Advice for Sound Masking While Camping?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kaldbakur, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Kaldbakur

Kaldbakur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants
      Hello all,

I am looking for some advice on camping. In January of this year I booked a trip for this summer where I sleep in a tent for two weeks and spend my days hiking. This past February my tinnitus went from negligible to soul crushing, especially at night. I can only fall asleep with a strong fan or white noise machine going and even then it’s a struggle. Without any background noise my tinnitus builds to a near deafening roar in my head with a high pitched hiss. I have never had difficulty falling asleep until the past couple months.

My concern is the ambient outdoor noise will not be enough to drown out the roar in my head. I bought “sleeping headphones” off Amazon and tried them last night with a sound masking app on my phone and it wasn’t loud enough. Even if I could find a masking sound sufficient to diminish my tinnitus I worry a single night would drain my phone battery completely. Do I bring 5 backup chargers?

Hiking and camping trips are what I look forward to all year and now I don’t want to go because I’m scared I won’t be able to sleep. My tinnitus fades if I’m active during the day but builds to watching-Inception-in-theaters-level roar at night. I don’t know what to do to prepare.

Any suggestions on sound masking while camping?

2. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      You can get very large capacity battery backups. I would suggest that as an option.

I would also think camping might do your tinnitus the world of good. Enjoy