A Positive Thread: What Calms Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa88, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Nancy Angel

Nancy Angel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know. It just began one day.
      I try to NOT think about my ears ringing. I have gotten pretty good at this. :) Of course, this is much more difficult in high pitch mode. The worst time for me ... or when I notice it more ... is at home in the quiet. I try to avoid any sounds that will trigger high pitch mode.

2. Steffi

Steffi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (initially)
      500mg (one capsule) of paracetamol calms my T when it is at its worst. Takes it down a couple of notches. Sounds ridiculous but it works for me.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/22/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just trying to relax. Lying down, taking a few deep breaths, and (most of all) prayer.

My T was caused by a virus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Leonardo Aguiar
      Relaxed

Leonardo Aguiar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably some weird drug I took
      same same here

• Like Like x 1
    5. Morg

Morg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Previous exposure to loud music, then caught a cold.
      Sleep is #1. Without it, all coping skills seem to go out the window and the T seems louder to boot.

If it's bad, and I start really focusing on something else, something that takes concentration, and maybe even if I have some light background noise on, after a while often the T's changed for the better or I stop noticing it.

Playing guitar has also been very therapeutic, as it requires memory, concentration, timing, using your ears, etc. Video games might also help.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Morg

Morg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Previous exposure to loud music, then caught a cold.
      Same here!! But it was also preceded by noise exposure. It definitely came on directly with the virus though, and days after the noise exposure.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Sleep, which I have been taking back and I'm pretty sure if my poor muscles would quite spasming it'd be perfect. Car rides, physical work as long as I don't piss my neck off, walking, good posture! and sitting up in a hardback chair. I also think my T likes this one nature track and music in general.

Showers kick in my high pitch ring and then everything calms down for a little while. Though the high pitch "ring of doom" (LotR joke to kill it) is coming less and less. Not even kicking in with yesterday's shower.

Yoga and a specialized exercise routine for my neck helps as well. Not to mention its pretty nice after a massage that is then followed up the next day by a chiropractic adjustment and acupuncture.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Patrick Keough

Patrick Keough Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vertgo
      You're the second person to mention beer helping T. I notice this as well however it seems it picks back up the next day if I drink a few beers or wine. May be the beer just relaxes us and takes the edge off the T.