2 Months In with Tinnitus — Some Advice for New (or Old) Sufferers

Discussion in 'Support' started by Edub, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Edub

Edub Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a few different things
      Hey guys,

I'm about two months in and would like to offer some advice and encouragement.

It started in early April with crickets in my left ear, with a slight hiss in my right. It took me about 3 weeks to get used to it but I made a stupid mistake, I watched a video too loudly on my phone which resulted in a fire alarm in my right ear. My advice on this portion would be to be mindful when playing audio. I had the speaker way too loud and close to my face. It's up to you to figure out what volume you're comfortable with, but ease in slowly; this condition takes time.

After that, I had gotten used to it again after about 3 weeks and made another error. I got into a loud truck, assuming that my earmuffs would protect me. I developed new tones and an increase in volume. It's been a few weeks of hell, but the tones are starting to drop off and volume is returning to normal. I recommend to not rely on even the best earmuffs to protect you. If a situation is too loud and you feel uncomfortable, my best advice would be to avoid the situation entirely. Hearing protection is helpful but not a 100% guarantee.

Don't judge yourself harshly if you have a setback or spike. We've all been desperate to return to normal and many of us have put ourselves in situations we're uncomfortable with. This is a complex affliction and different people have different tolerances and mindsets.

Go with your gut in all situations.

Another piece of advice is to not freak out over sudden, short noises. From my experience and from what I've read on this forum, most people spike to noises mostly if they're sustained over a longer period of time. I've had freak outs over doors slamming and ovens closing loudly but they've never changed the character of my tinnitus. You may be different but this is what I've noticed for myself. These short events are nearly inevitable and will likely happen unless you protect everywhere 24/7 (constant protection is a matter of debate here and I won't get into it).

Everyone has different tolerances and things that spike them. I'm only 2 months in and still have a lot to learn.

In summary: be mindful about audio and always go with your gut; avoid situations that feel too loud. Earmuffs and earplugs are helpful but not 100% in a very loud environment.

I'm sure I'll have more to add in the future (unless I'm cured!) which is still very possible if you're in the early or even later stages.

God bless you and never give up,
      Edub

2. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Glad to read that 2 months in, you are able to find a certain form of logic in your tinnitus trend: what you should and should not do. This will tremendously help you through the years :)

I would be a bit careful with the "go with your gut" though, because your "gut" is widely influenced by your psychological trend and current state of mind, while hearing damages do not follow this rule.

In a few years, your gut could tell you you're fine going to a concert with double protection, because it's been years since you last had a setback. Or it could tell you you really do not need to be that careful anymore, as you believe everything is stable. It could be dangerous at some point.

After 15 years of living with severe tinnitus, I can tell you gut will not always be your best friend in this long story of tinnitus :)

I believe wisdom lies in a good balance between your gut and objective analysis of the situation.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    3. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Have you ever managed to go to any loud venue with earplugs, like a loud bar/nightclub or concert, without getting a bad spike?

I got a terrible spike from just a dog barking, then from driving and other normal things. Such a curse.

4. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, I stopped going to loud venues because even moderate sound environments give me spikes. I had to completely adapt to a new form of living: no concerts, no headphones, no bars, no clubs, minimum driving, etc.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. brixenbrixen
      In pain

brixenbrixen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI
      This sounds like my life now @Pitseleh.

• Agree Agree x 2