Accident — Exposure to Loud Pipe Noise. Spike. Anxiety. Fear. Dread.

Discussion in 'Support' started by spikedears, Jan 11, 2019.

1. spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Hello everyone,

I am suffering a spike from an exposure to loud pipe noise.

I am staying at a friends and removed my earplugs following dinner (6 of us and played crashing about etc, it is best for me to wear plugs). As I’ve removed my plugs, literally 30 seconds later someone has jumped in the shower (room above where I’m staying) which meant some loud hissing noise from the piped directly above me.

I stuck my plugs back in after around 10-20 secs - took that long to get them out of the case and in my ears.

Now worried that the exposure has given me more hearing damage. I am trying to calm down and believe that ‘everyday’ noises such as this is ok, but I’m really panicking. Going from protected to nothing, it felt and seemed so loud.

Will I be ok?

(This post may seem pathetic, but I am really stressing out right now!)

Thanks for listening. Help very much appreciated!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      Hi spikedears,

I understand your fear and as I was not there I cannot tell you for sure, but I would think that a loud pipe couldn't cause permanent damage, at least not the residential drain or waterline type.

I myself am going through a weird spike at the moment, nothing to do but to stay calm, hydrated and wait it out.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Just because you get a spike does not mean you have any hearing damage. I doubt the sound of a loud pipe can lead to hearing damage. Should you get a T spike, it will likely be temporary.

• Agree Agree x 1