Advice Needed — The Ringing Has Kept Me from Sleeping and Doing the Things I Love

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ashrosi, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ashrosi

ashrosi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone, I’m new here so I’m not sure if this is in the right spot but, about 3 weeks ago I noticed a ringing in my ears — more so on the left side. It’s only really noticeable when I’m in a quiet setting, although if I really focus on it I can hear it just about anywhere. I’m really not sure what the cause of it is because I’ve always been very careful with my hearing and such, besides of course being a teenager and listening to loud music. I’ve been to my family physician and had a tuning fork hearing test done with the results coming back normal, he also looked in my ears and determined everything looked fine. I’ve been referred to an audiologist but my appointment is months away.
      I’m honestly not sure what to do at this point, the ringing has kept me from sleeping and doing the things I love, it’s also put my anxiety into overdrive. I have tried a fan and white noise to sleep but it isn’t really helping me. I’d love to hear some success stories or any advice you have to offer.

Thank you for reading, and best wishes! :)

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      New comers ask the same questions, the hearing test only tests the bare vitals of human hearing (250 Hz-8kHz). Hearing loss outside of the bare vitals can still lead to tinnitus such as hearing loss in competing noise environments like music, or frequencies above 8 kHz.

Check this post for information:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-fullness-in-ears-tinnitus.34437/#post-430734

Audiologists are well known for giving awful advice to tinnitus sufferers, it's a meme on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
    3. LugPaul
      Sleepy

LugPaul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/18/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Instead of white noise try pink noise out... Get a sound machine with a timer so you give your ears time to rest after you fall asleep. Sound machines are cheap and you get get them off Amazon for 20$. Take Melatonin supplements to help you sleep and magnesium supplements daily as they have research backing improvement of tinnitus. Magnesium supplements are a bit expensive though. Be careful with buying medication advertising a miracle cure for tinnitus because there are none.

Also, if you are presently taking any medications do research online to see if they have properties that cause tinnitus, and switch medications if possible. Tinnitus can be caused by common medications.

Think about talking to another ENT to get a second opinion on your tinnitus. Also, consider taking tricyclic antidepressants if you are struggling to deal with the tinnitus it may be helpful. They are often prescribed to people with tinnitus.

Massages and acupuncture have sometimes shown results in alleviating tinnitus. You may also want to consider talk therapy from a psychologist. Another thing, exercise increases blood flow to your ears which helps your ears heal. Although while you are working out the ringing may or may not get louder because you hear the blood rushing to your head. Try to pick up working out because it helps with stress and healing your ears.

Don't listen to music at all through ear buds or headphones and make sure to stay away from all loud noises. Your ears are very sensitive right now and noise causes irreparable damage. If you are in a loud environment wear ear plugs. Be careful with certain ear plugs though because you can use them incorrectly and make your tinnitus worse.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Jack886

Jack886 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just a heads up,

The tricyclic antidepressants often prescribed for tinnitus patients are considered to be ototoxic and tinnitus causing even by the American Tinnitus Association Medication Guide.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashrosi

ashrosi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took your advice and was not disappointed! This doctor told me my T is the symptom of a viral infection in my Eustachian tubes, and should clear in 4-6 weeks! Thank you soooo much for encouraging getting a second opinion, I’m not sure I would’ve if it wasn’t for you. :)

• Like Like x 2
    8. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Why pink noise over white noise?

9. LugPaul
      Sleepy

LugPaul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/18/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Pink noise is the same as white noise but it’s changed slightly so your ears don’t perceive it as piercing... it’s a bit less annoying.

• Agree Agree x 1