12 Weeks In — No Clear Cause

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by boliston, Jul 22, 2019.

1. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hi - First post here, have been following this forum for a few weeks now so just really an intro post.

First noticed tinnitus 30th April, the day after a long haul flight from Canada - I had a sinus problem a couple of years ago which gave me a problem on a short haul flight and I fainted after getting bad sinus pain (panicked as not sure what it was) - I have not been able to smell anything for a couple of years (no effect on taste luckily) and the only time my smell came back was after a short fever about a year ago (it only lasted a week then went again).

Anyway my tinnitus initially only lasted 3 days then went totally for another 5 days but annoying came back - it has only stopped on rare occasions, once on my Birthday (9th June) and a few days during my week off in June.

I'm worried it set back my recovery by going to a one day music festival at the end of June, even though I was a long way from the stage at all times (the back bit where people set up deck chairs, rugs, picnics and mini tents rather than standing) and I had my eardial ear plugs in the whole time.

The day after the festival my tinnitus went away again but not really any other tinnitus free days since then. At the moment it seems fairly quiet if there is no ambient noise, but things like the washing machine make it get louder as it 'reacts' to noise although this 'reactivity' varies a lot - today i was in a shop and the 'hiss' affect from the aircon did not seem so bad, but yesterday I had a bit of a spike and the effect of the aircon noise was very bad - I tried valerian for a few days last week (as a sleep aid) but stopped as it gave me anxiety the next day - I think I was having a bit of a 'rebound' spike from coming off the valerian.

One last thing is that I saw my doctor at the 4 week point and they prescribed beconase to help my sinuses - this made my sense of smell come back for about a week then it went - I have since moved to 'sinuforce' natural nasal spray and this has brought my sense of smell back again, so I'm hoping the sinus issues might be being helped.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Other then the music festival, May I ask if you have a history of over-exposure to loud noise?

Noise damage is most common reason people get tinnitus and hearing problems.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hi Contrast - I have mainly had a dislike of excessive noise, and have preferred quiet to noise - I have been to a handful of concerts in my life but have always tried to find the quietest spots. If I listen to music at home it's always quiet. I have never liked listening to music 'on the go' like you see almost everyone doing these days.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      We'll I kind of get the idea that a music festival is loud.

If you believe your tinnitus is not noise related, check with a doctor about medications that may be ototoxic or any other health problems, and see what options you have.