Completed A Study Of The Effects Of PF-04958242 In Subjects With Age-Related Hearing Loss

To examine the safety and effects on hearing thresholds of two single-doses of PF-04958242.

tinnitus forum
    1. Tinnitus Talk
      Balanced

Tinnitus Talk Knowledge Base

Tinnitus Talk submitted a new resource:

A Study Of The Effects Of PF-04958242 In Subjects With Age-Related Hearing Loss (version 1.0) - To examine the safety and effects on hearing thresholds of two single-doses of PF-04958242.

Read more about this resource...

2. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      From the articles I've read, there's some optimism within the pharmaceuticals industry regarding this compound. I can't seem to find much information on it, which isn't surprising given that there may be intellectual property concerns involved here. This is a Phase 1 trial, and Pfizer typically doesn't reveal modes of action for an investigative compound until phase 3 trials (according to their drug pipeline release I read). It will be interesting to see where this goes, seeing as how it's aim is to measure changes in hearing thresholds for severely hearing impaired individuals (I'm assuming this is because they want to be sure there is a quantifiable improvement, as opposed to a qualitative or subjective one).

3. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      I have heard of this trial but one of the exclusions is those with moderate or severe tinnitus. Intrigued by it nonetheless.

4. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      My guess that would be because moderate or severe tinnitus can interfere with your ability to have a purely objective tonal audiogram. Effects on tinnitus are one of the efficacy measures, actually.

5. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
    6. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It appears that it's listed by Pfizer as investigative for use in schizophrenia as well. That doesn't tell us much about the compound though. We'll probably have to wait until it gets to phase 3 trials (if it does) and if it doesn't, we'll probably never find out what compound it is.

7. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It seems like this trial has closed now. I doubt Pfizer's going to be plastering results up on the web anytime soon though. :(

It would be interesting to see how this performed, although it was a phase 1 trial.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      A pipeline report by pfizer no longer has hearing loss as an investigational indication for this compound, only schizophrenia now. I would assume that means it didn't work.