Advice: Ototoxic Med (a Type of Antihistamine)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by StarSeven, Oct 8, 2017.

1. StarSeven
      No Mood

StarSeven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My rheumatologist gave me a new Rx and it says tinnitus is a common side effect. The med is a type of antihistamine (prescription). It also warns of cognitive confusion, drowsiness, etc... but it was the tinnitus that scared me.

I just got over a ten day tinnitus run from taking a supplement that doesn't even list tinnitus as a side effect. (I tried it twice, the first time took a week to go away, the second time, 10 days. Horrible!)

Normally I get reactive tinnitus with sounds, or allergic reactions that resolve in a couple of hours. Otherwise my tinnitus is resting at nil or a very low level, so this last "run" was extremely distressing.

I am caught between not wanting to risk even a drop of something that might give me more tinnitus. But if I don't try this she has even more aggressive ideas for a med.

Try it or not? I hear stories of people who took one pill that set them off.

Since this is also listed as ototoxic, am I crazy to try it? Or being totally unrealistic?

Have others been in this position?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    3. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Tinnitus is a side effect of many many medications.

Just to clarify, very very few meds are truly considered otoxoic - that is, the medication has a history of causing physical damage to the auditory system. This is different to drugs that can increase or start tinnitus from the brain.

If you’re not comfortable, ask your doctor for another option