A Physical Experiment for Those Whose Tinnitus Is NOT from Loud Noise Exposure

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by InDespair, May 6, 2019.

1. InDespair

InDespair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/12/2014
      This experiment is not for people who were exposed to a very loud noise and also have hearing loss.

This is for the rest. if you want to know the science behind this scroll all the way down.

Stand in front of a mirror, good posture and look straight forward, not to any side. hands should be down and in one horizontal line

Do a shoulder shrug like this until you feel like you can't go up anymore, if your body tells you "I can't move up anymore" don't force it:

shoulder_shrugs_1-png.png

Three questions:

1) Can you pull your shoulders up almost all the way to your ears like in the picture and are they in one line?

2) Can you pull one shoulder up more than the other? If yes, do you have tinnitus in the side of the shoulder of which you can't move all the way up?

3) does any shoulder start shaking after 3-5 seconds in the air?

Science behind:
      In some people there is shoulder & levator scapula(google it) instability, causing a syndrome I am researching(I have it). computer use can cause this syndrome like in my case - i am a programmer. basically what happens is that this unstable levator scapula is getting pushed forward due to weakness or other reason, rubbing against the posterior scalene. what happens next is tinnitus due to unknown reason, and you also get head-forward posture because of this. I am suspecting a nerve that is compressed due to this mechanism. when the nerve is compressed too much and over time it it is severely damaged. you can also get headaches by this syndrome, I have these headaches too in the same side of my tinnitus.what is is behind this experiment? simply put, the levator scapula helps raising the shoulders up. if you can't raise both shoulders equally(or they start shaking) or also they don't reach all the way up, there is a possibility that you have this syndrome. check how tight is your neck too. why you can't raise the shoulders all the way up is possibly due to levator scapula physically blocking the shoulder from free motion, because it is misplaced & also there is weakness.

I have reduced my tinnitus by 85 percent simply by doing a few levator scapula and shoulder exercise, and also maintaining a perfect posture with a perfect chair. I will continue to update if there is interest.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. BreachOfEuphoria
      Thinking

BreachOfEuphoria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm very interested in this.
      I will reply tomorrow to your topic. Just writing this post so I don't forget.

• Creative Creative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      InDespair

InDespair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/12/2014
      Hello everyone. people keep private messaging me about results or questions. I would prefer they would post it here though. so - most want to know what I found out. I will copy paste one answer:
      "no-one seems to reply to my thread so I assume my injury is very rare; therefore I come here once in a day at most.
      basically I was right about my tinnitus situation.
      my L. Scapulae is injured quite badly. sadly it is because I was a former programmer raising my hand up a lot. whenever I can't raise my right shoulder up like I showed in the picture above - I have severe tinnitus in my right ear. also my entire neck goes forward as a result. I have found that the Levator Scapulae is very tight at shoulder raising, because it is one of its main functions - and when it is injured it doesn't function properly. that's one reason I used to identify this injury. the 2nd one is stretching that muscle is very painful. 3rd it feels like a tight, fat rubber.
      stretching it very very lightly does help to calm it down though. also, simple shoulder-shrug exercise or chin tucks help. when it is fully relaxed - I hear something very close to complete silence. I will have to concentrate very hard just so I will hear a very low, and stable T. also shoulder shrug works - that's a key sign I always check and it is accurate every time.
      I am going to see a professor regarding this problem pretty soon. this will be interesting. I am not claiming to understand this entire situation 100%. But I do know 100% it is what got my party started. I will report if anyone is interested. "

Edit: when I first started this thread I thought maybe my situation is pretty common. now I understand it is rare - and tinnitus has more than 1000 causes. still i would be happy if i helped even 1 person here.

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There may be some influence of bad posture, hunched shoulders, head forward etc to hyperacusis and tinnitus. Mine is caused by loud sound, but I also have back problems.

I go to a physiotherapist that has a machine with heat and radiation, in theory good for the blood flow and to be less cramped. My body reaction is always the same after the massage, first day sounds get calmer and I understand worse, second day I hear even less and my body start getting cramped again, third day, I hear louder and maybe this is because my bad posture came back to its original place, I dont know.

The thing is these cramps and shoulder, neck issues do not go away, they got cronic.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      InDespair

InDespair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/12/2014
      Back problems do not cause T as far as I know(unless it affects the neck). if your T is affected by posture then maybe it is neck-related. I know my T is neck related for sure;
      When you conduct the same expeirement and the result are always the same, you are on to something, in my opinion.

6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @InDespair
      Agree. Posture and forward head bending can lead to many conditions and diseases where multiple physical reactions happen and any trauma with that can cause tinnitus. Your mention of scapular is discussed in this link. There are also other articles by the authors that are worth reading with physical tinnitus. One problem is that many don't either want to do the homework or they are just unable.

https://trainingandrehabilitation.com/permanently-resolve-scapular-dyskinesis/

7. Stan M

Stan M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wish I knew
      64 years old.

Three questions:

1) Can you pull your shoulders up almost all the way to your ears like in the picture and are they in one line? Yes, in fact looks like the same place as in the pictures.

2) Can you pull one shoulder up more than the other? If yes, do you have tinnitus in the side of the shoulder of which you can't move all the way up? Nope, they are even

3) Does any shoulder start shaking after 3-5 seconds in the air? no shaking.

8. Extreme
      Paranoid

Extreme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      1. Yes
      2. No
      3. No

I'm a major gamer and have had a massive amount of computer usage. I also have a degree in Computer Animation. Never had any ear ringing until less than two months ago.
      I do have terrible posture. I do have neck issues. I see a chiropractor and massage therapist weekly for this.

9. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Wow. My tinnitus is not noise induced, but I do have a pinched nerve that affects my scapula. I injured it about 7 years ago, but my tinnitus began just over 17 months ago. I did your experiment and my right side began to shake as you said. That's the side of the injury and also my tinnitus. My scapula would protrude following the injury and I could barely raise my arm over my head. I did go for PT which gave me back maybe 80% use in that arm. I do experience weakness as well. You very well might be on to something here.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      InDespair

InDespair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/12/2014
      actually i was wrong - its not the scapula but some damaged fiber of in the trapezius that produces tinnitus in my case. see my latest thread, where i confirmed it 100%.