Acamprosate + Sake Is Helping My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Rene Dufe, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Rene Dufe

Rene Dufe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sleeping with loud sound
      I have high frequency tinnitus white noise ("hiss") in both ears I wear hearing aids and have had tinnitus for over a decade, but it got bad after falling asleep with rain sounds EQ'd to compensate for my hearing loss. It sounded "real" and seemed like a good idea. I woke up to a symphony of screaming tinnitus in both ears. One year later it had gone down quite a bit, and I went to sleep with my hearing aids in place next to a new but noisy Frigidaire air conditioner. I woke up from that with increased tinnitus in both ears and a new, lower pitched tone in my right ear (which was 3 feet from the A/C). I can live with the hiss (which has lessened), but the lower tone in my right ear is what bedevils me. My particular tinnitus, BTW, is much worse when I wake up from sleeping.

I am taking: Acamprosate (666 mg 3 times a day), Sulodexide (1 oral capsule twice a day), Luteolin and Rutin (100 mg each twice a day), Ginkgo Biloba (120 mg twice a day), CoQ10 (200 mg once a day), and Melatonin (3 mg once a day).

All the above except for the Acamprosate I've been taking for over 6 months. All of them seem to help, but the biggest change has been since taking Acamprosate 2 months ago and, in the last week, please do not laugh, Sake wine. Sake helps. Not drunk, but slightly buzzed. But that is on top of the Acamprosate, which was helping a good deal on its own. As for the Sake on its own, I wouldn't know I drink Gekkeikan Sake (which is the cheap stuff). Before, every night, I drank 100% Agave Tequila in moderate quantity, but when I overdid it, the tinnitus would get worse. Regular wine (white or red) seemed to always make my tinnitus worse. But Sake is different. The effect of the Acamprosate BTW has been very gradual. My plan is to go 6 months and see where it leaves me. But I started drinking Sake just for old times sake after seeing it in the market, and I noticed a rather abrupt and significant reduction of the lower right ear tone.

So, I'm happy with it, and FWIW, I wanted to pass it on.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. JulCast
      Amused

JulCast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Soound
    3. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      For anyone who likes Saké, and would like to treat themselves, check out Dassai. It's a bit more high-end than your average supermarket Saké, but there's various prices categories:
      • Dassai 23 ($80)
      • Dassai 39 ($55)
      • Dassai 45 ($35)
      All three are excellent.

I've recently been gifted the 23, guess I'll check if it does anything. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. OppsallT
      Daring

OppsallT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If you can enjoy a drink without negative effects...

I don't know if it'll help me but I'll gladly enjoy being able to live a little more again!

If any of you have the good fortune to live in a state that has a Mitsuwa or Nijiya market (US Japanese grocery chains), they both have excellent selections of sake.

I wonder if it bothers you less than typical wines because there's a lower sugar content? (I'm not sure of the amounts, just guessing based on taste.)

• Informative Informative x 1