A Question for ETD Sufferers

Discussion in 'Support' started by Owen, May 6, 2016.

1. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I don't believe ETD to be the only problem, but it definitely exacerbates my tinnitus. Both my tinnitus and ETD were brought on by a systemic inflammatory response and over time, both have improved slightly (and I mean many months rather than weeks to improve). Lying down makes it a lot worse - if I fall asleep upright the tinnitus is no worse when I wake up, or if I lie down and don't sleep it slowly gets worse, along with more severe squelching, popping and crackling noises appearing in my ear, so it is the lying down, rather than sleeping that exacerbates it - it is also not blood pressure, as exercise makes no difference and I can feel the slow reduction in fluid around the ear when I get up (it take between 30 minutes to 1 hour to settle after I get up).

My question to those sufferers is for any ideas that might help expedite an improvement in the ETD. I have tried/continue to try the following, but I'm wondering what was or is the most beneficial to someone else and how long it took to see any benefit, as none have seemed to make difference for me:

Heat pack on ear
      Hot showers
      Steam inhalations
      Systemic and topical decongestants
      systemic anti-histamines
      Nasal steroids
      Neti-pot washes
      Probably others?!?!?

I've not had/tried any of the following:
      Dymista (a topical nasal steroid and anti-histamine) - was this any good, I've seen the odd claim that it helps?
      Grommets
      Anything else?

2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Tube dilatation surgery. I am getting that done probably later this year. Don't know though if it is performed in your country.. It's a pretty new procedure originating from a heart surgery method

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @seal I am aware of tube dilation, but because I suffer with ETD intermittently there is a huge reluctance for the doctors to try anything much - hence things like nasal sprays and steaming. Some days I can feel my right ear start to open a bit and the tinnitus fades to nearly zero and then, for no reason I can find, it seals back up, becomes really clogged feeling and the tinnitus gets worse.

Did you find any of the things I've tried/questioned at all useful? How long have you had ETD?

4. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I have had it for 3 years and steam inhalation and cortisone nasal sprays do help a little bit but in my case not a lot. I have constant pressure problems in both ears especially in the left one..
      You could also try infrared light or an ear popper. (Though the ear popper is usually used for glue ears) I tried those too but they didn't work for me. So unfortunately there isn't a whirl lot of good advice I good give to you. Except for also looking into the surgery if nothing else really helps for you!

5. Trish123

Trish123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Heat is usually is the best option.

6. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Dymista helps with the T, if my experience over the last 9 days is any indication. As for how long one must use it before coming off, I'm afraid I can't say.

7. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      Drinking ice cold water opens mine up for a day. I can feel mine closing back up too. It also seems the central air might be keeping my nose too dry and inflamed. Outdoor humid air is probably better. I never lay flat anymore. A mucusless diet is my next step.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      A scarf of shirt wrapped around your head and nose keeps moisture in.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      I have been drinking ice cold water all day. What I do is turn my head left and right to get my whole throat. Tonight before bed I "oil pulled" (google it). I rinsed and hacked, all of the sudden my ear opened up. I am hearing more. My new routine!

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hadn't heard of this before. I'm not sure I understand how or why it would work. Is it more related to the throat clearing afterwards that works, rather than the oil?

11. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      It's supposed to pull toxins from your body. That is really all I know.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess

http://patient.info/forums/discuss/my-ear-sorted--24158?page=1

This just worked for me.