4 Years Later, Tinnitus Recently Got Worse, Desperate for Help — Possible ETD?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by yup, Jul 28, 2021.

1. yup

yup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      diving
      Dear all,

I have been a lurker on this forum for some time and I've finally decided to introduce myself as I feel I'm going to be here for the long term.

When I was about 19 years old (I am 47 now), I went diving and had trouble equalizing the air pressure in my left ear. I got checked out immediately afterwards and there was no perforated ear drum found or anything like that. I was left with extremely mild tinnitus which I barely heard even at night.

Four years ago (2017) in March there were some climatic changes in air pressure (I live in Brighton UK) and I developed pretty severe tinnitus. I went to see an acupuncturist who told me he had seen quite a number of people with ear trouble. Anyway, I tried acupuncture with no success and started taking vitamin D which seemed to help. As well as the tinnitus in my left ear I also developed quite a bit of pain in that ear as well which I still have today.

I went to see an ENT twice (in 2018 and then in 2019) who basically said I had minor age-related hearing loss that was worse in my right ear at the higher frequencies. He said it wasn't worth me having hearing aids. I wasn't offered any help with the tinnitus despite this being the reason I was referred by my GP. Incidentally, my GP said I had slight scaring in my left ear but the ENT found nothing and could not explain the pain in my left ear either.

So the situation now is that as of March this year, I have lost my job, my house and my partner because of the tinnitus. The ringing is now an 8/10 and also moved to my right ear. I hear it 24/7 and sleep about 3 hours a night. I have had to move in with my elderly parents. This has destroyed my life and obviously the stress of losing everything has made it worse. I really don't know what to do. I don't want to go on anti-depressants because this can make it worse.

Can anyone recommend a private ENT in Hampshire UK? Anyone been to the Tinnitus Clinic? Any good? I hear they are offering Lenire. I am done with the NHS as they just won't/can't help me. Anyone know what might be causing the ear pain?

TBH, I am thinking of going to Ireland and paying out for Lenire, does anyone think this could help?

Sam

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. tylerpoor73

tylerpoor73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss? WHM? stimulant?
      Hi. I hope you are doing well. I don't have any answers as I am new to tinnitus. Just wondering if things have gotten any better for you? Best wishes.

3. slc

slc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      How are you doing? Have things improved at all? I first developed catastrophic hyperacusis and tinnitus 10 years ago, 6 months after my father died. The hyperacusis was so severe I could hear the inside workings of a CD player and crickets sounded like jet planes. Here are some things to try:
      • Ayurveda: get vata oil which calms the nervous system. Massage into scalp and behind ears on the bump xyphoid process. Also massage soles of feet. You can even do a whole body massage in a warm bathroom and then shower off.
      • Or, try a hot bath with Epsom salts before bed.
      • Valerian and Melatonin to help sleep. Also order jatamansi oil and rub on forehead just before bed. You can also rub a drop or two on nostrils and behind ear.
      • Eat warming soothing foods especially in winter (hot cereal, soups, veggie stews, kitchari...)
      • If you are absolutely desperate, you can try Klonopin, 0.5 mg 2 hours before bed. Beware, some people have a really rough time coming off this, but it may be a reasonable option given how tough things are now. Maybe use 1 mg max, no more than that. I would do this in the evening for sleep. It's also used as an off-label drug for tinnitus.
      • If you play guitar, that got me through some really, really tough times. Acoustic, not metal string.
      • Maybe, just maybe you can find a sound such as an ocean sound that soothes rather than provokes reaction.
      Good luck!!!

I have seen some good years and more difficult ones after the initial catastrophic crisis that lasted more than a year. There are days where I am down to a 4 out of 10, although due to recent exposure to an alarm I've experienced a 2 month spike. There is hope, although it's hard to believe when things are dire.

PS: Lenire has had mixed reviews on Tinnitus Talk at best. It's probably not worth pursuing; however, Dr. Susan Shore's device may be available for treatment if approval goes well. Her research is much tighter, double blind studies with some promising results. I would wait for that.

• Like Like x 2