About Tinnitus Spikes (Impact of Chocolate/Nutella and Napping on Tinnitus)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I was wondering... in my case, I've been craving chocolate and nutella for so long, if I eat some, what kind of spike should I expect?

Also I've been dying to take a nap, I took one the other day and tinnitus spiked so bad hahaha it turned into a high pitched monster, I had to took another one, and it changed to a lower pitch... as the day went by... the pitch went back to baseline, this should usually happen all the time.

I'm asking this, because I wanna know if there are more people taking naps despite of the spikes...

Do they usually return to baseline within a few hours?

2. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I take naps. Sometimes it makes the sound go up, and then it settles. Sometimes it makes no difference!

I've read on here that a potential reason for the "re-set" after napping is that that wondrous limbic system of ours goes into high alert during a nap (you know, to protect us at midday from all those marauding mastodons and pterydactyls).

So what I'VE begun to do is to give my mind some super-calming messages as I lay down to nap:

"It's okay, little mind, you are safe. You are in a locked house. The roof is in good condition and is not going to fall on your head. The dinosaurs are extinct. There are no tigers outside or inside. You don't live on a fault line. There may be a telemarketer or two, but you can ignore them and they can't come through the door. And last time I checked, there is no maple syrup shortage threatening to ruin your favorite meal of pancakes-and-syrup forever. So sleep, little limbic system, sleep ... "

Funny thing is, when I do say a few calming words, I usually wake up with no spike. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      "And last time I checked, there is no maple syrup shortage threatening to ruin your favorite meal of pancakes-and-syrup forever" heheheheh :D
      funny thing is, that i had a nightmare last night and it woke me up and i had a severe spike, and i started to get more comfortable and i talked to myself too... "everything is fine, this will calm down, it was a nightmare and my body reacted, thank you but eveything is fine" after a few minutes it returned to baseline :)
      so i guess you are very right! im gonna start to nap more :3
      im a little afraid to be honest hhehehe

4. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Ya know what, @Mario martz ? Have some fun with it! Experiment with self-calming techniques and whatever words/actions personally work for you. And see where it takes you. I'll bet you can nap. And self-soothing ability is a great skill to have. If life can produce tinnitus, it can also produce a person who can learn to cope better with it. That's where I'm at with this right now. Wishing that for everyone!

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      im just afraid to deal with a huge spike for a whole day...
      but im gonna give it a try, i love sleeping :(
      im like a cat, and actually i dont have much problem to fall sleep.

6. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      My bet is on you! :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      We had a sale yesterday at my store, so I told associates and myself to bring pot luck. Boy, we are bad for one day. I had so much sugar, chocolate ( snickers and Oreo balls) if I had a spike I didn't notice bc it tasted so good! Try it! I've been eating chocolate since day one ( not everyday ). I actually took a 20 minute nap yesterday and I just read your post about spike. Maybe if we don't think we could get a spike we don't. Bc now I might think next time I take a nap I will spike. It's weird.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      if you expect a spike you'll probably have one.

if you want to have chocolate then just have chocolate and let tinnitus do whatever it does.