7 Months In — Do All Tinnitus Sufferers Feel Better After 1-2 Years?

Discussion in 'Support' started by magiccat, Mar 31, 2019.

1. magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      Hello!

I am 7 months in today with my horrible tinnitus which I got after an acoustic trauma. Even though I am sleeping as normal now (big victory for me since I had HUGE panic attacks/depression the first 6 months) I am greatly struggling since my tinnitus is so load and high-pitched (truly horrible). The doctors say that I don't have any hearing loss but I tried myself with a frequency app and I can notice that I don't hear as good on my left ear as on my right (tinnitus is also very much worse on my left) so I am thinking I might have some hearing damage in the higher frequencies (16-17 kHz) on both ears.

I am now back to school which feels good but I can't handle full time studies yet. The mum of a friend of mine is a psychologist and told me almost all tinnitus sufferers feel better after 1-2 years and that tinnitus tends to fade out (subside a bit). Can someone verify this? Does tinnitus tend to subside or get softer? Even after 7 months or so? Mine has unfortunately not gotten better but I am still hoping and fighting to get my life back.

I wish you all the best, all insights are welcome.

/J

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      When did you get tinnitus? Has yours gotten any better since you first got it?

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Based on what you are saying those are extremely high frequencies which really are clinically insignificant for anything, the only problem is losing them can still cause tinnitus.

Some people have trouble hearing in background noise/music in normal ranges (250 Hz-10 kHz) and are told no hearing loss. That's what upsets us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Yes a lot, hearing improved and it faded low.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      Yes exactly, I find it so difficult to wrap my head around how I have managed to get SO bad tinnitus with that hearing loss... just hoping it gets better. Glad to hear yours faded! Do you still hear it a little bit? How long did it take for yours to improve?

7. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How did you fix your sleep issue? I'm three months in and still don't have good sleep (taking meds as well). My tinnitus also gets louder at night and when trying to sleep (closing my eyes with deep breathing).

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      I know 3 months feel like a long time (an eternity when you're struggling) but you need to give your body more time to handle this new sound. In the beginning, sleeping was something totally impossible for me. I took lots of different sleeping pills which didn't bite on me since my body was in such a high stress, constantly in fight or fly. One time I couldn't sleep even though I tried some VERY strong ones my mum got after a big leg-operation, my doctor later said "wow, that was risky....", but i didn't sleep on them either! Thats how huge my sleeping problems were. The only thing that really fixed my sleeping-problems were giving it time. I think after 5 months, I could try to take half of the sleeping pill, worked sometimes and sometimes I was back on normal dose. And after 6 months my brain had gotten better used to the sound so I became more relaxed. I think it is just a natural process that will happen! I took Propavan (don't know the name in other countries) to sleep. Mine also got loader when I did deep breathing, but sleeping got better anyways!

• Like Like x 1
    9. jhr

jhr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have had the condition for over 25 years and, unfortunately, it has not abated at all. I only really notice the condition when there is no background noise and have not had problems with lost sleep or anxiety/depression so I am lucky.

10. T Toledo OH

T Toledo OH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely loud noise and earbuds
      Contrast - have you habituated or are you still suffering? I see you on here a lot pointing scams or discouraging people from using sound therapies.

I was under the impression you are still having a rough time.