2 Weeks in 20-30 dB Environment with Moderate Tinnitus Caused by a Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michellejean, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      6A7CF680-810E-4097-9550-E6EF82CE186A.jpeg
      6489FCAF-462B-4AED-9CD5-EE1B8A057714.jpeg
      56B7A1C0-DEA8-47F0-A9FB-BB85A61799A8.jpeg

I’ve had tinnitus now for 6 months. It took me 4 months to be able to be in a silent environment. In silence my tinnitus sounded like a 2/10 with a lot of head noise and pure tones. 30 dB, speech, tv on low, refrigerator turning on could mask it easily, however when it was masked I’d have a terrible reaction with my tinnitus and it would feel like a 10/10 electric shortage occurring in my brain.

5 weeks ago I got a surgery to put tubes in my ears. My ENT said my left ear was just loaded with rubbery gunk I side of it and it would have never gone away on its own. My right ear has a teensy bit of fluid. Well fluid gone and my tinnitus spike to a 10/10. I could hear it on the highway with the window down.

The past two weeks my family and I have vacationed in France and Romania. My boyfriend and his family are Romanian. It’s over all been a lovely trip except my tinnitus has not settled much. And the craziest part is I’ve been in absolute silence these two weeks. We stayed at a farm in Allevard and my phone registered 20 dB of ambient sound inside and 28-35 dB outside. In Romania it is even quieter.

I’ve had to up my disease of Ativan from nothing to 2.5 mgs a day just to keep from going crazy. I’ve had fantasies of stabbing knives into my ears. It’s weird.

My whole head sounds like the drain of a toilet if that even makes sense. I am still praying and telling myself that it will take another 5 months to get back to where I was.

But I’ve been having fun! Despite thinking about my tinnitus a majority of the time it’s cool to be in all this silence and have minutes in time where I am so focused on something I don’t notice my tinnitus. This gives me hope. I fear I made a bad choice with the surgery but what can I do!? Nothing!! Lol

Thinking of you guys. This is my last day in paradise. Heading to Bucharest now!
      And I’ve got a dope tan!!

Don’t get me wrong I had 4 mental breakdowns but at least I’m trying. I hope this is a positive post for some of you guys. My tinnitus is only masked at like 50 dbs now and when it’s masked I hear electricity in my head it actually hurts like a dog whistle. Time will heal all. I hope. Love you guys!

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Like Like x 3
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      In my opinion you're doing the right thing for you, your child and your boyfriend. You're enjoying yourself despite your tinnitus. There are certain things I cut back on as a result of my tinnitus, but vacationing is not one of them. I enjoy them and they help me take my mind off of the ringing. Continue to enjoy yourself despite the sound.
      PS Love the photos.
      Mike

3. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It is good to have a nice vacation trip in Europe.
      We are all happy for you.
      Please be patient with your T.
      You provided very nice photos which enrich our reclusive T lives.
      Thank you and God bless !

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @Michael B i feel this vacation was incredibly important for me in the middle of a terrible spike I needed to get out of my house. This is such a crazy mental game. How are you these days?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @robHing I am glad you enjoyed the photos ! I have better ones of the landscape I should have posted. How are you doing??

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      5AAB7171-2EA5-479E-A41E-BDBB6BA04B10.jpeg 632C85AE-CC74-444F-AD59-B0F69DCDFFFF.jpeg CE39B6A7-BFBD-4B3F-A90D-67B5D81B800B.jpeg CCEB5F51-F686-4BD4-ACF2-C27E0AF2C3BD.jpeg

Grignan France

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      2CAFA51A-E6DF-4298-BB4C-5F1D25C498AC.jpeg 7886298B-7077-4840-BDFF-D12971CB6C02.jpeg 68E33833-E789-4574-B83D-E091306E56F1.jpeg B561D27E-F343-4D1A-80E4-2EAF7D994AA4.jpeg Allevard France

• Like Like x 4
    8. robHing

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am really glad that you have a good time.
      My ears have both T & H. They are very sensitive and easily spiked.
      I can not travel in airplane due to engine noise.
      I stay home most of the time.

Enjoy your trip and God bless !

PS: You have a beautiful daughter. :)

9. robHing

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow... Europe is very beautiful ! It has its history and scenery.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is possible that in a year, you will feel a lot better. Ears take forever to heal, and in your case they require time to recover after the surgery.

Did it feel safe in Romania?

11. Michael B
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      After 7 years with this, I have to honestly say it's been a game changer. I've never dealt with anything quite like it. That's a blessing & a curse. I could be dealing with other things as well as tinnitus and fortunately I'm not. I feel blessed in that sense.
      Love the new photos.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @robHing how long have you had tinnitus for? I am so sorry you aren’t able to be around noisy environments due to hyperacusis. I truly hope in time this disappears for you.

Thank you, my daughter is my world. I wouldn’t be half as capable of getting through this were it not for her.

Europe is beautiful! Just amazing. I’m finally on the bus home back in Boston and exhausted Beyond words.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @Michael B thank you for your comment on the photos. Any advice you can offer me? How is your tinnitus as far as perception or noticing it Day to day at 7 years in?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @Bill Bauer that is what I keep telling myself. In one year things will be better. I get sad or emotional and tell myself I won’t have these same thoughts and feelings abyear from now. It will be different.

This was my third time visiting Romania. I love it and yes I feel very safe however I am traveling with my extended family who are native to Romania.

I feel like 60% of Romanians do not like me because I am American. Also these same 60% have a nasty attitude. On the other hand there are many friendly and lovely Romanian people also.

How is your tinnitus Bill? I see all your posts around and can’t peg you. Is it mild? It’s been a year and a half now ? What’s your story?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Michael B
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Michellejean I only wish others would post photos. It would be nice to connect people's lives with their words.
      What helped me initially was accepting the fact that I have this and not hesitating to say when it's affecting me.
      I'm also blessed with a wife who is very understanding. I don't hesitate to tell her when I'm having a bad day. She wants to know.
      I appreciate the good days. I really do. And thank goodness I have them.
      The bad days are a struggle but I tend to keep myself busy and distracted. Distraction is key.
      When all else fails, what gets me through the bad days is the hope for a better day tomorrow.
      Mike

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @Michael B it’s like your speaking to my soul. I feel the same way as you. And have a great partner who genuinely cares and tries to be there for me even though he knows there is little he can do but hold me.

I hope the anxiety of my spike settles soon. I hope I find baselin again one day. I regret ever having my grommet surgery. I was just trying to help myself but it made everything so much worse.

I am so glad you have a supportive wife. I think a lot of tinnitus sufferers who don’t have a support system have such a harder time and I feel so sad for anyone alone with this condition.

• Hug Hug x 1