyS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noises/earphones
      Thanks so much for posting, @ElaineL @Zorro! @Richard zurowski. I didn't realize how alone I really felt in this until I found this forum.

I realized soon enough I had two choices, go crazy or be grateful it is something I can adapt to and live with. I just let the sadness of knowing I will never experience silence come and then it usually will pass a few moments later.

@ElaineL, my best advice is when it gets overwhelming just move on to something else, it is your unwelcome companion for likely a long time so just acknowledge it and keep going on. When my mind isn't focused on it I am managing it. Hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
    6. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      Wow, I can't tell you how much I admire your courage!! I'm new here, and I only have mild tinnitus for two weeks and already going crazy and getting depressed. But people like you make me realise that I'm not alone. I can't tell you how tough and brave you are who have been living with this disorder for 11 years!! I hope you get better, and don't worry. A cure will be found soon. It's not that far away. Just hang on. If you can do this, I can do this!

7. Asvalian
      Chatty

Asvalian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      25/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at the moment, prob hearing lost/stress.
      You are a really strong person! wow, I hope one day I might be able to cope just like you do.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JennyS
      Breezy

JennyS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noises/earphones
      I guess it has been so long since the ringing started I forget how sad I was that this is just how life would be. @Asvalian I really don't consider myself strong, just protecting my sanity. I remember being scared of the noise and never experiencing silence again. It was depressing. It still is, but it doesn't scare me anymore. I have accepted it as annoying part of my life and only my reaction to it can be adjusted.

To anyone who is reconciling this new world and missing the silence I just want you to know you will be okay especially as you acknowledge and accept it and keep moving. Don't dwell on it, there is something good that deserves your attention more than this.

• Like Like x 1
    9. STi

STi Member

I only had it since thanksgiving...But I realize it''s probably not going to go away and I already knew nothing can really be done about. ..So I just block it out like you and just go about things normal...but like you my son and wife can be very loud and I just feel like getting away....I know some people like background noise to mask it but I prefer peace and quiet.....We are ringing with you! Btw...Welcome to the forum. :)

• Like Like x 1
    10. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hello @JennyS

I agree with @Asvalian. You are a strong person. Eleven years. So many comments people make in here - like yours, I can relate too. Thought I was doing ok, until a night out seemed to do me in. One day my energy is up, today I'm suffering from my T, seems like a relapse.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JennyS
      Breezy

JennyS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noises/earphones
      Hey, thanks @James for saying so. I am always quick to dismiss positive feedback but I guess I need to give myself some credit that I give this condition so little room in my life my family doesn't even remember I have it...until it gets louder. I am going through a rough patch too right now. Every time I get a cold or sinus infection it gets pretty bad and high pitched so I start feeling sorry for myself . It is always upsetting to have it so loud again. Given my history I will acclimate too it in a few months so I keep that in my back pocket and stream a lot of music at work :)

@STi you seem a lot like me, I knew the damage was done and accepted it pretty quickly...thanks for the welcome!

12. Anette

Anette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mm/yyy.e.g. 2013
      Hi, I'm Anette, and it seems to my I have never been free fom tinnitis! I am so glad I found this site! Don't feel so alone anymore!

• Like Like x 1