A List of Places Where You Could Be Exposed to Loud Noises. Places to Watch Out for.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Nov 2, 2017.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There are posts on this site saying that magnesium promotes healing as far as T is concerned. Perhaps some people have trouble tolerating it... I have been taking it for months. I am not sure whether it has been helpful, but at least it doesn't seem to be hurting me.

2. Codaz

Codaz Member

I absolutely have to do an MRI and I am very scared.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I did an MRI on Dec 10, wear good earplugs, and ask for them to put extra cushion around your ears, tell them you have Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. Codaz

Codaz Member

Musicians earplugs with filters or something else? Cushion around the ears, what do you mean?

5. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Believe it or not---church. Our church has a band that probably doesn't know that their volume level is loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage. Then there are those of us with T.

Sad to say that we had to quit going. Just can't take it, and don't have the courage to say anything.

6. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I can't believe there isn't a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers of these devices. I can't count how many people have reported that they had T after a cleaning. It blew mine through the roof.

7. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Without an objective tinnitus measurement technique, I doubt any such lawsuit would be feasible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I used foam and they gave me padded cushions to make sure the T dosent go up.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Codaz

Codaz Member

You mean like this on the left?

I heard that the headphones on the right are pretty useless.

Siemens Magnetom Skyra MRI advises 30dB SNR hearing protection in their manual and has 88.3 dB at the loudest (3 Tesla).

Pp99Nhc.png

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Damien Cavanagh
      No Mood

Damien Cavanagh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Distorted PA at a club
      I think this is a very useful thread.

I like the opening window/door slamming advice. I've learned the hard way too.

I always wear earmuffs in the kitchen, even if I'm just making a cup of tea.

I wear earplugs if talking in a group, especially in a pub or cafe. Group voices get loud, beer glasses clank... after an hour of that I get a spike if I don't put the plugs in.

I've been to the cinema twice since onset 4 months ago and have worn plugs + muffs. Surprisingly, the audio was still clear to me.

I walked into a loud sports bar to watch Ireland v England rugby the other day, with plugs in of course. Bought a beer (well- Somerset scrumpy actually. I find beer spikes my 'pulsatile' T the next day....) went to the back of the room, and felt pretty comfortable. But after 10 minutes I downed the beer and left. It just wasn't worth the risk (shame as England won a great match :) )

I wear ear plugs at the scanners in the supermarket.

But when walking around town, or working out in the gym, and most other times my ears go commando :) I find that if I haven't had to wear plugs at all for a day or so, my ears just 'feel' better.

However, I am also incredibly reckless... twice now I have actually *performed* solo on guitar at open mic sessions, tying to get some of my life back. Of course I wore plugs both times, made sure I was standing behind the PA etc, and I didn't get a spike. But I fully agree with the wizened sages here that would say I may have delayed or prevented some healing. I need to kick the habit quickly.