After 2.5 Months, My Hearing Loss Improved

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by etn_hopes, Jul 4, 2020.

1. etn_hopes

etn_hopes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      My story continues. Something unbelievable happened yesterday and I want to share it as a hope for others.
      I consider it a success, so I will post this in the Success Stories category.

You can read my full story and the things I tried here:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...intratympanic-injections-hbot-borrelia.41548/

One day after the last of 15 HBOT treatments I went to get a medical massage.
      It was an older physiotherapist that worked on my neck and shoulders with a lot of pressure. It hurt but in a good way. It was still in Hamburg shortly before I drove back to Berlin.

In the evening, I didn't feel well at all and went to bed very early so I don't have to feel bad and could just sleep instead.

The next day I felt like I could hear the deep frequencies a little better than before. I wasn't sure if it was true, especially because it was now already more than 2.5 months since the hearing loss and all the audiograms did not show any improvement for at least 1 month.
      I tested with the Mimi iPhone app and it showed an improvement in the low frequencies. But I wanted to wait for an official audiogram by an ENT.
      So I had my appointment yesterday.

Here is the result from July 2nd 2020:
      2020-07-02.png

The low frequencies improved significantly.
      The ENT was very surprised. I was as well. I thought it was impossible that the hearing still could improve after such a long time without any improvement.

For comparison here is the audiogram from June 16th 2020:
      2020-06-16.png

And here is the audiogram from April 30th 2020:
      2020-04-30.png

It might be the after-effects of the HBOT, the strong neck massage, the medication, supplements, or a combination of all together.

One thing I also did about a week ago is sleeping without a pillow.
      It was a bit uncomfortable during the first nights, but I saw a video where it was recommended to give some relief to the neck.

So right now i can hear the voices of the people around me much better than before. The hyperacusis became much better as well. Before, everything in my right ear sounded distorted and like a ring-modulator effect. That improved a lot as well.
      My tinnitus is still there. But I feel it changing from time to time now. Sometimes it is just humming. Sometimes the high-frequency beep joins, sometimes it disappears. Something is happening in my ear.

I will keep up all the methods I have described in my story and will report if something changes.

• Like Like x 3
    2. Willlaim D

Willlaim D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss left Ear
      Glad to hear you had a good outcome with your treatment!
      It is very similar to my situation.I experienced sudden hearing loss on May 17 with tinnitus. I am at week # 7 with not much real improvement. wondering if I should get tested for lyme disease? I had prednisone 60mg for 1 week, then 3 IT injections followed by 10 HBOT sessions. I did not want to leave anything on the table regarding trying.
      I am still hoping!
      at onset my hearing loss was classified as profound hearing so I think that my chances are less..tinnitus is still my chief complaint.
      Thank you for sharing your story.

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Was there an air bone gap in your first audiometric test? Did you have a bone conduction audiometric test?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      etn_hopes

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      @Juan: no, there was never a big difference in bone and air conduction. I always heard the sounds from the bone conduction headset only in the unaffected ear.

5. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      Me too.... I have total hearing loss now in right ear,...but if I could be free of the constant hissing static noise, I can live with the hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      etn_hopes

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Update: After my hearing was significantly restored in July 2020 - I posted my success story above - I again lost the low frequencies in August, and I am now fighting not to lose more. It is very sad I have to write this. I wish it would have stayed the way it was.

I will continue my story here and post updates from time to time.

• Hug Hug x 3
    7. Darren H

Darren H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Your story gave me great hope and I had thought about it a lot. Sorry to hear this. Hope things improve again

• Like Like x 1